main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Historical influences for the opposing forces

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I've been reading the book Star Wars and History and it's quite a fascinating read. A very interesting part was comparisons between the factions we see in the films and real world groups. The influence Nazi Germany has on the Galactic Empire is obvious but I also found the comparisons between the Trade Federation and the East India Companies to be quite interesting.

Now we've all talked about who the villain will be but Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars without the 'war' and you can't fight a war without someone to fight against. So what type of faction could we be seeing in the ST and what are some ideas for how this group could be inspired by our own history?

I have an idea that was influenced by the Satsuma Rebellion against the Meiji government in Japan. This wouldn't be the main villain faction but instead a way to put some tension between the Big 3. I thought the Republic could feel they no longer need a Jedi Order to protect themselves and instead they have become highly militarized like they were during the Clone Wars. The Jedi are small in number and are basically outcasts. The Republic has become aggressive in their attempts to unify the galaxy. They feel it's best for the galaxy to be unified but Luke feels the Republic should show the galaxy that they are responsible enough to lead instead of forcing their rule on them. He goes as far as leading his Jedi Knights in open rebellion against the government. This would put a lot of tension between him and Han who could be a military leader of the Republic. Leia could be stuck in the middle not wanting to fight the Republic but also understanding Luke's side of things.

Now like I said this wouldn't be the villain faction and my main purpose with this thread is to discuss how our history could influence the new villain's forces but if anyone has any ideas like the one I presented then they're welcome too.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If "Rome" has been weakened, I could stand to see a "Carthage" rise up; with the supporters of a Republic having to work against both in order to establish a foundation for a New Republic.

3. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    I believe, as always, America will be a big proxy in this one. However, especially in VII, I think we are going to start in a paranoid post-watergate/post 9/11 mash-up spy story. The war is over, but who wants peace?

I think we will get rumblings from Corperate Entities and Media Outlets rather than analouges to Nation-States to begin with.... these lobbyists will whip up the public into a bloodlusting frenzy... and then an internal split....

It is a period of Civil War.

Paparazzo, -Jedi Joe- and Dra--- like this.
  4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Another idea I have (which could go along with the idea I put forth in my original post) is that the Republic is the villain faction. After going to all the trouble of defeating the Empire and ousting Palpatine, the Senate comes under the influence of a charismatic military leader and they give him power (or he takes it). This of course is similar to the French Revolution when Napoleon took power. The military leader could be a front for the true power behind the throne which would most likely be a Sith. This time, however, our heroes have learned from past mistakes and instead of being complicit in the seizure of power they decide to fight against it.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Invasion of the Republic by an alien species from the farthest reaches of the galaxy would be similar to the invasion of the Vikings on the Roman Empire wouldn't it? Or is that too close to the rebels from the OT?

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Love the idea of them taking inspiration from the barbarian invasions. Perhaps it was something the Empire was keeping at bay but once it fell the flood gates opened and these alien forces were unleashed on the galaxy. Many interesting stories they could take inspiration from. Perhaps Alaric I, who sacked Rome and instituted his own puppet Emperor, could influence them. Maybe one of the episodes could end on a tragic note as Coruscant is sacked and the senate comes under the control of these aliens.

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The Vikings didn't start raiding until the 8th or 9th century--the Roman Empire had disappeared by then. Rome was sacked by Visigoths (410), and a little later again by Vandals (455).

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Which is why I like the NJO series. The Sith take over in FOTJ was poorly done though. The sacking of Coruscant would be awesome on the screen. Scary as hell but awesome. Also would bring up the question of if it was a good idea to take Palpatine down. That will probably tick off a lot of people by making it that taking down Palpatine was the wrong idea. That Palpatine took down the Republic and replaced it with an Empire to stop the alien invaders. And the Death Stars were important for this.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, thank you. Wasn't sure about the whole chronology of the time period and who attacked when and what not.

10. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Your point is still the same. I'd love to see Coruscant sacked by barbarian tribes!

