main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit History of the Old Republic

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kez-Iban, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
  2. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    This looks amazing, especially since it seems like it'll actually cover the origins of the Republic, something I was really hoping we'd see at some point in Dawn of the Jedi.

I am confused though, since I thought that there was no more Legends stuff allowed to be published as a result of Facebook posts being just too mean? Could it possibly be that Lucasfilm might actually see there's still a market for Legends stuff and wants to make money off of it?

In all seriousness, though, his comment that it's "an upcoming book that will attempt to make sense of the Star Wars: Legends stuff that is no longer considered 'canon' by LucasFilm" makes me hope that now that Legends stuff is ostensibly done, we'll see reference works like this that will actually try and fill in blanks that were seen as untouchable when there was still regularly stuff being published.

3. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    In Spite Of Rudeness ≠ Because of Rudeness

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am not sure if that means it's a Legends reference book or that it's a NEU book that's going to draw on Legends and solidify this stuff for the NEU.

I always thought that KOTOR would make it back into canon. This could be a way to do it, while also filling in the foundational period of the Republic that the late EU had started connecting with the Rakata.

If the book does either of these things, I'll be happy. If it does both, it'll be wonderful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AusStig, Apophis_ and Dawud786 like this.
  5. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    We, the author said, "Starting out 2015 with a bang by getting a gig doing Star Wars stuff for an upcoming book that will attempt to make sense of the Star Wars: Legends stuff that is no longer considered 'canon' by LucasFilm." - so, *shrug*

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Making sense of Legends could mean both "definitive Legends storyline" or "implementing Legends in a coherent fashion in the new continuity."

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

CooperTFN likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I had the same thought--but I'd be really surprised if they felt the need to nail that much history down this soon.

Riv_Shiel, Ulicus and Taalcon like this.
  8. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    There's some speculation that this is actually a book for the FFG RPG, part of the upcoming Force and Destiny line - their version of a "Dawn of the Jedi" sourcebook, perhaps.

spicer, darklordoftech and CooperTFN like this.
  9. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I would think setting up a canonical narrative history of the distant past would be shooting themselves in the foot storytelling wise right now, UNLESS it was specifically to prep for an in development feature/television production.

10. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    FFG source book makes sense. They straddle the line and are in a netherworld mixing Story Group Input and Legends world building.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    "An even longer time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...."

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It could be recognition of the idea some of us had that a pre-PT reboot wasn't that necessary. This could be a quick fix for that. It might even be geared towards bringing TOR back into the fold too.

I agree that it's not likely that they're going to bring all of the EU back and limit their storytelling potential. But something that covers some highlights: foundation of the Republic, KOTOR, TOR etc might work for them. They might see viability in continuing that brand.

Personally I'd rather TOR stay relegated to the dustbin of history. But who knows.

FFG is possible -- though given that their campaigns are OT-era I don't know what purpose that would be. But perhaps it's a sign that Force and Destiny might work in different eras too. They may be interested in expanding their campaign settings, and a past setting is safer than post-ROTJ even though FFG doesn't care about canon.

However, "making sense of Legends" doesn't really apply to a product line that feels free to use whatever it wants to use.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. RafSwi7

RafSwi7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2011
    Clarifications from reddit:

Q:Anyone got info about this book? Is it another "Legends" work or will it canonize compatible parts of "Legends" into the Disney-Canon.
    TJWright: It's an effort to make sense of all the Old Republic era stories and bring them into a flowing continuity. The 5 images on my blog are just some of the work I've done for it so I thought I would share them with some fans.

Q:So, this book will be discussing legends and not making a new canon clear. Is this correct?
    TJWright: As far as I know, yes. There may be some new stuff in there but it will fit with the existing continuity of Legends.

http://www.reddit.com/user/TJWright

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think the FFG thing is most likely; if it were a canon Legends redo I have to think there'd be big changes even from the very few hints we've gotten in the existing canon stuff.

