main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hogwarts Express: The Harry Potter Discussion/ Appreciation Thread! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I hope they all make it that far. [face_worried]

2. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I hope they all make it that far.

Ooo, I didn't even think of that.

And I call myself a fan fic writer... :rolleyes:

I hope they all survive. I wrote one HP fic a long time ago where every died except for Ginny, but I really hope it won't come to that.

In fact, I don't think it will.

3. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    If I had to guess, I would say Luna, and possibly Neville, are going to get it. Doing something heoric though, no doubt.

4. AnakinGirl05

AnakinGirl05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    Reading my mind are ya?? [face_worried] (If you are pay no attention to that dark corner...)

Anyway, I was gonna say that I wasn't fure if they would all make it. It seems like one of them would have to die. Well, not have to, how about it is likely?? I have my sneaking suspicions on who I think it would be...

5. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Someone, perhaps many, will die in #7.

It reminds me of The Matrix. In The Matrix, the first movie was about birth, the second about life, and the third about death.

I think in Harry Potter, the first movie was about birth. (The newly enlightened Harry Potter has returned to the wizarding world). The middle movies 2-6 are about life and the seventh movie is about death.

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I think in Harry Potter, the first movie was about birth. (The newly enlightened Harry Potter has returned to the wizarding world). The middle movies 2-6 are about life and the seventh movie is about death.

Interesting point of view. :)

I would like to see the Weasley family get through with all of them alive (well... maybe not Percy, but Percy's not very important anyways). I really want Lupin to get through, but then it would be kind of interesting to have all the Marauders dead by the end -- James before the series, Sirius in book 5 and Wormtail and Lupin in book 7.

:(

Will be sad though.

7. AnakinGirl05

Jun 1, 2005
    I am also hoping that the Weasleys make it through with all in tact, even Percy, sort of hoping he makes a turnaround. I would be devestated to lose any of the other Weasleys...I love them and all their red hair! Also I do not think that they would kill off Harry or Hermione...but there are some others I think may go.

I dunno, I am thinking a member of the DA...reluctant to say who. And also another major player in the series, whether it be a member of the OoP or what not...Or perhaps maybe even one of the Dursleys, like Petunia...she may play a bigger role in the next book. After all, she has it on her head to keep Harry alive by letting him remain at Privet Drive, but if she is gone...does that magic remain?

Sorry, rambling here.

8. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    I need to go back to my 6th grade teacher and thank her for reading the first two books to our class (I'm a Senior now). Prisoner of Azkaban was always my favorite until OotP came out, mostly because I was hankering for some more Voldemort action, which is why I'm also very much looking forward to the movie--it's such a hard book to translate to film. I was personally unimpressed by the first two movies, but I loved the new style PoA brought to the table. Goblet of Fire was just "whoa." I loved how they pulled off the opening; there's just something perfect about the seconds leading up to the portkey...from the cinematography to the music...I just love it. But that's such a small detail. There are several things I was dissappointed in (stuff they cut out), like the Veela, and Weasly's Wizard Wheezes, but I don't like to dwell on the flaws...ruins the whole experience in my opinion.

I've got my own opinion on Dumbledore's "death" but I don't have time to explain it right now, I gotta go to work. I just thought I'd pop in and say hi since Dorkman just showed me this forum. Looks like another source to distract me from life :D

9. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Well whenever you want to talk about your theory, we'll be waiting. I can't wait to read your ideas and discuss them.

:)

10. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Well seein' as I was home sick today, I have nothing better to do than lay here on the couch with my iMac on the coffee table and type up my theory :D I'd just like it to be known that much of this theory is credited toward IndyDreams, a member here at TFN. Most of this is his, and I really can't tell you how much of it I added or not...

It is my belief that Dumbledore is not dead. Never has Rowling written any inconsistancies during the books, and I don't believe it is in her nature to write any worthless details. I find it intresting that she mentions multiple times Fawkes' song after Dumbledore's "death." She also mentions when it stops, and Fawes leaves for good. I admit that could be a detail to just bring us readers into the moment more, but it just feels like she emphisizes it too much to be just that.

Here's what I think would be cool. Not saying it's what I believe IS going to happen, just something that would be pretty cool: Dumbledore is an animageus...of a phoenix. When one is an animageus, do they inhareit the qualities and characteristics of that animal? (Sirius attracts flees...bad example :p ) But what about say, the phoenix's ability to be reborn out of ashes?

Bright, white flames had erupted around Dumbledore's body and the table upon which it lay: Higher and higher they rose, obscuring the body. White smoke spiraled into the air and made strange shapes: Harry thought, for one heart-stopping moment, that he saw a phoenix fly joyfully into the blue, but next secod the fire had vanished. In its place was a white marble tomb, encasing Dumbledore's body and the table on which he had rested.
    Half-Blood Prince, page 645

Now on to the infamous "that wasn't the Avada Kedavra curse" argument. I fully support that one right there. Let's look at some of our (as readers) accounts of the killing curse:

"Avada Kedavra!" Moddy roared.
    There was a flash of blinding green light and a rushing sound, as though a vast, invisible something was soaring through the air--instantaneously the spider rolled over onto its back, unmarked, but unmistakably dead.

Goblet of Fire, page 216

A swishing noise and a second voice, which screeched the words to the night: "Avada Kedavra!"
    A blast of green light blazed through Harry's eyelids, and he heard something heavy fall to the ground beside him; the pain in his scar reached such a pitch that he retched, and then it diminished; terrified of what he was about to see, he opened his stinging eyes.
    Cedric was lying spread-eagled on the ground beside him. He was dead.

