Hitchhiker (Young Thrawn, Wynssa Starflare, Piett, Vader, Sebulba) AUTHOR'S NOTE 5/4 !,

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Shezan, Jun 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Djuva Jedi Master

star 4
    LOL! Let's see how this turns out...
  2. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: Uh oh! DRUNK CAPTAIN ON THE DECK!!

Yes, I rather think this will be noticed. Heh, heh.

PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL: Somehow I think that the Captain will not be a Captain for much longer. And Piett will recieve a promotion of some kind.

Ah, but surely you can't be considering mutiny, dear Prophet? [face_devil]

As always, this story never fails to deliver on quality. Keep up the great, and impressive work!

Thank you! This means a lot to me indeed!
  3. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Djuva: LOL! Let's see how this turns out...

Which writer was it who said if his characters could meet him, they'd punch him in the nose for always throwing them in such awful situations? Let's say I'd rather not meet my Thrawn, or even dear darling Piett, for the next few days yet?

[face_devil] :D [face_devil] :D [face_devil]
  4. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, I don't know that I'd go so far as to suggest a muntiny. But, Lord Vader paying a suprise visit is always a cause for quality officer material to recieve promotion, is it not?
  5. Djuva Jedi Master

star 4
    Oooooooooooops, Shezan. I can just see them doing kitchen duty or scrubbing the deck with tooth-brushes side by side :)
  6. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oooooooooooops, Shezan. I can just see them doing kitchen duty or scrubbing the deck with tooth-brushes side by side

Ooohhh, you evil, evil woman. I hadn't been thinking that far, but now you've put such a mental postcard in my mind, I'm thinking of ways to make this work. Bad Djuva, bad, bad, bad! [face_laugh] [face_devil]
  7. Djuva Jedi Master

star 4
  8. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    ... and a bit more! You guys inspire me! :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I still need those calculations. In fact we may need them in the next fifteen minutes. Please have them ready."

Click.

What the--?

Still standing in the middle of the empty locker-room, Wynssa eyed the now-silent comlink. What was Thrawn up to--

Calm down. What exactly did he say?

He'd answered the call with "Bridge", so that's where he must have been. Possibly with Corlag breathing down his neck. You didn't seriously want him to go "hello, darling" in front of all the brass, did you?

Wynssa sat down rather abruptly on one of the room's wooden benches, the comlink still in her hand. "I need those calculations in the next fifteen minutes." He was telling you something, silly. Must mean he'll call back in the next quarter-hour.

Or did it mean she was supposed to call back?

Double-guessing Thrawn seemed a pretty useless exercise. This one must stay three moves ahead of anyone. Dad would love playing holochess with him. Unbidden, the mental image of Jagged Antilles sitting in his work overalls at the small game table in the back of the refueling station sprang to her mind. The memory was so vivid that for an instant she thought she could smell the durasene fumes and see the dark stains under her father's short, chipped nails, as he deftly nudged one of the miniature warriors across the board. Her throat suddenly constricted. Why would this come back to her now? She'd left Gus Treta almost eight years ago, at 17, and never been back. She'd sent a couple of holocards after a while, which hadn't been answered, even the one that included a clip from her first screen test; and a credit chip that had never been cashed. Although more recently a credit voucher she'd transmitted for her kid brother's birthday had been used in the Coronet City branch of the upscale Imperial Center toy store chain she'd picked. Her bank statement had included the article code, and she'd looked it up: a model airspeeder, half-size, just the thing, she figured, for a 12-year-old. No note of thanks ever came. She wondered what their parents had told young Wedge.

The bleep of the comlink interrupted her thoughts, and grabbing it, she flicked it on.

"Wynssa?"

"Yes, yes, I'm here!"

"Good. Where are you?"

No explanations, no superfluous words, but there was something amazingly comforting in his cool, quiet tone. "Still in the gym."

"Stay there until I call you again, and change into the overalls if you haven't yet. Wear the cap. You understand this is not a drill?"

"It's not? But--"

"I think we should be all right, but you're safer where you are than in a VIP cabin with viewports, close to the Captain's quarters. If you have to move, find some work with a group of people. Kitchen duty, cleaning detail, anything inconspicuous. Keep the comlink always with you, but out of sight, ring tone off, just the vibrating alert, understood? Thrawn out."

Click.

She stared at the dead comlink for a full minute, then, with slightly shaking hands, tied up her hair in a ponytail and stuffed it in the grey cloth cap. Thrawn's clipped words still rang in her ears. Did he expect the "Empire's Revenge" to be boarded? But who'd dare attack an Imperial Star Destroyer?
  9. DarthCuppa Jedi Master

star 1
    Two posts in two days! That's the spirit!

And I *knew* it was Wynssa Thrawn was calling!
  10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    I KNEW IT!

