main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD HMAS Brisbane

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by GoobaFish, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    The former HMAS Brisbane is to be sunk off the Sunshine Coast tomorrow (Sunday July 31). I've snapped a few pics of it today already. It's in position a few nautical miles offshore, past Mujdimba (Old Woman) Island. With my Digital SLR and my 300mm zoom (Digital makes it 450mm), I was able to get this:

[image=http://www.jagerclan.com/glubbo/Brisbane%20Sinking%201%20by%20Glubbo.jpg]

It will be blown up at 10am, migrating Whales permitting. Even if the nearest Whales are as far north as Noosa or south as Straddie, they'll still hear/feel it, though.

I'll snap some pics tomorrow. You'll probably see it on the nightly news tomorrow.

2. GoobaFish

GoobaFish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    It was a lot of haze out to see yesterday morning. It did look great on the TV, especially from the cameras secured to the hull. From where I saw it, the deck explosions (for show) could he heard some 10-15 seconds later.

About 20 minutes before some whales were spotted (I saw them breaching) about 5km from the ship, so I guess they moved out to see as the sinking took place no more than 10 munites late.

My pics are here (all 140-190kb, 1000x665).
    Pic 2. There were nearly 1000 vessels out there.
    Pic 3.
    Pic 4.
    Pic 5. The Mooloolaba Crowd. The crowd at Pt Cartwright was huge, as was the crowds at Alex Headland, Mudjimba Island, Mount Coolum and everywhere in between.
    Pic 6.
    Pic 7. The exclusion area around the ship is clearly visible as it begins to sink. The distance to the left and right of the ship is the same on the near and far sides, but the lens and the sheer distance away makes the boats look closer to the Brisbane.
    Pic 8.
    Pic 9.
    Pic 10.
    Pic 11 Note in this pic the exclusion zone around the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.