main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by kahli, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    oh, THE home.

Yeh, I was briefly institutionalised but promptly escaped to the los angeles underground where I survive as a soldier of fortune. If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find me, you can hire

THE A-TEAM

oh no wait that wasn't me

2. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    H2G2 is no mistake. It's an official, Douglas-Adams-endorsed acronym. Two 'H's (Hitch / -Hiker's), two 'G's (Guide / Galaxy). It's a nice, trendy abbreviation for fans who want to baffle those not in the know.

I probably won't be able to make it on Sat, due to contradicting plans to see the same movie on the same day. This might or might not change... or WILL IT?

Sorry, folks. Nothing personal. I just despise each and every one of you. :p

3. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Baffled I was. Then after seein git, then reading it, I'll then have the ammunition to mock the "H2G2 huh" people... this said, so will those people by then...

4. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    well, see, I thought of this, but then i thought no, if it was supposed to be that, the '2's would be superior (as in to the power of 2) instead of the same size. Which is difficult to display on t'internet but easy enough in print/embroidery.

5. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Well, David and Margret gave it a pretty good review on the ABC tonight, 4 stars and 3.5 stars respectively. And I'm more inclined to believe them than the nutcase whose review was posted earlier in this thread. But it just occured to me that I am almost definitely going to be working this Saturday night, so regretably I won't be able to join anyone here who is going :(

6. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Starting some time before 5pm are we?

7. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Before 5? Oh well if you want...enjoy yourselves :)

8. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Must I repeat myself? I guess so. I attend to be there at one hour past midday ie 1pm. Thus all those working that night can still come along, unless you begin work before 5pm. Was this too hard to understand or something?

9. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    saw it. liked it. the end.

(I'll wait til a few more people have seen it before discussing it. Suffice to say, it's ultimately sweet movie not entirely like the book*)

*and in places not even remotely.

10. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    So what time is the actual movie at?

11. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Just checked their movie times:

Saturday 30th Apr
    9:45am South Bank Cinema 5
    12:10pm South Bank Cinema 5
    4:55pm South Bank Cinema 5
    7:20pm South Bank Cinema 5
    9:45pm South Bank Cinema 5

I'm assuming you will be seeing the 4:55pm session of this, if you are getting there at 1pm? I finish at 5:30pm so I won't be there

12. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    Yeach! Even the best laid plans fall apart... Guess I'll be there at Noon.

13. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Saw it Saturday.

Enjoyed it, lots of subtle comedy, and some slapstick, er, slapshovel? :p

Will be reading the book soon.

14. CCD

CCD Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 1, 2002
    I fail to see how anyone who wasn?t already completely familiar
    with Hitchhiker?s Guide could possibly follow what is going on.

Bingo.

I saw it with two people who have had no previous exposure to the book, and they didn't have much of a clue what was going on or what was supposed to be funny. I have to say I found myself laughing out of pity in a number of places.

The Good:
    The voice of the Guide.
    The bit where we zoom up on the massive rotating Guide in space, to the accompanyment of the HitchHiker's theme.
    Slartibartfast and Magarethea (sp?).
    The Marvin from the TV show lined up on the vogon homeworld.

The Bad:
    The cast.
    The dolphin song.
    The vogons.
    Trillian.
    The plot.
    Trillian.
    The middle hour (excuse me while I wet my pants with laughter about someone getting hit in the face with a shovel, lots of times, while spending ages on a pointless and irrelevant mission to the homeworld of the worst characters in the movie.)
    John Malkovich's character (I mean, wtf?)
    Deep Thought
    Zaphod's two heads and removal of backstory.
    Trillian.

I don't care if it was written by Douglas Adams, it was a hodge podge film-by-commitee mess.

Sad really, I've been looking forward to it for ages. I wonder if the TV show is available on DVD?

15. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I wonder if the TV show is available on DVD?

You're in luck:
    http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=717368

As for the movie:
    I enjoyed it the first time around - it took a while to get into the swing of things, as this contradicting version has a very different (and less-clever-line-centred) feel from the previous contradicting versions. By the end, though, I was won over. It worked as an overall story arc. (A necessary evil, since Adams made up the original radio series as he went along, sometimes still writing episodes while the cast was recording.)

I really loved it on the second viewing. It's not perfect, and it's different, but this Adams purist still found it a thoroughly enjoyable, very fitting tribute to The Great Man's work.

Garth Jennings & co. really know where their towel's at.

(Sorry.)

16. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Trillian was a touch* annoying. Martin Freeman was obviously very uncomfortable in places, there were a couple of scenes where I remember thinking 'none of them have any idea where their towels are' but overall a sweet film.

*often completely and without a doubt entirely

17. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Trillian was a touch* annoying.

Ha ha - have you seen her in the TV series? If not, check it out and you'll learn the true meaning of "annoying".

18. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Have I seen her in the TV series? not for about 20 years.

19. Grieyls

Dec 2, 2000
    I have the the TV series on DVD, it's been availible in this country since some time mid last year. C- for paying attention :p

My thoughts... I liked it :D The movie that is.

20. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Eugh, I really hated the TV series Trillian. I actually quite liked the movie Trillian, and I seem to be in the minority here. Ah well.

Yes, it was different. But it NEEDED to be different to work as a movie. Beefing up Trillian's character (because come on, in the book she's just there in the background, nothing more) and making a romance story between her and Arthur just made sense to me. It was hinted at in the books/radio play, so it's not totally out of nowhere. And it didn't bug me at all. Didn't fill me with scorn or indignation. I was surprised, then I just shrugged and said, yeah, cool. It adds character arcs and growth and development, and I liked it. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I found it quite entertaining. Like HappyBob, I'm a long-time fan of the series, and I was not in the least bit scandalised by the changes. I accepted them and enjoyed them. In fact, I think the ending was really well concieved. Putting Arthur back on Earth and giving him a choice was a really great character moment, in my opinion. I seem to be in the minority of fans who liked it, but hey, I can live with that.

Though I will agree that I think people who weren't familiar with the source material would have had a rough time trying to keep up. But that's my only major criticism. I thought the cast was great, and that the changes were acceptable, understandable and forgivable given the fact that a single, 3-act movie is a very different beast to an ongoing radio show or a series of novels. People need to understand that more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.