They are going to get boarded! Ahhh!!!
  11. DarthCuppa Jedi Master

star 1
    If they're gonna get boarded, doesn't she need a vac suit???

UP!
  12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Only if atmosphere is lost. Star Destroyers have emergency hatches for boarders, just like any other vessel. But there's also the hangers.
  13. Djuva Jedi Master

star 4

:) I loved the little detail with Wedge and the birthday present!
  14. The Butler Jedi Master

star 4
    That man...er...alien sure can multitask--running a battle and talking to his prospective girlfriend at the same time. ;)
  15. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodoand DarthCuppa: I KNEW IT!
    They are going to get boarded! Ahhh!!!

Well, if some people can't see the wisdom of listening to good advice...

If they're gonna get boarded, doesn't she need a vac suit???

Only if atmosphere is lost. Star Destroyers have emergency hatches for boarders, just like any other vessel. But there's also the hangers.

Heh. Nice to know you guys are experienced in this sort of thing... Wynssa sure isn't! [face_laugh] But I'm sure Thrawn is planning ahead...

Djuva: I loved the little detail with Wedge and the birthday present!

Thank you! I went hunting for the timeline to see the age difference between her & Wedge, and I think I've got it right.

The Butler: That man...er...alien sure can multitask--running a battle and talking to his prospective girlfriend at the same time.

Yup, isn't he just irresistible that way? [face_devil]
    Talk about Knight-Protector... :D :D :D
  16. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Djuva made me do it! Djuva made me do it!

:D [face_laugh] [face_devil]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even before he was done outlining, as succintly as he could, the behind-the-red-dwarf plan to Captain Corlag, First Officer Firmus Piett could tell it wouldn't fly. Fly? If we don't actually get attacked by pirates in the next few minutes, I have a feeling I'm gonna wish we had. Corlag teetered fractionally, and Piett caught a whiff of the captain's breath. Maker, has the man just bathed in Corellian brandy?

"Never heard anything more preposterous in my life. D'you mean you want to risk my ship in a completely irregular maneuver just because some jumped-up whippersnapper got scared and started reading stim-tea leaves in the comm reports? Which of you sorry lot"-- Corlag spun on his heel a little unsteadily to take in most of the bridge staff, his heavy bulk nearly stumbling against lieutenant Mikam at the relay weapons status station --"thought up this little wheeze?"

"That was my decision, sir" Piett began at the same time that Thrawn took one step forward, saying "I did, sir."

Corlag's beady eye raked up and down the alien lieutenant frozen at full parade attention for an awful half-minute before swiveling back to Piett. "When I agreed to take on Imperial Center's latest pet, I didn't mean to give it the key to the command room." He swung back to the stock-still young officer. "Perhaps they run at the first hint of action where you come from, lieutenant, but you'd better remember you're in the Imperial Navy now. Piett!"

"Sir?" Piett uttered in a toneless voice, registering in a flash the various expressions around the command post. Anger on young Mikam's face -- someone should really warn him to keep a better sabacc face. Janred looks disgusted -- my shaving-mirror would show me much the same, I expect. And I'd never noticed how unpleasant young Theel looks with that bovine smirk pasted on.

"After we've taken care of the riff-raff out there, see to it that Mister Thrawn here does two weeks of cleaning duty for defeatist and cowardly attitude, with docked pay and mention in his record."

"Sir, I--"

"Do you mean to challenge a direct order, Commander Piett?"

Piett forced himself to take a deep breath. "Sir, I don't, but--"

He didn't think Corlag's face could get redder. He was wrong. "If I get one more bleat out of you, Piett, you can bloody join your little alien pal on cleaning detail, d'you hear me? I'm not halfway finished with you yet! You were about to go on with this dumb-ass idea when all you had to do was drop the Empire's hammer on some pathetic sub-human pirate scum who'll probably run rather than give us a half-way decent workout! Now you'd better--"

The rest of Corlag's tirade was drowned in the howl of the bridge and sensor alarms as what looked like an entire fleet dropped out of hyperspace a mere dozen klicks away, shields and weapons fully powered, launching several squadrons of mismatched fightercraft. As he ran to the tactical console, Piett had to fight half a second's irrational feeling of relief. We're probably going to get clobbered, but at least that jackass Corlag got shut up. He didn't imagine that thought would ever get engraved on his tombstone.
  17. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Somebody give me a blaster!!! SOMEBODY GIVE ME A KRIFFIN BLASTER!!!

Looks ready to tackle and beat the crap out of Corlag
  18. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    CmdrMitthrawnuruodo: Somebody give me a blaster!!! SOMEBODY GIVE ME A KRIFFIN BLASTER!!!

[Looks ready to tackle and beat the crap out of Corlag]

Er... take a number. :D :D Lessee, there's Piett, Mikam, possibly Janred, not to mention 14 pirate ships ahead of you... [face_laugh]

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
  20. Djuva Jedi Master

star 4
    We're probably going to get clobbered, but at least that jackass Corlag got shut up. He didn't imagine that thought would ever get engraved on his tombstone.

