main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hobbie's birthday (Hobbie/Xris) - a viggie by hawkbat

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by hawkbatcanuck, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawkbatcanuck

hawkbatcanuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hobbie Klivian gazed into his mirror, a sad smile on his face. Today was his birthday, and he knew he would remember this one forever. Today was his birthday, and he was alone.

As he stared at himself, he wondered if he looked more mournful than usual. Tonight, his comrades, who might have bought him a drink, and swapped stories with him, were all spending this eve before battle, with someone they loved. It was not surprising, that they?d forgotten about him.

He couldn?t blame them. If he had someone special, he?d be with them too. The projected casualty rate for the morrow?s attack on Coruscant, were very high. For some, this would be their last night together.

His mind wandered over his close friends. Han and Leia, Wedge and Iella, Corran and Mirax, Tycho and Winter ? still in love after so many years. Why, even Jaina Solo, who hadn?t even been born when women were already turning him down for dates, seemed to be spending a lot of time with Jag Fel.

And his best buddy Wes? He?d be spending this night with Inyri Forge, no doubt. Hobbie was glad that Wes had finally found someone to love, who not only loved him back, but could handle the boy inside Wes. But, when was the last time, the last year even, that he himself had had a date?

Hobbie leaned his chair back on two legs, locking his hands behind his head, as he propped his feet on a table. He knew that what bothered him, was not that he was one year older, or that his friends had left him alone tonight. It was exactly WHY he was alone. It was because he was a coward and an idiot.

Hobbie let his chin fall to his chest. He had to face it, his problem was that he?d fallen in love with Wes?s sister Xris.

He?d only begun to suspect this before she left the station, but he hadn?t said a word to her. Oh, he?d told himself that keeping quiet was the honourable thing to do. She was engaged, and he was about to take part in a battle where there was a good chance he?d get killed. It was the sensible thing to do.

He thought of the way Xris smiled at him, as if he were an island of sanity in a sea of Wraith craziness. The way she unselfconsciously cuddled up to him when they watched holovids that one night. He couldn?t remember a thing about the vid itself, just the smell of her hair, the feel of her body close to his, and her laugh, which made him forget every bad thing that had ever happened to him. He remembered wishing that moment could last forever, and realising then that he might be falling for her.

So why didn?t he say something then? Even though he knew her fiance was a jerk who didn?t deserve her, he just couldn?t get up the nerve to say anything. He figured, she had to be in love with that Cosmo guy, to be engaged so long. What did he have to offer her except worry and heartbreak?

So when Xris came to say goodbye, he?d resolved to say nothing. Then she kissed him. Not like she was kissing her brother?s friend, but like it came from her heart. Why hadn?t he reacted?

Because he was an idiot. And a coward, too afraid of how his life might change if she felt the same. So, he thought , it?s my own fault that I?m all alone tonight. It?s too late now?isn?t it?

The blood began pounding in Hobbie?s ears, and he could feel adrenaline pumping through his veins, as if he were about to engage the enemy in his X wing. For he knew, in a sudden moment of pure clarity, that he had to find Xris and tell her he loved her.

Hobbie sat up straight in his chair, and plopped his booted feet flat on the floor. As soon as the battle for Coruscant was over, he?d go to Tanaab. He?d find Xris, and wage an unrelenting campaign to win her heart. For when he set his sights on a target, his aim was true.

Hobbie Klivian looked in his mirror. No mournful expression met him ? only the determined face of a man who intended to win the heart of the woman he loved.

He smiled. Today was his birthday. He would remember this one forever. It would be the last one he?d spend alone.

