main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hogwarts Express: The Harry Potter Discussion/ Appreciation Thread! (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    No, he hasn't. There was a recent interview with him on Mugglenet.com and his hair length is shorter then when he was in POA. Unless they are wearing extensions, Harry and Ron's hair will both be significantly shorter.

2. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    that's good. when I read the books I could never picture them with long hair

3. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    Ironically, I did picture Harry with short hair when I was reading OotP.

4. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    Ron and Harry do need a haircut-and they need to keep a haircut-
    but with Fred and George-The could let theirs be just a bit longer-but not much-and leave it that way-but with Harry and Ron it looks Horrible-Fred and George-it's agreeable!
    =P~

5. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Longer hair ages them quite nicely IMO. When Ron gives that look, when Harry's name comes out of the GOF, he looks way older than he did in POA. POA he still looks like a kid. GOF he looks more the brooding teenager.

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    For me it was too big a jump. Harry looked okay (age wise - the hair looked stupid) but Ron looked about three years older than in POA, although the style worked better on him that Harry.

But I don't think style is a concern - they are teenagers, and meant to look vaguely stupid with an 'in' style at some stage of their lives.

7. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    If anything, they need to look like they aged less between movies. Between POA and GOF, there is only a few months difference. But judging on everyone's appearance, it looks to be much longer.

8. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    This whole thing about filming is that it has to correspond with when HBP and Book 7 came out. If they did.

Sorcerers Stone 11/01
    Chamber of Secrets 11/02
    Prisoner of Azkaban 11/03
    Goblet of Fire 11/04
    Order of the Phoenix 11/05
    Half-Blood Prince 11/06
    Book 7 11/07

It wouldn't work. They couldn't start filming HBP until September 05, depending on how long a script could be written. Book 7 coming out 11/07 would've been impossible since the book doesn't even come out until 7/07.

Though 18 months does seem like a lot longer between movies, it was the best decision despite the lack of continuity in age growth.

9. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree that Ron looked relatively older than the other two leads in GOF. Right from the off I can remember thinking he looked a little more developed. But then, some people do develop in definite spurts.

10. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Apart from the hair, Ron seemed to have filled out a lot more. He looks quite strong, actually. Not someone I'd want to get into a fight with, but then again I'm just a scrawny nerd on a messageboard. :p

11. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    The aging of the teen actors doesnt bother me really.
    Id rather have a 21 year old Radcliffe playing a 17 year old Harry, then some other actor.
    The characters grow and age from movie to movie, so in a sense i like that they age.

Its not like they are still trying to play 11 year olds.
    So although they clearly are begining to look a bit older then they should be, it doesnt bother me in the least bit.
    So long as the actors remain the same, I will just except the actors aging as the characters aging, enjoying the consistency
    of the casting.

Plus, people dont always look their age. For instance, when i was 17, there were some places i didnt get carded (asked for ID)
    I just looked naturally older.

12. ObiWan506

Aug 5, 2003
    That's exactly how I feel. I'd rather have the same actor with a little bit of an age discrepancy then a new actor that's the right age.

13. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    You have to maintain the same actors throughout. That's why I was getting worried about the whole Gary Oldman situation. Though we saw little of him in GOF, he is still Sirius Black.

I think justifies them in real life being older is that in the films their characters are really wise beyond their years. Sure there is a difference between a 21 year old and a 17 year old, but for continuity purposes I can overlook it.

As I said before, the only reason they should change actors is if one passes away like Richard Harris.

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I'm not quite sure why people would be worried about the age difference - American TV does that all of the time. Practically every "teen" tv drama or comedy has 20+ year olds playing teenagers.

Even if it does still take 4-6 years to complete the last 3 films, Daniel and company won't be THAT old.

15. Master_Jedi80

Master_Jedi80 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 27, 2005
    funny you mention that. I was going to write the same thing in my other post but forgot.
    I grew up watching Beverly Hills 90210, with Andrea Zuckerman as 17 going on 30 :p

16. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Another consideration is that the GOF final years' who legitimately participated in the cup competition looked around 20 or so. I'm assuming that the trio will look a similar age by Film Seven, so in that sense everything is consistent in the film world of Harry Potter.

17. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Cedic was 19
    Fleur was 22
    Viktor was 19-20

So I guess it works. Once you get the suspense of disbelief out of the way, it should be fine. If it's a problem there always makeup and wardrobe to do the trick.

18. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Bizarre how Fleur looked the youngest out of all of them, but was in fact the oldest.

19. Teegirloo

Teegirloo Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 26, 2005
    Age doesnt really concern me i would just want the original actors to continue with all the films.

20. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Anyone know if Emma Thompson's been signed on for OOTP? I'm in the middle of re-reading it and really, REALLY would love to see her having a complete nervous breakdown over Umbridge's "observing" of her courses and then her drunken breakdown when she's fired :p

21. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    I really hope so. That was one of the best moments of OOTP.

22. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    Emma Thompson is not on the list on IMDB. I'd have to say if anything that she is in since does play a role in the shift of power at Hogwarts. It'd be great to see Trelawney in OOTP since she is the cause for the prophetic events in this movie to some degree.

23. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    Trelawney was a complete fraud!

LUPIN IS GONNA RETURN! YUSH!

Lupin rox!

24. Moleman1138

Aug 18, 2004
    But she was right on a few occasions. So at least you have to give her that. She was right in POA and OOTP.

25. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001

Twice. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.