Edit: aaand nevermind then.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, there we have it then. As far as he knows, it's Legends.

Weird, but okay. If it's FFG, the history bit might end up being just one section since an entire book of history is fluffier than even fluff fans expect.

But at least it means I don't have to face the nightmare if a recanonized TOR.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I think setting in stone aspects of a Deep Past of the Star Wars history would really be a dumb corporate/storytelling idea. Having as blank a canvas going backwards in time as going forwards has got to be highly attractive.

I like the idea of having separate narrative histories. I love religious history, because I love the way different faith traditions have vastly different mythologies of the past even if they have certain key scriptural texts in common. The points where they separate are fascinating, as are the vastly different meanings the shared canonical texts have within those differing contexts.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Maybe Revan is an in-universe legend. Maybe archeologists argue over his gender, alignment, and motives.

18. JLG

JLG Jedi Master star 1

May 11, 2005
    Not surprised, as I think there's a likelihood they'll go in a different direction for the canon "ancient history." I'd prefer they keep most of it mysterious. As much as I liked a lot of Legends Old Republic stories (see: my avatar), I was also routinely uncomfortable with writers going out of their way trying to provide answers.

The Star Wars universe finally has some mystery again. Laying down concrete answers as to the origin of the Jedi, the Sith and the Republic is the last thing I want right now, especially if they draw from things I've known since the early 90s.

I think Tolkien said it best, regarding his reluctance to compile and publish the Silmarillion:

"Part of the attraction of the Lord of the Rings is, I think, due to the glimpses of a large history in the background: an attraction like that of viewing far off an unvisited island, or seeing the towers of a distant city gleaming in a sunlit mist. To go there is to destroy the magic, unless new unattainable vistas are again revealed."

Aside from restoring that magic, it also gives us a chance to depict the Old Republic as something a little more interesting than "the exact same but thousands of years ago." Hopefully if they ever go there again, it'll be a little more Tales of the Jedi than KOTOR.

19. Slater

Slater Jedi Master star 2

Oct 12, 2014
    Speaking of your avatar, if this book tells me what happened to Zayne and Jarael during the wars and purge I can die happy, please give me this.

JLG likes this.
  20. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Agreed. Can't the Massassi just be a species that lives on Yavin? Can't Tatooine just be a desert because it has two suns?

21. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    Any new Legends material is exciting to me. I'd love to get more stuff like this down the road. Maybe definitive "essential guide" type books that encompass what is now the "complete" Star Wars: Legends.

Heck I'd even love just a few short paragraphs about what happens to the characters we love after Crucible. Doesn't have to go into huge detail. Just a little summary of what happened to the big 3 at least. We know Luke dies in the Legends continuity. He is long dead by the time of the Legacy comics. But what happened to him? I'd love just a few answers even if they don't come in the form of actual new novels or comics.

22. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Good job on the FFG speculation, except they have F&D set in the OT so a SB for an obscure era seemed... improbable. Still, speculation is fun.

23. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Whatever this is it will interesting to see. I'm looking forward to official confirmation on just what exactly this book will be and who the author is. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Old Republic stuff like Zayne and Jarael be canon, but if that's not what's happening, I'm still looking forward to the book anyway.

24. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    I'm looking forward to this, because it sounds like the biggest indicator yet of how far the back-door reintroduction of Legends material will go.

It's basically akin to taking apart a model made of Legos and reassembling it into an original creation. The picture's different, but the pieces are the same. LFL loses little by retaining elements of the pre-PT that aren't likely to have huge impacts on the ST and beyond.

For that matter, it might well behoove LFL to address the concept of "Legends" by "demythologizing" some of those stories - that is, the old "every legend has a kernel of truth." They get to retool to fit the ST, we get to retain elements of the past.

That, and I want Lord Hoth, Farfalla, and Prince Jonash e Solo back. They received excellent explanations in the EGTWE. :cool:

25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Skere" Kaan can rot on the trash heap of decanonization, though.