Thanks to Inyri, for

2. Trickster_Jaina_Fel

Trickster_Jaina_Fel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2002
    oooh! *squeals* i love! :D very nice...especially for a first viggie (at least...i THINK it's your first viggie...feel free to rant at me if it's not :p )! awesome job :)

~TJF

P.S ~ you might want to add a disclaimer up there at the top ;)

3. pengwin_jibberish

pengwin_jibberish Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2002
    I loved it hawkbat! It went along very well with Evasion and I'm liking the Xris and Hobbie pairing almost as much as Wes and Inyri.
    I'm glad that he's decided to do something about Xris.
    Hobbie's the coolest.

4. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    nice missing scene, hawkbat :D

~aeryn

5. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    *AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*

Oh my god, Hawkbat! YES! That's so wonderful!

*still jumping around and getting really weird looks from Matt*

That is so so so so so so so so so so perfect! So much better than anything I could have written!

I'll be back in a few with all the great lines!

EDIT - Back to list great lines!

The way she unselfconsciously cuddled up to him when they watched holovids that one night. He couldn?t remember a thing about the vid itself, just the smell of her hair, the feel of her body close to his, and her laugh, which made him forget every bad thing that had ever happened to him.

Eep! Great mush! *wonders why she can't write mush like that*

What did he have to offer her except worry and heartbreak?

*sniffles*

Hobbie Klivian looked in his mirror. No mournful expression met him ? only the determined face of a man who intended to win the heart of the woman he loved.

He smiled. Today was his birthday. He would remember this one forever. It would be the last one he?d spend alone.

*starts squealing again, getting a "What are you reading this time?" from Matt*

Ahhhhhhhh! I loved it just as much the second time!

~Inyri

6. hawkbatcanuck

Oct 24, 2002
    TJF - thanks for being the first to review. This was my first story ever, and I was very nervous about posting it. To show how new at this I am...Disclaimer?

PJ - Thanks for the kind words. I agree, Hobbie is cool. There's not enough written about him, in my opinion!

Aeryn-Sun - thanks for reading and reviewing my first effort. By the way, is your name from Farscape?

Inyri - I wouldn't have ever posted this without your encouragement, and inspiration.
    This is adapted from a Wes/Shalla story I wrote, last summer, then never posted. I'm glad I waited and rewrote it for Hobbie. He doesn't get enough press, and Wes has Inyri now - he doesn't need it!

7. Jedi_jainafel

Jedi_jainafel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    I think Hobbie is going to die, just to put a depressing spin on my review.

But also go Hobbie for taking the inititive!!!

nina

8. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    hawkbat,

Disclaimer - It's a statement you put at the beginning of a fic stating that you didn't create Hobbie or Star Wars.

I actually rewrote a lot of old Luke/Mara stuff for my Jaina and Jag scenes. That's the beauty of fanfiction. You can reuse anything you've written all sorts of ways.

~Inyri

9. hawkbatcanuck

Oct 24, 2002
    JJ - I don't have any insider information on whether Hobbie lives through Coruscant, or not. But I'm hopeful. It would be awful if he got killed before he could tell Xris he loved her. And imagine Wes having to tell his sister that Hobbie had died? She'd be a miserable wreck for the rest of her life.

I'm going to hope for the best. I'd also love to see Hobbie meet up with Cosmo someday, maybe with Wes in tow. I'm sure they could make sure that Cosmo was the laughing stock of Tanaab - Cosmo's worst nightmare!

10. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Yeah, that would be Cosmo's worst nightmare...although he was just beat up by a girl. :p It can't get much worse than that.

~Inyri

11. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Awwwww, that was great, hawkbat! :) Especially that ending! It was spot on! Go Hobbie! :D (He's just so cute, like eeyore! [face_love] )

Jae Angel

12. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    This needs to go up!

~Inyri

13. JainaJag00

JainaJag00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    that was awesome hawkbat!!!! i liked how u did his emotions, and with everyone paired off he was the last one! poor hobbie- although now he can go get xris. :). nice viggie HB!

-jj00

14. Jaina_Fel_06

Jaina_Fel_06 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2002
    Hawkbat, that was AMAZING!!

