main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada [Hockey] The Memorial Cup 2005

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by cristalvandepol, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cristalvandepol

cristalvandepol Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 30, 2002
    So, is anyone going to watch the game this evening? I know there's TONS of Ontario people out there so you must all be cheering for the London Knights, who happen to be hosting the tourney this year. I, on the other hand, am from Nova Scotia and live an hour and 45 minute trip from the home of one Sidney Crosby. Hence my cheering for Rimouski Oceanic!!

Hopefully the fact that Rimouski just played a game yesterday against the Ottawa 67's won't affect their preformance today.

Let's do it again Oceanic!

[image=http://www.chl.ca/HockeyImages/champs.jpg]

2. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    As I got home, I just heard that the Knights have won the championship. That's not too surprising considering they dominated the OHL regular season and playoffs. It was a little surprising that the score was 4-0 since Rimouski is such an offensive powerhouse.

Is that photo from the Rimouski championship team with Brad Richards? That was another offensively powerful team led by a maritimer.

3. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    It's from their 2000 Memorial Cup win. Anyways! I must say I'm a tad disappointed in Rimouski preformance. It was horrible really. The goalie was just... awful to the extreme. :p

Maybe next year.

4. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    But will you still be a Rimouski fan next year if they don't have Crosby? He'll likely be playing pro by this time next year. Either in the NHL if they've gotten their act together by then, or possibly Europe.

5. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    But will you still be a Rimouski fan next year if they don't have Crosby?

You make a good point. I am really a Halifax Moosehead fan, but since they lost to Rimouski in the QMJHL finals than I had no choice but to cheer for the Oceanic.

I hope, for Sidney's sake, that the NHL is back and running next year. Considering he's first draft pick he's going to be making BIG bucks with whatever club gets him... even IF there's a cap.

6. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    Kelowna eliminated Vancouver in the first round, but even though they were the WHL representative, I still couldn't root for them. Their style reminds me too much of the New Jersey Devils; defense first and maybe we'll try to score once in a while.

Crosby will likely demand big bucks, but I wonder what if there is a very restrictive rookie salary cap? The current NHL players aren't going to mind if the rookies are capped, and the owners will certainly like one, so I can defintely see them implementing a tighter cap for rookies. And if that happens, what if one of those Russian league teams offers him $3 million a year to play there? Ya I know, who wants to play in Russia? But still, for that kinda cabbage I'd suit up for Siberia for a couple of seasons.

7. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    And if that happens, what if one of those Russian league teams offers him $3 million a year to play there? Ya I know, who wants to play in Russia? But still, for that kinda cabbage I'd suit up for Siberia for a couple of seasons.

True, true. Who knows what will happen with the NHL. The whole league has gone down the drain with this lockout. I DO hope that things are straightened out by the start of the season but who freakin' knows.

Eh, if I was Sidney I wouldn't think twice about it ESPECIALLY if they are offering that kind of dough, but he might be one of those guys who's dream it is to play for a major NHL team. Maybe he's one of those hockey players who play for the love of the game and not the money!! :eek: :p

8. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    Maybe. He's a Habs fan so I'm sure he'd go to Montreal given the opportunity. I heard that some reporters asked his dad what Sidney would do if he were drafted by the Leafs; his dad apparently said he'd probably go but he wouldn't like it. :p

9. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    Wow. Sidney Crosby is quickly becoming one of my favourite hockey players. A Habs fan eh? The man has good tastes I must admit. He's part of a small minority from Nova Scotia that doesn't cheer for the Leafs, that's for sure. :p

10. dooku-ca-choo

Jun 5, 2004
    Really? Here in Vancouver there's quite a bit of support for both the Habs and Leafs. The annoyance factor makes it seem like there's more Leaf fans though. I would've thought that maritimers would lean more towards the Habs due to geography, and the fact that... well they've actually won championships in recent memory.

11. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    It's mostly split 50/50 around here when it comes to supporting the Leafs or the Habs. Truthfully, a lot of people don't support the Habs because well, they're the Quebec team. :p I have always supported the Habs myself and find myself a rarity in my whole family. I'm always out agrued when it comes to who's the better team: Montreal or Toronto.

The annoyance factor makes it seem like there's more Leaf fans though

Yes, we seem to have the same problem out here. :p

It's funny though, my brother in law has been a big Vancouver fan ever since him and my sister lived in BC while they attended SFU. He has the hardest time getting Canucks things like jerseys and hats. The only things you can get mostly are Toronto and Montreal. Rather annoying really. ;)

12. Delta_07

Delta_07 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    Maybe thats because Leafs are better!!!

13. poof-the-magic-jedi

poof-the-magic-jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2005
    No, that's not true... that's impossible! :_|

14. cristalvandepol

Jan 30, 2002
    The Leafs are totally not better! They SUCK!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.