Hobbie - Where did he go?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi-Sith-Hybrid, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Jedi-Sith-Hybrid Jedi Knight

star 1
    For some reason people hate Hobbie. Quite possibly because of his quotable line: "Two fighters against a star destroyer?"

But anyway, Luke is constantly talking to Hobbie during the battle and I don't ever recall seeing him.

So where's Hobbie?
  2. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Where is Hobbie? He's a trip, that's what.

In the movie ESB, Hobbie I believe can be seen flying with Luke for a few moments before the two seperate and fight their own battles. During the battle he is eventually shot down and rescued by Alliance personel, and he is evacuated in critical condition. That is taking some of the EU into play (Hobbie being evacuated).

As for the novel ESB, Hobbie is flying with Luke and then the two of them seperate and fight their own battles. However, something happens to poor Hobbie and he gets hit and shot down. Prior to leaving the battle completly, he first rams his speeder into General Veers AT-AT walker and killed the General. In the novel of ESB he is KIA, but the movie never shows it.

The EU goes by both, and somehow Hobbie managed to survive the battle and even get picked up by medical personel in the confusion of a mass retreat.

Take it how you want, but the novel has him dying and the movie does not.
  3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Hobbie flies Rogue 4 in the battle. He does not die, nor does the ESB novel say he does. He simply ejected from his crashing speeder, and the Alliance found him and put him in a bacta tank.
  4. Jedi-Sith-Hybrid Jedi Knight

star 1
    Thank you for the responses.

I just thought it was weird that he wasn't shown in the battle like Zev and Wedge & Janson were, even though Luke spoke to him more than once.

I just remember thinking, "Who the heck is he talking to?" when I watched ESB.

Maybe they cut him out of the scene.
  5. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I know that he did not die, but it is implied that he dies in the novel, which is not the case.
  6. Spacehunter24 Jedi Master

star 4
    Prior to leaving the battle completly, he first rams his speeder into General Veers AT-AT walker and killed the General.

This is very interesting. I once read an interview with one of the Rogue Flight actors (I now guess it was Hobbie) who mentioned filming something like this. I don't remember the exact words, but it was basically along the lines of him saying that he filmed a death scene where he crashed his snowspeeder into the command module of an AT-AT and was then done with his scenes.

But on his way out, the filmmakers were told the actor scheduled to play the AT-AT commander was sick, so this actor (guy who played Hobbie) was asked to fill in for him and play the commander. I distinctively remember this, because I remember the interviewee laughing about playing both parts and having "crashed into myself."
  7. Darth_Zunich Jedi Padawan

Where is Hobbie?
    Simple. Dead. He and his gunner were shot down during the Battle of Hoth and were killed upon impact. And if he did survive, where is he in the Battle of Endor? And if they just didn't show him in Endor, still, he did not get of Hoth. Sorry, but Hobbie's new hobby is cleaning his halo.
  8. Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus

star 6
    The EU says Hobbie was Red 4 (the Rogues were flying as Red squadron in homage to the first death star run) at Endor and he was disabled after getting to close to a ion shot. That is the EU if you wanted to know.

I do want to note that just because a character is not in one movie, does not mean that they are not there.
  9. Esplin9466 Jedi Master

star 4
    Prior to leaving the battle completly, he first rams his speeder into General Veers AT-AT walker and killed the General.

Actually, Veers was not killed; he only lost his legs. He didn't die until Dark Empire.
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >> Where is Hobbie? Simple. Dead. He and his gunner were shot down during the Battle of Hoth and were killed upon impact.<<

Incorrect- you are mistaking Hobbie for Zev Senesca.

[image=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/images/cut_scenes/ep5/veers_01.jpg]

Alas, all of Hobbie's cockpit scenes were deleted.
  11. DarthLassic007 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I know that this is just EU but Hobbie fights in the Battle of Bakura.
  12. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4
    In the EU *ducks head and waits for the bottles to fly over the top.* :p

Hobbie is in a few of the X-Wing novels and is also mentioned here and there. :D

In the 9th X-Wing book (Starfighters of Adumar) Hobbie,Wedge,Tycho & Jansen, are the main characters.

Hobbie & Jansen's pranks are quite funny,normally aimed at Wedge, and they're two of the funniest characters in the EU. :cool:

Especially in Starfighters of Adumar. :D
  13. Darth_Deagol Force Ghost

star 2
    I always used to think that Luke was saying "Copy. Copy, I'm hit." I thought, "Gee, Luke sure is getting a big head telling everyone to copy his transmission." Then I read the novelization.

