Hobbie Klivan fan club

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Jedi_Frodo_Baggins, Mar 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
  1. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    That much is for sure.

I'm post 300. Yeahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    There are funny Jedi... they're all pilots.
  3. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    That is true but Luke is not that funny and he was a pilot for awhile too. Oh well.
  4. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    All funny Jedi are pilots.

All Jedi pilots are not necessarily funny.

All posts must be one minute apart.
  5. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats true. Well at least I can't think of any exceptions right now.

Yes OPPM stinks.
  6. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Arrr! It's Sept. 19th, Talk Like A Pirate Day! In honour of that, Rani Veko and I have composed the following very short fanfic! Enjoy, or we'll keelhaul ye, ye scabrous scurvy dogs!

*Derisa Jolly Good Fellow*

HOBBIE: It's what? (frantically searches calendar)

WES: Arrr matey! You know, Talk Like A Pirate Day. It's one of the new holidays the New Republic Multi-Cultural Committee has come up with... I think the Nebula Front recommended this one.

HOBBIE: So...we're supposed to talk like pirates?

WES: Yeah...I mean, aye, me hearty! It's fun!

HOBBIE: Riiiiight...

WES: No, seriously Hobs, there was a bulletin about this. The New Republic is recognizing the contributions of those who operated outside of the Empire's control during the Rebellion. We wouldn't want to upset those of a buccaneer persuasion now, would we?

HOBBIE: Okay, that kinda made sense... So, do we imitate a particular pirate, or just pirates in general?

WES: Think back to all those glorious swashbuckling holofilms you watched when you were a kid. Y'know, "Skies of Doom", "Blacksabre's Treasure", and "The Revenge of Captain Blood", that sort of thing.

HOBBIE: (tentatively) Uh... avast ye scurvy dog?

WES: (encouragingly) That's great! Arrr! Avast me bucko!

HOBBIE: Um... I'll swab the deck with his entrails and put the cat o' ninetails to his yellow hide!

WES: (impressed) Good one!

HOBBIE: (with great zeal) ARRRRRR!

WES: Now remember, it's New Republic policy to greet everyone like a pirate. The privateers of the Galaxy are counting on us to do them justice!

HOBBIE: Aye, matey! Them fine sailors shall see justice done!

WES: (grinning) That's the spirit... matey.

Later, on patrol with Rogue Squadron...

WEDGE: ...Nine, scan to starboard.

CORRAN: All clear, Lead.

WEDGE: Four, anything on your sensors?

HOBBIE: Arrr, Cap'n! Clear skies off the port side! There's nary a sign o' trouble abouts!

WEDGE: (long pause) I beg your pardon?

HOBBIE: Uhh... arr, Cap'n? Tis Talk Like A Pirate Day, it is. Didn't you get the bulletin? Ye must be talkin' like a pirate, me bucko!

WEDGE: What did you call me?

HOBBIE: (uncertain) Me... bucko? Would you rather be called Matey? Ahoy, Matey!

WEDGE: That's Lead, to you, Four. There was no bulletin. It's not Talk Like a Pirate Day.

HOBBIE: Wes, are you sure you got the date right?

WEDGE: Suddenly it all comes clear. Three, I'll see you in my office when we land.

WES: (between incoherent howls of laughter) Aye-aye, Cap'n!

HOBBIE: I am going to kill you, Three.

WEDGE: Can the chatter!

WES: (under his breath) Arrr!/>
  7. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    Arrr

That was good. Too bad I missed talk like a pirate day. Oh well I can still do it today.

:D
  8. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Jedi are cool, but see, talented NON Jedi pilots are better-because they had to work that much harder.
  9. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Exactly! In the EU, Jedi get all the glory, but they really aren't all that interesting.
  10. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, that's debatable. The Jedi have a lot of potential for being interesting, and there have been some terrif short stories and comics featuring jedi, but I don't think they've really seen much in the way of a just treatment in too many of the novels. The fact of the matter is, Jedi suffer from that terror of writers, Mary Sue syndrome. They are too perfect, so their necessary flaws are underplayed, and they lose interest to the reader. A connection to the Force is not an easy thing to imagine, and is likely why Luke Skywalker keeps coming off as a bubblegum hero: sweet and tasty yes, but not very satisfying.

But Jedi have great potential as characters, and some authors write them very well, making their journey towards their ill-defined goals as interesting to readers as a non-Jedi's journey. It's a generalisation to say that pilots are interesting while Jedi are boring: there are boring pilots out there, too (other than Corran Horn, who has double marks against him for being an ex-cop and a Jedi, :) ). Dorset Konnair, for example, or that annoying General Crespin from Folor Base.

As a fanfic author, Jedi and pilots are among my favourite characters to write, and while the pilots have more fun that can easily be related to, the Jedi have a richer and fuller spiritual and intellectual life, which can be harder for people to relate to, but could be the ultimate definition of fun for the Jedi themselves. :)

It might be an interesting character study to write the boys from Rogue Squad encountering a *real* Jedi, from the Old Republic. :)

*Derisa*

11. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Oh, I like Corran-he has a sense of humor, something lacking in many Jedi, like Kyp.

12. Jedi_Wookie_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, do you guys wanna join the EU empire, and can I join?
  13. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Jedi_Wookie_Reborn Jedi Master

star 4
    ok, do I have to run a gauntlet or anything?
  15. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    Nope. If I had made you do that here I would be copying the WJFC. Even though most people here are also in the WJFC.
  16. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    No gauntlets, it doesn't suit the different brand of insanity here.
  17. _Derisa_Ollamhin_ Force Ghost

star 4
    The Gauntlet is actually the reason i didn't join the WJFC thread. that and the prolific postage rate: I can't keep up. :)

:)

*Derisa*

PS: Arrr.

18. Rani Veko Jedi Master

star 4
    *Nods in understanding.*

- Rani

P.S. Arrr...
  19. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah there is a lot more posting there.

And a lot more food fights, paint fights and other kinds of fights. If it was actually a room everything would be broken and really dirty.

At least we have a clean room. :D
  20. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    It's a very nice room, that it is. Let the record show that the first fight was my pillow fight.

I lucked out and joined the WJFC before they brought in the gauntlet.
  21. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I was lucky for that one too. No gauntlet for me.
  22. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Hey, you joined the EUDF? Cool, welcome aboard.

OPPM is less cool.

It still isn't cool.

Still not cool.
  23. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, but Hobbie is cool.

I have to get the Rogue comic books. As soon as I find a job. That's my first reward to myself.

Unless I find a job before I go to my Titanic dinner...
  24. Daughter_of_Yubyub Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, Hobbie is cool. I have a job, but I don't have a comic store, so I can't reward myself in that way.
  25. Guinastasia Force Ghost

star 6
    Do you have a Borders near you? Or at least try Amazon.com. They may even have 2nd hand books.

Moderators: Bardan_Jusik, Sinrebirth
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.