main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Historically Based Films and Dramatic License

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

Yeah. That should be a movie. Bligh's journey across the Pacific in the Bounty's longboat initially made him a hero and is actually considered by naval historians to be one of the greatest feats of seamanship of the 18th Century.

FRAGWAGON and Sarge like this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I don't understand how the Nautlis can fit through the narrow alleys of Venice in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the early 1900's. That movie actually happened right?

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG] .
    Mock the tricorne hat at your own peril. Verily, the chicks doth dig them. :p
    Haven't seen Mel Gibson's Bounty yet. Really should add it to my Netflix queue.

Saintheart likes this.
  4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The cast in that movie is insane. Anthony Hopkins, Gibson, Laurence Freaking Olivier, Daniel Day-Lewis and Liam Neeson when nobody knew they would be huge future stars, and Bernard Hill.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    So the movie is basically "Hannibal Lecter, William Wallace, Henry the Fifth, Abraham Lincoln, Ra's al-Ghul, and Theoden King take a boat trip"?

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, no, no, it's "Odin, Martin Riggs, Richard III, Bill the Butcher, Qui-Gon Jinn, and Captain Smith of the Titanic take a boat trip." And M, for good measure.

Interestingly, for the record, Olivier has a shared a role with every single co-star except the elusive Day-Lewis. He and Hopkins have both been Van Helsing, he and Gibson have both been Hamlet, he and Neeson have both been Zeus, and he and Hill have both been William III. Crazy.

Champion of the Force and Sarge like this.
  7. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Perfect timing then for Day-Lewis to do a Richard III-remake, complete with hunchback. ;)

8. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Speaking of historical licence and Richard III, let's not forget that the licence Shakespeare took with him was probably the biggest "Hollywoodisation" of history the world has ever known. Didn't even have the hunchback!

9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Ahem!

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Yep, and that article specifically says Richard had scoliosis, not the condition that causes a hunched back.

11. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004

Actually, Scoliosis can be sufficiently severe enough to cause a person to have a hunched back, which was the point of my post. Shakespeare was technically correct in depicting Richard III as a hunchback.

[​IMG]

Saintheart likes this.
  12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Why did he refuse to watch it? I ask because I have a friend who's grandfather went to see it and walked out during the Normandy landing. He said it was too intensely real; plunged him back into experiences he had in the war, which he didn't want. I don't know how intense the experience was for him, if was some kind of emotional flashback or if it was just more of a reminding or what. Either way, it makes me think that, whatever details it may get wrong, that it captures the feeling and experience of World War II pretty damn well.

Bacon164 likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think he saw the trailer and thought it would be exactly as you described.

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Oh, okay, for some reason I was reading your post as if he thought it was going to be too unrealistic.

15. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Add to this THE BOUNTY's score, composed and performed by Vangelis, who had also previously composed and
    performed scores for CHARIOTS OF FIRE, THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY, and BLADE RUNNER.