hmm.....

Discussion in 'San Francisco, CA' started by mathjedi76, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mathjedi76 Jedi Padawan

Okay... you don't know me, I don't know you, I've been lurking on this board for about three months now, and maybe I'm out of line for posting something like this. I'm a little ways outside the city, but I was still thinking I might want to try one of these meetings sometime. But if there's going to be so much conflict involved, now I'm not so sure I want to. Is it always like this? Can I expect this much drama at the meeting if I do make it? I have enough going on in my life right now, and I don't want to get involved in a battle like this. I just wanted to meet some people with a common interest.

I had another thing I was wondering. This is probably off topic, and maybe it should be addressed elsewhere, but I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else. Why is it that pre-Empire Jedi couldn't get married and have families, but Luke and Corran and that generation of Jedi can? When and why did the rule change? Is this dealt with in a book somewhere? I'm not all that familiar with the expanded universe. I've started reading about the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, but I haven't caught up to the most recent of those books yet, and I don't know many details of what happened in between, although I hope to go back and read more of the books someday. Just curious. :)

dgs
  2. Jedi_Tenken Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey there,

My name is Ming and as you've noted that I been the one in the thick of it all. I dunno if you know all the details so I'll PM them you but I assure you things are NOT always like this (PM me if you (or anyone else) would like more details). It a rough time now, SF Fan Force has been met with lots of setbacks and it been difficult to get things done. I hope now we can just move on and have our third meeting making this club official but more importantly put this drama behind us because it has been very ridiculous. Everyone is welcome to come and there will be no exclusion, but if anyone has problems I would like folks to be diplomatic and open-minded about it all so we can discuss things like rational people. However, I think the issues that were presented before here are now in the past and I hope that we'll all work together to have SF Fan Force be better than ever.

As for you question about Jedi marriage I can attempt to answer that. By the time of the Rebellion the Jedi Knights were systamatically eradicated by Darth Vader and other Darkside empowered agents with the exception of Yoda, Obi Wan Kenobi, and some Force-sensitive lineages that were very well hidden (Like Corran Horn). Many of the teaching materials of the Jedi and Jedi history were also lost after the period of the Clone Wars as the Empire came to power. In fact the Emperor had figured since the Jedi Knights were the backbone of the the Old Republic anything relating to the training, religion, and culture were also systematically destroyed as well since any rise of new Jedi Knights would be a threat to him (aka Luke). When Luke was training to be a Jedi, Obi Wan and Yoda had more important things to teach him and skipped things like the reason of Jedi are forbidden to get married.

The way I see it, for a Jedi being married that would mean a HUGE attachment to the one he/she is marrying and with attachment comes the possiblity their partner my get hurt or killed (like Anakin's case) and can lead to a falling from grace in the Force and Jedi Knighthood. The emotions are too much, since the attachments are too strong, and the end result maybe a fallen Jedi. That is the main reason I believe there are no Jedi marriages. After all the Jedi Code states: There is no emotion: there is peace...

HOWEVER, there are the exceptions of Jedi marrying other Jedi. A Jedi Knight by the name of Calista had a lover who was also a Jedi Knight during the time of the Old Republic and it's a long story but let's just say she meets Luke in the future (12 years after ANH) and she was trapped in a certain way on a ship that made her "immortal". But the important was that she had another Jedi as at least a life partners in the Old Republic era. Then there's also the case of Nomi Sunrider but that maybe different since her husband was a Jedi before she became one and only after he was killed she became a powerful Jedi... Anyway! the ability to use the Force is passed on through blood-line and takes training to become proficient with it's use as a Jedi. My friend and I had a theory that Jedi are kinda like hippies in the way they... do it. No attachment, and it's more like a one time, one night stand kinda deal, kinda like hippies if you follow me. lol Force-sensitive childeren are screen and found early within the Republic and after training at the Jedi Temple they may get taken on as Padawan learners by a Jedi Master. They are taken from the parents and compensated generously by the Republic and at the same time many peoples/races consider it an emmense honor for their child to become Jedi.

When Luke begins rebuilding the Jedi there are no records for him to know that there were no such things as Jedi marriage since the Emperor did quite an extensive job in eradicating Jedi records of any kind. In fact if anything Luke would consider his attachment to his wife (Mara Jade) and his friends as a strength were he draws a lot power. As the New Jedi Order is built there is a different social structure with in the order itself as Jedi do marry
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.