main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hogwarts Express: The Harry Potter Discussion/ Appreciation Thread! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol at least I haven't posted my opinions O:)

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    You sure do laugh a lot. :p

So, who thinks Harry's a Horcrux and why?

3. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Grrrr...I think the last horocrux will come completely out of the blue and will be a stroke of utter genius on JKs part. It'll be something entirely obvious, yet completely amazing when it's revealed.

GAH I hate waiting and anticipating and wondering how this is going to unfold [face_worried]

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I don't think Harry will end up being a Horcrux, but I will consider the possibility. Here's an interesting article about Harry being a Horcrux that is deffinatel y worth the read. Some -- most, I should say -- probably won't like the ending of it, for those of you who haven't read it yet.

5. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I still dont buy the harry is a horcrux theory, goblet of fire is by far the best movie so far, POA had the potential to be better but the ommission of explaining the marauders and the patronus let it down for me.

Amber for what its worth I quite like emma watson ;) but not to fussed on the lads :p

6. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    JK's already shot down the theory that either Harry or Ginny could be a Horocrux. Per her own explaination of what the spell entails, it would require the subject to constantly be inhabited/possessed by Voldermort. Since that does seem to apply to the snake, we know that he's a horocrux, Harry and Ginny however, are not possessed by him...any longer.

Ginny was for only a short time because she was in close proximity to his diary. Now this does pose an interesting question...could someone else unwittingly be a horocrux because they're close to one of his items???

Let's say...Kretcher? If he squirreled away the locket from that case at Sirius's (that we assume be the the Slitherin horocrux) then it's possible he could be possessed. Course Harry would have no problem killing him :p

7. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Someone else said this a while back, so this wasn't my idea ... but I do like it. Each Horcrux has it's own defense mechanism/ability. The Diary was able to posses people, the ring destroyed the hand it was on (Dumbledore's), and so on. There can even be a Horcrux in Hogwarts and that's what currently jinxing the DADA job. But where could the Horcrux in Hogwarts be? The Room of Requirement? [face_thinking]

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Or could it be somewhere in Dumbledore's office. Why did Voldermort come into his office and ask for a job that he knew he wouldn't get unless it was to leave something there?

[face_thinking][face_thinking]

Grrr...I might need to start re-reading HBP again.

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't think he could slip something like that past Dumbledore. Dumbledore had his eye on him the whole time so I don't believe Voldemort left something behind.

10. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I'd like to see something like that, too. Perhaps she could actually write Hogwarts: A History?

Re: Harry being a Horcrux - I think it's too obvious. With all the guessing that's going around (i've heard the Snape-is-a-Horcrux theory too) Rowling's going to have to pull out something really suprising. Probably something that's only been mentioned in passing before, or not at all.

It's like in GoF. In the film, its pretty obvious that something's up with Moody, or that he'll turn out to be a bad guy. There are heaps of clues - even my mother guessed it. But in the book, for example it barely mentions him swigging from his cantina (which imo was a giveaway, esp after mentioning the Polyjuice), and if I hadn't seen the film, first, I would have been very suprised by the twist at the end revealling the real Moody. She wrote it very well.

If that makes sense? Knowing Rowling, the final horcrux will be completely out of the blue.

11. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd like to see something like that, too. Perhaps she could actually write Hogwarts: A History?

Me too. It's like when I wrote on the top of my english test by accident since I was so bored I wish I could actually read Hogwarts: A History.

If that makes sense? Knowing Rowling, the final horcrux will be completely out of the blue.

I think I'll start re-reading GOF, OOTP and HBP to try to find any mentions of possible seventh-horcruxy stuff.

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    I agree. Dumbledore was the one wizard Voldemort feared, so it makes sense that it would be next to impossible to get anything past him.

That's one thing I didn't like about the movie GOF among many other things. I totally didn't like it but I'll save that for another day.

The whole thing with Moody was a dead giveaway and his eye looked awfully silly to me instead of creepy.

It was so much more of a mystery in the book.

Edit: And Hogwarts: A History would be a great read :D I really wish she would write it too!

13. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Hello everyone. I'm going to organize my thoughts on the different Harry Potter are easier so sift through.

The Books
    I started reading them sometime between COS and POA came out. IMO, these are some great books and if you haven't read them don't be fooled into thinking that they're only for kids. I'd probably rate the books from my most to least favorite as:

GOF
    OOTP
    HBP
    COS
    POA
    SS

The Movies
    I've seen each movie shortly after their release and own them on DVD. My only big complaints are about the missing explanation for the Marauders during POA and the absoute butchering of the 3rd task for GOF. I really hope that OOTP keeps a lot of the stuff from the book.