I'm weird, I know, but when I read something really good and/or touching, I get this weird tingly feeling in my fingers... Guess what... My fingers were tingling as I read this!!

It was so great how you portrayed Hobbie's emotions exactly the way I'd imagine them to be. Great job, Hawkbat!! :D :D

15. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
  16. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    *runs in and grabs thread*

*pulls thread up*

*dances around still giddy from story*

Gee, wouldn't it suck if I killed Hobbie off now. :p

~Inyri

17. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    Yes it would Inyri.

Good job hawkbat. This was very sweet.

Anyone notice the lack of Hobbie fics? I have. It was nice to see this one.

18. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    There's just a lack of Rogue fics in general.

If you're looking for fics with Hobbie, Kettch_The_Jedi has one called "Old Rogues Go Rogue" about Wes and Hobbie during the NJO, and he's also in "Not The World's Greatest Babysitters" by Daugher_of_Yubyub (with Wes, Wedge, Tycho, Corran, Face, the Solo kids).

~Inyri

19. ROGUE_49

ROGUE_49 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2002
    Very cool- hawkbat.

I've really come to like Hobbie a lot in Inyri's story and you have only made him an even more admirable and appealing man by this display of emotions.

Hopefully we'll be seeing the continuation of this.....AKA Xris/Hobbie mush...over on EVASION sometime in the near future.

-Rogue

20. hawkbatcanuck

Oct 24, 2002
    Thanks for keeping this in the public eye, Inryi!

NarundiJedi - Hobbie is cute, and very underrated, in my opinion.

JainaJag00 - thanks, I hope Hobbie survives Coruscant, so he can follow through on this!

JainaFel06 - I'm thrilled that my story affected you. We see so little of Hobbie's thoughts in any of the books, I wanted him to have a scene all his own, so we could really know him.

StackpoleTH - thanks for the compliments, and I'm so glad the story was received well by a guy. I was trying to make it true to what I perceive Hobbie's thoughts would be, but I'm a girl after all. I hoped it wasn't too unmasculine.

Lucid Lady - there don't seem to be too many instances in the books, where Hobbie is portrayed as anything but a foil for Wes, Wedge, or Tycho, and I think he deserves better. Why, how often has he been mentioned in the NJO books, if ever?

Rogue49 - Inyri's portrayal of Hobbie inspired me to write this. I'm hoping, that if he survives Coruscant, he will go and find Xris.

That made me think...I don't actually think Hobbie has been mentioned in any of the NJO books. Have I missed an instance, anyone? That's criminal, if he hasn't been.

21. Saber-of-Light

Saber-of-Light Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Amazingly good viggie! Poor Hobbie! :(

22. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Hawkbat,

I've bitten the bullet and have made my own fanfiction websight. I was wondering if I could please please please archive this viggie there to go along with Evasion. I would definately give you credit for it, along with any praise you'd like me to say ;) .

~Inyri

23. hawkbatcanuck

Oct 24, 2002
    Sure, Inyri. No problem. Hey, if it wasn't for your encouragement, my little story would still be travelling around in my purse, on grubby bits of paper!

It's not like I'm likely to ever set up a website...at least not without one of my computer wiz kids helping me.

Can you imagine MY website? Star Wars stories, interspersed with quilting patterns, requests for people to trade plant cuttings and seeds with me, and probably a few descreet attempts to set my son up with a nice girl - oh yeah! That would be popular!

But I digress. I'd be honoured to have a link on your site.

24. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Thanks hawkbat! If you want to see what I'm doing right now, there's a websight link in my bio.

~Inyri

25. hawkbatcanuck

Oct 24, 2002
    OOps, I forgot to say I had already checked it out, before I replied last.

I actually had somehow missed some of those stories, so I'll be able to go back and check them out now!

Very cool. I hope that Jag_of_Jaina is proud of you!

I have an idea! Put your website address on the bottom of your wedding invitations!

Now THAT would be different!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.