Goblet of Fire, page 638

And Dumbledore's moment to shine?
    Snape raised his wand and pointed it directly at Dumbledore.
    "Avada Kedavra!"
    A jet of green light shot from the end of Snape's wand and hit Dumbledore squarely in the chest. Harry's scream of horror never left him; silent and unmoving, he was forced to watch as Dumbledore was blasted into the air. For a split second, he seemed to hang suspended beneath the shining skull, and then he fell slowly backward, like a great rag doll, over the battlements and out of sight.
    Half-Blood Prince, page 596

Now the Goblet of Fire movie screwed up this whole theory by launching Cedric back much like Dumbledore when he was hit by Wormtail, but we're looking at the books as canon, and the movies as a side treat, right? ;)

Now something I forgot to mention, is as well as me and IndyDreams, I think a lot of this stuff comes from DumbledoreIsNotDead.com. They give many more quotes to not just the Dumbledore mystery, but other plot points where we may have been misled...all to prove Rowling doesn't publish bloopers. IndyDreams put forward the point that Dumbledore possibly swapped bodies with Fawkes during that little mid-air suspension that is mentioned, but we don't know if that's possible in the magical world. I personally lean toward the animageus version with Dumbledore being reborn at the funeral. Another thing that makes me think Dumbledore hasn't been killed off:

Unanswered questi

11. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    One thing though, if Dumbledore can transfigure into, or is part, Phoenix ... wouldn't he explode into flames right away and not days later? Fawkes on both accounts that he's died, Book 2 and Book 5, exploded into flames the instant he died.

12. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Good point. But that kinda brings into question: was that really the Avada Kedavra that Snape performed on him? I don't think it was...but then we're still back to your point: why didn't he burst into flames prior to the funeral? Could there be a way, in the magical world, to inject a potion into someone using your wand? Draught of Living Death could be a possiblity...and the fire which could/would be part of the ceromony was what really killed Dumbledore, thus causing him to be reborn. I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas here, but speculation and anticipation is half the fun when it comes to a new book or new movie :D

13. bgii_2000

bgii_2000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2005
    What I think is interesting is that the entire book stressed the use of "Non-Verbal" spells. Snape is the main proponent of this technique. Yet when Snape "kills" Dumbledore, he speaks the curse. He also kindly keeps Harry from doing anything he might regret after the deed.

One thing's for sure though. Harry's gonna have to find someone to teach him some skills, or he's gonna get pwn'd.

14. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I sure do want to believe that Dumbledore is alive, I really really do. But you have to take into consideration the magnitude of his sacrifice. For those who believe he is dead, his sacrifice to further advance Snape into the trusting arms of the Death Eaters is extremely heartbreaking & noble. To know that Dumbledore would give up his life to help Harry in the overall scheme of things is completely honorable and within the Dumbledore character.

Now, if he's not dead it makes that sacrifrice a little weak. So in conclusion ... I have no idea if Dumbledore is dead or not. :p

15. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Snape is good, Harry is going to die......

16. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I think a lot of people are going to turn out to be good, Draco and Snape to name a few. I also think many people will die in 7 as well.

Dark, dark times.

17. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Yeah, I know the two scenes I'm most psyced to see play out on screen are the Dumbledore-Voldemort duel in OotP, and then Dumbledore's "death" in HBP. I hope Tom Felton can pull of Malfoy's big moment...I've never really been too happy with his performance[face_praying]

18. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Movie version Malfoy is more of a comic relief sort of guy because he doesn't really portray the evilness that is the book version Malfoy. That's where I think the Malfoy characters lacks.

I do hope Tom Felton will actually be Malfoy for HBP. He's the one actor that doesn't appear likely to complete the series.

19. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

Sep 20, 2003
    The scene I am most looking forward to is the twins leaving Hogwarts in the next movie, it is my fave scene in all the books

20. DMPjedi

Mar 26, 2003
    Yeah, I guess that could give OotP a plot line - Weasly's Wizard Wheezes has to be explained, since they ignored it in GoF. Back to the Malfoys, I agree with what was said above. But I do think they cast Lucius perfectly. In the graveyard scene, there was something that just felt right between Voldemort and Lucius for me; almost like they just stepped right out of the book and onto the screen :D

21. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

Sep 20, 2003
    Dude Jason Isaics is just the ultimate badass heavy. I have loved him in every badgiuy role (and most good guy roles, escept when he was in drag in sweet november) he has played

22. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    I just saw part of Sweet November the other day. Definitely not Lucious Malfoy in that movie.

23. AnakinGirl05

Jun 1, 2005

I freaking love you right now!! I had never thought of that before. Was that the Avada Kedavra curse?? Snape is the master at silent incantations...Yes, we are left with the rest of the questions and all...but still, this is giving me a new prospective that I had not thought of before. [:D] Thanks for that!

24. DARTH_GOLLUMSMEAGOL

Sep 20, 2003
    Yeah no kidding, just.......bad

25. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Also, think about what Bellatrix said in the Ministry back in OotP. Remember when Harry tried to use the Cruciatus Curse, but it only knocked her over? She said that you absolutely have to mean it when you say it, you have to really want to enjoy it when you say it. This probably goes for Avara Kedarvra too. So if Snape is good, then Dumbledore might not be dead since Snape wouldn't have truly wanted/enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.