"Hit it in the Center Eye"

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Gunny, May 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    True, but as far as I know( I have no eu sources or anything else at the moment), but the rebel flight suits extend a force when they eject. Going by the films(ANH) why would they tell Porkins to eject if the suit didn't have any safety features, unless the cockpit seperates from the rest of the ship(which I doubt.) Anyways, no point in dwelling over a point that I can't prove.
  2. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah, Rebel suits had a bubble of air that extended around the pilot, which would allow them to survive for a short time.
  3. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Fair enough. To get back on the topic of buzz droids, I think their purpose was solely a plot device and something to make the action a little more personal.
  4. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    They did seem like something to add to the tension, but there still must have been some importance for buzz droids in the overall story arc.
  5. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I got the impression they may have been originally designed as a larger droid, and they may have been inspired by certain science fiction artwork. But that's pure speculation.
  6. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    My point of view is that they were placed in the story to add tension as well as highlight the bond between Obi-Wan and Anakin when Anakin refuses to leave Obi-Wan to his fate.
  7. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    and don't forget Lucas telling us that we'd really see Anakin shine as a pilot in ROTS.

I mean, I wouldn't imagine it would be relatively easy to fly a starfighter while shooting small droids off a friendly, then scraping them off with the wing.

8. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Don't forget Lucas telling us that Aurra Sing would be in Episode II.
  9. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Or him telling us that Anakin Skywalker would be shown as the most powerful Jedi in ROTS.
  10. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
  11. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Just before ROTS, when he was doing all this press to promote it. Lucas said that Anakin would be shown as the most powerful Jedi, and that Darth Vader would really get his time to shine.

Both never really happened.
  12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I think that Anakin showed that a bit in killing Count Dooku but I agree that more could have been done to showcase that statement. Regardless, let's get this back on topic.
  13. Darthbane2007 Force Ghost

star 4
    I assume that thy are designed as ship disablers; launch them at a clone fighter/jedi starfighter, and they would disable the ship, putting the pilot in danger.
  14. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus

star 5
    That's a fair point. Even if the buzz droid didn't cause the ship to crash, it still could have made the craft a sitting duck for the other CIS fighters.
  15. LordNyax113 Jedi Knight

star 3
    The Essential Guide for Droids essentially (no pun intended) puts it this way: buzz droids were cheap run of the mill fodder meant to be deployed in huge numbers so some collateral damage could be obtained. Basically, they are like BB guns to us; it'd be pretty darn hard to kill someone, but we can at least take an eye out. ;)
  16. HighlanderC Force Ghost

star 1
    What I can't understand is why didn't obi wan force push them away from the ship.... Its like jedi forget to use the force from time to time.
  17. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Although I can't exactly come up with an exact answer, I'm going to take a shot. He's flying a ship through a huge battle, with deaths every second and speeding towards a big ship. Using the force with deaths all around you isn't the most pleasant thing, and it requires a level of concentration to push them off one second of distraction could cost him flying into something.

Also, we don't exactly know how well the force works in outer space, we've never really seen the force used in open space atmospheres.

But thats just me trying to respond, I agree with your point in general.
  18. LordNyax113 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think it's been established that using the Force while piloting is not exactly a comon talent among Jedi. For example, in the Jedi Starfighter game, Adi Gallia must be trained by Saesee Tinn to use minor Force powers while piloting. I personally think the concetration required in both would be too much for some Jedi. Even Obi-Wan.
  19. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    So he stops piloting for a few moments ( something the droids pretty much took care of themselves ) and concentrates on getting rid of them... right?

Or maybe it's just not that simple?

For example - when have we ever seen Jedi Force-deflect missiles aimed at their ships?
  20. LordNyax113 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, judging by the even just small scope we had of the surrounding battle at the time, I think it is reasonable assume that even just a few seconds of neglecting your concentration on piloting could prove to be a fatal mistake. Think about it. Blaster fire everywhere, missiles, buzz droids, the list goes on. Not to mention they were in a hurry.

It can be likened to driving. Take your eyes off the road, and when you least expect it, bam! Collision.
  21. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
  22. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    There was so much going on that a few seconds of letting your guard down could kill you.
  23. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    I didn't see a whole lot of missiles or even enemy fire ( until they got close to the IH ).

And when you have buzz droids tearing apart your ship, that's also likely to kill you.

The problem with Force Push/Wave is that the cockpit is in the way, and they're in space.
  24. _Sublime_Skywalker_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Possibly it also has a connection that using the force too much is a bad thing. Jedi usually say to not exploit you're powers but Jedi naturally use the force to pilot. It's why their so good. To use the force to do something else you could be taking away that advantage as well as losing concentration as to where you're flying.

Also, it wouldn't have looked as cool if Obi Wan just force pushed the droids off. Anakin shot at them, damaging Kenobi's ship, and then had to scrape them off. That's a little more suspenseful then just pushing them away
  25. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    It took more time for Anakin to come and destroy all but one of the buzz droids by destroying Obi-Wan's wing. "Bad idea." That's a great line from that segment.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.