main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Hit it in the Center Eye"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Gunny, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    In ROTS, why would the Seperatist forces use Buzz Droids. Cutting through a ship takes more time than just blasting away with turbolasers, so why add the droids? Are buzz droids just filler for the storyline, or did they serve a purpose?

2. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Seems like they would be useful for disabling a ship, assuming they didn't tamper with life support or something.

3. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    They're small, quick and scrap. They're also more so for outside the ship, as you see in ROTS, where they aren't really endangered but can disable a ship quickly. If Anakin wasn't there, Obi's mission would've been cut extra short.

But part of me feels it was for storyline effect too, seeing as George always likes adding more and more FX and technology to each movie. Do buzz droids have their own action figures? Thats how you'll know for sure.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That's what they are used for.

5. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Does anyone know why buzz droids aren't susceptible to deflector shields? Do they only deflect laser fire?

6. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000

The Jedi interceptors don't have deflector shields.

7. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Thanks. That makes sense then.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I always kind of wondered why they didn't try to cut through the cockpit (and thus kill the pilot) and instead tried to disable the ship. Granted, Obi-Wan can't die in the prequels for obvious reasons, but were the buzz droids disabling the ship for capture or what? Why waste time taking more prisoners when the Separatists need to escape with the Chancellor?

9. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    They didn't try to cut into the cockpit because they aren't programmed to kill. Some of them might be programmed to kill, but the ones in ROTS were not.

10. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    Plus, in a space engagement as heated as the one in ROTS, two Jedi sitting in immobilized little unshielded starfighters just screams either "destroy me" or "tractor beam me and have two Jedi prisoners". To quote Longshanks, "Alive if possible. Dead... just as good".

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It's probably easier to give the droid a cutting tool which has the ability to disable a ship and essentially kill the pilot than equip it with an offensive weapon of some sort.

13. Droid

Droid Jedi Master star 1

Feb 28, 2000
    If buzz droids were built to be offensive weapons then rather than being equipped with a cutting tool they would have some sort of explosive device attached. The droids are built to perform routine maintenance outside of the ship, but during a battle they switch to attack mode.

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    The one thing I can imagine buzz droids being useful for is against gunship-sized vessels like the Millenium Falcon or whatever the Republic uses for troop transports, as a little droid with cutting tools could potentially do more damage over time in those cases than an explosive warhead would.

Other than that the buzz droids are just another unpractical-weapon-that-looks-cool-to-OOU-audience just like the AT-AT.

15. CountDoosheee

CountDoosheee Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Honestly... one Buzzdroid. Sharp stick. Windshield.

Game over for Jedi.

16. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    The Jedi of the PT are too cocky to wear flight suits, so that would work fine.

17. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Good point. I never thought about that.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not that Luke's flight suit would help much in outer space anyway. :p

19. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    They have some sort of shield tech that hold in a certain amount of atmosphere if they have to eject iirc..

20. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    I don't believe that the Rebels' flight suits had any sort of containment system built in but the clone pilots seen in ROTS may have had one. I know in EU republic commandos have a suit seal that will supply them with protection and oxygen for a period of time should a compartment decompress.

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Im pretty sure the clone pilots in ROTS had working flight suits. Even in CW I and II, the clone troopers under Tiins command go out into space and climb on the ship. However, I never understood how Tiin was perfectly unharmed.

22. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    They'd certainly add to the chaos. Plus, it seemed to me that they were a backup in case the missiles missed as they did.

Though adding sensors to detect when to deploy them makes the missiles needlessly complex.

23. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I think the missiles would have been more efficient if they just exploded whenever it ran out of fuel or whatever.

24. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    It makes no sense for the Clone pilots to have it and not the rebels pilots, but oh well.

All Clonetrooper and stormtrooper infantry suits seal up like that.

Tiin had on a space suit or clonetrooper armor on under his robes.

25. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Oct 3, 2004
    The difference being that the Republic/Empire was exceptionally well funded and could afford safety measures such as suit-containment whereas the Rebels would likely not have such funds. Realistically I was just going by the look of their flight suits. The clones wear a jumpsuit with a helmet that looks to provide some sort of seal while the rebel flight suit is self-contained with the helmet placed on the wearer's head at a later time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.