Two fighters against a star destroyer, indeed.
  14. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    From what I've read, there was actually a mixup like with the multiple "Wedge" actors in ANH. Apparently the guy carping about "two fighters against a star destroyer" is not the same guy who was supposed to play Hobbie. There's some promo material, like this photo
    [image=http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/hobbie/img/movie_bg.jpg]
    which purports to be the actual Hobbie, but for whatever reason the movie dropped any cockpit scenes, and so Luke looks like he's talking to some imaginary friend :) .
    As for his death, or lack thereof, the novelization makes it sound pretty final, but they might not have ever filmed it (except for rumors that a German audience saw an early version with this and other footage included, but the story sounds like the old "I swear I saw the Anchorhead Scenes" thing). At any rate, General Veers makes a return appearance in early ROTJ scripts, so Lucas clearly dumped the version where he dies. Perhaps there are logistical concerns involved; it's interesting that the walker Luke destroys has its head blow up before anything else; maybe Kamikaze Hobbie was shot in part, and the head sequence left in without any snowspeeder elements to save the time and effort of blowing up another walker.

If a snowspeeder pilot can eject, does that mean a snowspeeder gunner can, too? The snowspeeder design does not seem all that conducive to gunner escape (or safety, for that matter) ;)
  15. Jedi-Sith-Hybrid Jedi Knight

star 1
    "From what I've read, there was actually a mixup like with the multiple "Wedge" actors in ANH. Apparently the guy carping about "two fighters against a star destroyer" is not the same guy who was supposed to play Hobbie."

Interesting. Where did you read that?

When you refer to the multiple Wedges, do you mean the guy who says "That's impossible, even for a computer!" ?

I remember reading the ANH novel a long time ago and I think Wedge originally said that. But in the movie, that other actor said it, instead of Denis Lawson.

16. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    "From what I've read, there was actually a mixup like with the multiple "Wedge" actors in ANH. Apparently the guy carping about "two fighters against a star destroyer" is not the same guy who was supposed to play Hobbie."

Interesting. Where did you read that?

I am looking for that right now! I swear I've seen this, and it made sense because the guy who says the line doesn't seem to look like the actor in the promo photo with the "Gold Leader"-style helmet, but maybe it's become wishful thinking on my part. If I can't find it, I will retract.

When you refer to the multiple Wedges, do you mean the guy who says "That's impossible, even for a computer!" ?

I remember reading the ANH novel a long time ago and I think Wedge originally said that. But in the movie, that other actor said it, instead of Denis Lawson.

Yup. From the Official Site:
    " Actor Denis Lawson -- who is Ewan McGregor's real-life uncle -- played Wedge Antilles in the classic trilogy. Although the script identifies him as Wedge Antilles, and the voiceover is the same, that is not Lawson sitting beside Mark Hamill during the Yavin briefing. Lawson was unavailable that day for shooting and another actor filled in. This has led to fans identifying that particular Wedge as the "fake Wedge," although it is intended as the same character. Lawson's name is misspelled "Dennis" in the credits to A New Hope. "
  17. CieSharp Jedi Master

star 4
    "Actually, Veers was not killed; he only lost his legs. He didn't die until Dark Empire"

In which EU source does it say that Veers lost his legs? And I believe you're wrong about Dark Empire. The only "Veers" in DE was Maximillian Veers' son Zev Veers, who was part of the New Republic/Rebel Alliance. Apparently they just say Veers went very far in the Empire and we dont know what happened to him. If it says somewhere that he's dead, I'd like to know where.
  18. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Read the New Essential Guide to Characters. Maximillian Veers died when Governor Beltane's SD-10s opened fire on Veers and his troops.
  19. Jedi-Sith-Hybrid Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Lawson was unavailable that day for shooting and another actor filled in."

And that same sort of thing happened with the guy who played Hobbie? What's with these actors? If I were in a SW movie, I'd make sure I'm there everyday!

BTW, that's cool information, thanks for sharing it.
  20. Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I'm not "100%" sure that this is what happened with Hobbie, but something similar happened at least twice elsewhere in ESB. Both examples are described in old SW Insider issues, which I unfortunately don't have on hand:

1. Jeremy Bulloch, otherwise known as Boba Fett, got to play an Imperial officer for a day (the one that uses Leia as a shield when Luke appears). I don't know if that was sickness or he just was hanging around the set and they needed someone for a few scenes;

2. As Spacehunter24 alluded to, one of the Rogues got to play an AT-AT driver in a scene with General Veers because the original guy got sick. It was actually Ian Liston, who played Janson.
  21. Esplin9466 Jedi Master

star 4
    And I believe you're wrong about Dark Empire.

Yeah, you're right, I meant Dark Empire II.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.