main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

History of theforce.net

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Le_Sammler, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I wouldn't mind researching and doing an detailed entry on the JC boards. Though my time has been brief to same many others, I do have access to MS updates from 02 - present and have the time to do it. Wouldn't mind working with some oldbies to fill in the gaps.

2. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Cause the board history is probably diffrent for each person.

Oh, I agree, it is, but that's all the more reason to get as many people contributing as possible. Personally, I never paid much attention to spoilers or the other main headlines on the site for obvious reasons, but I'd say I'm fairly familiar with the history of the JC itself and some of the more noteworthy posters who've come and gone over the years. (I'm also full of witty comments about how every MS April Fool's joke has been teh suck and the only good prank in the history of the boards was the one in which Mace Windy and I switched identities on 4/1/03. ;) )

Night's site is a useful resource, but since it only lists events that correspond to specific dates and not general trends that occurred over months and years, there's a lot missing. I'd love to see a more detailed history of TFN, or perhaps of the JC itself, which is fascinating in and of itself because it's almost like a self-sustaining society. (I maintain that the development of the JC, its population, and its government over the years is analogous to human history, only we whip through eras at a rate of about 500 RL years per board year.)

I'd be interested in contributing to the project, if a group were ever interested in making it happen. :)

3. Le_Sammler

Le_Sammler Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 21, 2005
    Would the JC Forums be one of the biggest message boards on the internet???

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's currently the 12th largest board on the web.

5. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Which website quantifies / measures this?

6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
  7. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    the history has to include the slaughter and persecution of the SK

8. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I would certainly hope so.

9. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    What is the SK?

10. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    It's actually been tried a couple of times before. I remember WattoWatta (i think that was his name, he's gone now) did a couple of shots at it, and I had a go twice but ran out of time/energy. There are many good ideas floating around, namely interviewing people for their takes on events or just the general history itself but it requires someone actually motivated to get it moving.

Although I agree that someone like Vertical or Dingo would be best i also think it doesn't really matter who does it as long as they research and interview widely. You don't actually have to know it yourself as long as you are willing to spend a lot of time piecing it all together and finding out painstakingly.

I think it would be best done as a group effort, each person taking a few interviews and putting together a few segments. This way, when it becomes outdated there is always someone left to fix it up.

If this does eventuate i'd be definately interested in helping but i don't have much time these days - if anyone gets up the motivation give me a PM and i'll send off a few leads if you are relatively new to TF.n (as I am to some people!) or offer my services if you obviously know what you are doing.

TBM.

11. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004

Sarcasm Knights

12. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Hello everyone,

I created a page for the Jedi Council Forums at Wikipedia. Just a framework at the moment, it would be good to get some more of the history in there!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_Council_Forums

13. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Hehehe. That's a very nice start. Did you get the dates from Night's website? I think the timeline would benefit from more discussion of general trends, not just things that happened on specific dates. Would it be okay if I correct a few things and insert some additional information?

The details are sketchy on whether he was a moderator at the time, or was being promoted to either moderator, or administrator.

There was no such thing as a moderator back then. The distinction didn't even exist on the JC until late in the UBB era, and most people back then were still admins. That was why everyone was so cranky when we moved to Snowboards and they all became "moderators" instead of admins.

14. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Go for it Dark Lady Mara! Yes, I used the information that was available in the website, whose link was provided in this thread.

Wikipedia can be updated by anyone, I obviously don't have 'ownership' of the content. I just added not long ago, some brief info on the different forums. The only thing I would get upset with if someone vandalizes the page.

I would like to put in a section for the social groups, so if anyone wants to help contribute to it, it would be great! :)

15. Reecee

Reecee Jedi Master star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I don't want to tamper with it for panic of accidentally destroying it with my computer illiteracy, but you should add Karen Traviss, Troy Denning, Dan Wallace, Jan Duuresema and Joe Corroney to the 'famous people/SW Author/artist list [considering they're all regulars too] :). Veronica Whitney Robinson, Ann Crispin and RA Salvatore have also posted :)

16. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I realize that, but I mainly initially concentrated on those people who have already Wikipedia pages of their own to link to.

17. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    I saw the thing on wikipedia.com last night, very awesome, IMO.

However, I went back today...they are thinking about deleting it...What's up with that?

18. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    Why would you think anyone here would know?

19. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    All the dates were removed, so it makes it look pretty insigificant. If someone adds quite a bit soon, I'm sure it'll be left alone by the wiki admins.

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    droideka27 posted on 8/12/05 1:15pm
    Why would you think anyone here would know? [hr][/blockquote]
    I don't know...I figured someone here was working on it.

21. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    I've given up on it. Tried to do something productive.... oh well!

22. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Other way around. I've been somewhat involved in the discussion on wikipedia, and they feel a really lengthy entry about when so-and-so became a moderator and when so-and-so began posting in red is not worthy of inclusion in an encyclopedia. They're of the opinion that it's the sort of thing that's only of interest to people here. Presumably, someone removed the dates in order to make it less of a self-glorification entry and more wikipedia-compliant.

I admit I can see some validity in the point of view that no one would go to wikipedia to read about internet user X, but I don't agree that the page ought to be deleted. Other websites and message boards have wikipedia entries, and I think we deserve one if anyone does. Apparently, we'll have to keep it concise and informative to the general populace, though.

This doesn't mean I've given up on the JC history project, though. I'm still working on an in-depth timeline on my hard drive. Hopefully I'll get around to finishing it someday and can make a thread out of it.

23. Le_Sammler

Mar 21, 2005
    Looking forward to it! :)

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Good luck with that project Mara, I'm hoping that you won't forget the Shaving habits. After all we were the first social thread/group to get our own icon up on the forums.

25. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmm, good point there. It certainly was a historic thread with its share of drama... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.