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    EDIT!!! DO NOT DOUBLE POST.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Oops. Sorry about that.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    All good in da hood.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  14. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Interesting thread topic, Darth Chiznuk! Were you inspired by my response to Dra--- in the Baddie thread? He brought up the idea of the Jedi being viewed as villains to the new government, and your idea that the new Jedi Order learns from the mistakes of the past rather than being complicit in assisting an attempted seizure of power does seem to have been inspired by my post there. I do think this scenario could be truly interesting to introduce some moral ambiguity, causing the Jedi to question their place in the greater galaxy. Does the GFFA really need a Jedi Order to serve and protect the Republic anymore? Does service to the greater good better help avoid conflicts or does it promote these wars taking place throughout galactic history? And if they do indeed decide to serve the Republic once again, would there be an attempt by the Jedi to try and weed out corruption in order to avoid having a power seizure in the vein of Palpatine again? If so, how much authority must they exert? It's something that I imagine would be a great challenge to the new Order, considering the most of the galactic populace viewed the Jedi in a negative light by the end of the Clone Wars, and Luke's new Order would have to do their darnedest to expunge those memories of the past while trying to convince the greater galaxy that it is in their best interest to have a Jedi Order to serve and protect the populace.

This is definitely an interesting idea as well, though it seems very similar to the Yuuzhan Vong invasion in the NJO series. IIRC, there was mention that the Empire's advance scouts had discovered the Vong in the outskirts of the galaxy and were thinking up ways to keep the the extragalactic invaders at bay with their superior technology. But it was after the Empire's fall that the Vong would eventually invade the weakened and less-prepared GFFA, and they even went so far as to conquer Coruscant and terraform the world such that it more closely resembled their own shattered homeworld. So if the ST writers decide to go this route, I'd imagine they may draw inspiration from the NJO, but I wouldn't want an exact rehash, so it would be nice to vary things up, for sure.

Edit: Ninja'd by Force Smuggler!

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I just know that groups invaded the Empire and were one of the reasons it collapsed. Going to have to look into that stuff more. I wish we had seen Grievous capturing Palpatine in ROTS. Sure we got that in the micro series and that was awesome and all but seeing the droid and clone armies fighting each other on Coruscant on the big screen would have been spectacular. Coruscant going up in flames would be crazy.

Is it possible to reply to a post when you are editing another post? Or is waiting the best thing to do? I was looking into that a couple months ago but couldn't make it work.

Dra--- likes this.
  16. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    If you can't seem to make it happen easily, you can dump as many 'replies' as you want into a "new" post and cut & paste the whole thing into an edit.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    :oops:That's so obvious. I did that once or twice early on before I figured out the reply thing. That works. Thanks.

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Why I get paid the big bucks.

Which I don't...

Assembler, EHT and Immortiss like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Circular Logic I'm not sure what post you're referring to so not sure if I saw it or not. :) The idea came to me a few days ago when I thought it'd be more interesting if the old heroes were at odds with each other when the ST begins instead of being on the same side from the start. It would cause friction between them and also trickle down to their children as I doubt Han would want his child trained as a Jedi if Luke is in open rebellion against the government that Han himself is fighting for. Han and his child would eventually be faced with the realization that Luke isn't the one wrong in this struggle and that the Republic is slowly losing the ideals that the Rebellion fought for.

20. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    The Crusades. An extragalactic civilisation invades the galaxy to destroy the heathen Jedi and rescue the galaxy from their blasphemy. Even if it means the whole galaxy must burn.

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  21. Count Yubnub

Oct 1, 2012
    Alright. I propose that the Jedi wage a Crusade upon those who have declared a War on Life Day. [face_plain]

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Since the OT was WWII, the ST could be the Cold War.
    You'd have to explain where these aliens were for the 1000 years that the republic existed.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  23. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Well since the Cold War began almost immediately after WWII, and it lasted 35-40 years, perhaps the ST is at the end of the Cold War. No longer a bi-lateral, bi-polar world, but a world increasingly destabilized and unpredictable. Where power is no longer centralized, but diffuse among multiple groups who have opposing interests.

24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think if the exisiting films draw upon both the fall of the Roman Republic and the rise of fascism in the 20th century, the new films would have to be an allegory of 21st century Western political systems... e.g. the political apathy of democracies, the 'war on terror' and the rise of general xenephobia and Nationalism... but I think that would make for a rather cynical and depressing film. ;)

Mystery_Roach, Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I reckon darth bernanke and his apprentice darth yellen find an ancient printing press in a temple on yavin 4 and flood the galaxy with credits causing runaway inflation, crippling austeritity, civil unrest, and the voting in of extreme governments. this will draw out last remaining jedis, who when slaughtered will bring forth a new galactic order.

film title will be

QE7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.