main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hmm, this is interesting

Discussion in 'Archive: Lafayette, LA' started by HockeyPrincess, May 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HockeyPrincess

HockeyPrincess Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    'Phantom Menace' Is "Worst Sequel Ever"

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace has been voted the worst movie sequel of all time in a poll by American TV network E!. The highly anticipated 1999 prequel beat off fierce competition from the likes of Batman & Robin, Speed 2: Cruise Control and Jaws: The Revenge, to be crowned king of disappointing follow-ups. The Phantom Menace - made over 15 years after George Lucas' original Star Wars trilogy - starred Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor alongside a cast of computer-generated creatures. Jeff Reid of E! says, "Liam Neeson gave the old Jedi a try, but Ewan McGregor looked like he was still in Trainspotting. And the convoluted storyline didn't help. If there's one sure thing about Hollywood and sequels, it's that no matter how bad a movie is, it can always be re-made worse. In Tinseltown, imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery - it's an established path to commercial success. But all-too-often, part deux is really part doo-doo."

I rather enjoyed episode 1, my choice for worst sequel to a movie would have been Reloaded, but thats just my opinion.

2. Lord_Sidious

Lord_Sidious Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2001
    I wonder what kind of poll this was. If the poll was properly designed, then I would give it some respect. If it was just an internet poll, then the results primarily represent those that watch E! and go to its site (and not all of us). They probably had a special show about sequels and had some of their own people who disliked TPM talk bad about it, thus planting preconceived thoughts in the minds of their veiwers.

Was "Batman and Robin" the 4th one with Clooney as Batman? That was a pretty horrible movie.

3. wicket_the_ewok

wicket_the_ewok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    well technically TPM wasn't a sequel it was a prequel. i have to agree with hockey princess, episode 1 was one of my favorites, but not her opinion about matrix reloaded. the worst sequel ever would have to be spy kids 2, man the first one sucked, why did they have to make a second one.

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I liked TPM @ Reloaded.

5. NightForce

NightForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    To Hockey Princess,
    About Tinsel Town and how it destroys sequels. There is only one really excellent sequel and that was Terminator II. It far surpassed all expectations after viewing the original Terminator. The original was exciting and new to special effects and it now has a cult following. So maybe Tinsel Town failed your expectatins on the new Star Wars. I did enjoy the new Star Wars movie. But I have always felt that, no matter what movie or TV episode (even ST:TNG) falls short when it comes to special effects. They tend to lean heavily on the special effects to get a movie or series out even if it has a sorry story line. Once Tinsel Town figures out that, yes, we want a story line thats not disjointed and special effects that supports the story. Lets hope they get it right, someday!

6. NightForce

NightForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2002
    Me too Jedi-Solo. [face_clown]

7. HockeyPrincess

HockeyPrincess Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2002
    I'm quite partial to Godfather 2 as far as sequels go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.