On HBP and Book 7
    HBP was really good and did a great job of filling us in on more of Voldemort's background. I was disappointed that Rowling had Draco using Polyjuice Potion since we'd already seen a bad guy(or perhaps antagonist is a better choice of word). Dumbledore's death and subsequent funeral was nicely done. As for Snape, I believe Dumbledore was pleading for Snape to kill him(Dumbledore) so Snape could remain a spy for The Order. A lot of people think Harry won't return to Hogwarts, but I disagree since it'd go against the style of the first 6 books. Plus, it's not a good idea for Harry to be traveling the world/country while a war is going on(even if Ron, Hermione and anybody from The Order were to be with him). I think he'll go back but also look for the Horcruxes at the same time(sorry if that didn't make sense). It'll be sad and yet fulfilling to finally read Book 7. I feel as though one of The Trio isn't going to make it to the end.

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I don't see Harry leaving Hogwarts either. It just isn't right with no Hogwarts around.

Though it would be nice to leave the stationary setting and move more into an adventurous journey with Harry, Ron and Hermione. That's would be fun.

15. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    I think Harry will go back to Hogwarts for at least the first part of the year and then go Horcrux searching -- Ron and Hermione with him, of course, and probably Ginny too.

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    It makes you wonder if Neville and Luna will follow Harry too. Ever since Book 5 they seem to have this inseparable bond. Whenever Harry goes off to do something, his loyal friends are there backing him up.

17. jedichef1

jedichef1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2004
    I dont think they will follow him but i think they will change the coins slightly so if he needs to contact them he can.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Harry's always had a problem w/ accepting help from others (remember in the book Moody accusing him of being pig-headed for not asking for help from Neville for the Mermaid challenge.) We'll have to see if he's finally mature enough in book 7 to utilize all resources available to him (IE his friends - which does include Luna, Neville, and even Semus, Ernie etc who're now all staunchly on his side for support.)

I certainly hope that he does. I'd love to see a whole new generation of the Order of the Phoenix, or at least see DA grow into full-blown wizards during this book.

19. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005

Yeah, that was always his problem. Though Harry loves his friends, he doesn't seem to to trust them enough. Like when he told Ginny that he can't be with her at the end of the HBP. Whenever moody or in danger, Harry always seeks to distance himself from the others. That is nopt very good. I hope he'll realise that in Book 7.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I don't think it's a matter of trust with Harry, it's the fact that, as Hermoine says in OOTP "you've got a rescuing people thing."

Harry has the hero complex in many ways. He knows he has to take down Voldermort by himself. Dumbledore told him flat out that he's going to be the one to have to destroy Voldermort, no one else can do it for him.

Because he's got that level of responsibility on his shoulders, he shuns away the help from his friends, because he doesn't want to be responsible for any of their deaths or them getting hurt.

However, in HBP when he left behind the crew at Hogwarts to fend for themselves, it was the first time that he did trust that they would do the right thing and follow his instructions. He should learn from that experience that he IS their leader and that if he directs the DA crowd to do things that they'll do what he asks.

I think he'll just have to learn to rely on them for help though and realize that he can't do everything on his own. THAT will be the hardest thing for him for the last movie/book.

21. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    One reason I love the books/movies is because most of the time it's a group thing. It's always Harry, Ron and Hermione on another adventure. And ever since Book 5, it's been Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Ginny and Luna's adventure. I hope that continues considering Harry is nothing without the support around him.

I know he's a proud person and he has that "hero" complex, and I bet he faces Voldemort alone ... like in GoF. But I love the movies because it's always this group of kids that go through everything together.

22. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    In the end, Harry will have to face Voldermort alone. HOWEVER, I think that his fellow DA friends and the OOTP will be there to wage the final battle with the Death Eaters to give Harry the time to end Voldermort once and for all..rather like Aragon and company battling Sauron's army to give Frodo the time to destroy the ring.

23. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    I thought I wasn't going to like the DA and all the people backing Harry, except for Ron and Hermione, but I really do. I think in the end they will all be very influential in the outcome...though I do agree that Harry will have to face Voldemort alone.

24. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Yeah, the DA seemed childish and flimsy at first. But after reading through OotP and HBP, they have a real loyalty to Harry and will do anything to fight against evil. They took on Death Eaters twice! :eek:

25. Idrelle_Miocovani

Feb 5, 2005
    Which just proves how great they really are. :D

I would like to see the DA there with Harry when he finally goes for Voldemort and fight the Death Eaters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.