LOL! Nah, I don't think so either! Imade you do this? Oh, I am so terribly sorry for poor Lieutenant Thrawn! ;)
  21. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    Djuva: LOL! Nah, I don't think so either! I made you do this?

Ayup. And now I've got to extricate them... [face_devil]

Oh, I am so terribly sorry for poor Lieutenant Thrawn!

Ha! Methinks you're more likely to start a new sub-genre here, called Thrawn Torture... [face_laugh] :cool: [face_devil]
  22. PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL Force Ghost

star 4
    Excellent addition, Shezan. A ticked off captain, a worthy Commander, a captivating leiutenant. And a mesmerising lady.
  23. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost

star 6
    Correction...

A ticked off drunk captain, a worthy Commander, a captivating leiutenant. And a mesmerising lady.
  24. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    PROPHEToftheCOUNCIL: Excellent addition, Shezan. A ticked off captain, a worthy Commander, a captivating lieutenant. And a mesmerising lady.

Thengyewwww! And don't forget the junior staff! It's always unwise to neglect the rooks... :cool: [face_devil]
  25. Shezan Jedi Knight

star 3
    And Thrawn is for once surprised...

:D :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rory Mikam couldn't believe how close to boiling point he felt.

While hurriedly feeding weapons stats updates to the command systems, he kept glancing in uneasy wonder at Thrawn's tall frame standing at the tac console, calmly inputting calculations under Casrah's and Piett's instructions. I would've punched Corlag in the face, instead of standing there like a statue letting that drunk call me an animal. The moron's reeking of brandy, and he's gonna get us killed.

The "Empire's Revenge" hull shuddered noticeably when its shields absorbed the first hits from the closest Dreadnaught's turbolasers. Corlag, who still hadn't sat in the command chair vacated by Piett, stumbled, grabbing the side of Mikam's console to catch himself at the last minute, and barked "Helm: all ahead full! Turbolasers: on my mark!"

Janred's readiness signal lit up on Mikam's displays. "Turbolasers ready, sir," Rory called.

"Target the Dreadnaught's superstructure and fire, full power!"

Relaying the order with the appropriate targeting computations, Mikam punched the keys, then looked up, catching Lieutenant-Commander Janred's eye just on the other side of the command walkway as the weapons officer directed the salvo from the port crewpit. Janred looks as disgusted as me, he thought fleetingly, somewhat surprised at sharing so clearly a superior officer's feelings. The "Revenge" took another hit, and Corlag repeated his order, mechanically relayed by Mikam. Does this lumbering bantha think we can just punch our way in? We are so dead.

This time the "Empire's Revenge" took a sideways hit, and Mikam felt the deckplates lurch under him with a sick feeling in his stomach. "Starboard shields down to 27%!" someone shouted from the starboard crewpit, and neither Piett not the pit's ranking officer bothered to call the man on it -- Piett usually tore a major strip off anyone bawling information across the bridge. Instead, the first officer's voice rang, only a shade tighter than usual.

"Recommend evasive maneuvers, sir."

"Evasive? Against this scum? You've lost your nerve, man! TIE control: order first two squadrons launched immediately, and two more prepped to launch at my command!"

TIEs against a fleet of capital ships? They're gonna get murdered. Rory stared across at Casrah relaying the order on the comm in a flat voice, then caught Thrawn's glittering red eyes: the alien lieutenant had half-turned from the tac console when hearing the command. His pale-blue features were composed, as usual, but the thin line of the lips told the story. He knows this is about the worst way to fight our way out of this. But there's no way anyone will listen to him now.

"Turbolasers: on my mark!"

Corlag looked willing to keep ordering strikes with most of the Star Destroyer's weapons, like the furious swats of a cornered reek. "Turbolasers ready!" Rory called between clenched teeth.

The "Empire's Revenge" took a direct hit at that very moment, and the huge ship's entire structure shook with a tortured screech. Sparks flew, hardware crashed to the deck, crewers stumbled; and in the reigning pandemonium and shouts, Captain Corlag toppled and fell heavily, head hitting the edge of Mikam's console and massive body missing the junior lieutenant's legs by inches. Numbly, Mikam gaped at the captain sprawled at his feet, uniform cap lying a couple of feet away. A dazed look on his ruddy face, Corlag was already trying to hoist himself back up. Oh no you don't, Rory thought in a flash. Two quick glances left and right reassured him that no-one was paying him much attention -- yet. Wrenching from his jacket pocket the blaster Thrawn had encouraged him to carry, he grabbed the gun by its barrel and swung it hard against Corlag's cranium. The durasteel connected with a satisfying thud, and Corlag fell back to the deck bonelessly, mouth agape. Good job. Mikam swiftly pocke
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.