main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Hold me like you did on Naboo..." -- when?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vortigern99, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    When exactly would Anakin, the boy security officer whose advances she spurned time and again, have had an opportunity to lovingly embrace Padme, when (paraphrasing her words in ROTS) "there was no war, no clones"? By the time A & P tied the proverbial knot, the War had most decidedly begun (with the Battle of Geonosis). Prior to that, they had a strictly business relationship, excepting only that one kiss on the lake -- which would not constitute "holding" of any kind!

Just wondering if there's something I'm missing here...?

2. Jedi-knight-25

Jedi-knight-25 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 2007
    I have been wondering about that too.

3. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Perhaps the line isn't supposed to be taken so literally. She could very well mean during the hours leading up to or after her wedding with Anakin.

4. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Yeah, I figured that it was post wedding on Naboo. But it's not something I would really dwell on anyway.

5. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    No you guys, we should see EVERY SINGLE THING on screen in the film. If it's not in the film on screen for all to see, it never happened and cannot be talked about anytime in the films.

6. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    So when Obi-Wan goes to take a piss right before his fight with Jango Fett that isnt canon and never happened right?

7. there_is_a_dog

there_is_a_dog Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2007
    I believe it happened during the palace when it was said by padme. Don't you remember what obi wan said to owen? It happened then.

8. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Well I guess it includes the kiss on the balcony and also the meadow picnic. They are near water, and they do have a roll in the hay [litterally] and held eachother while music played.

I think its just meant their time together in AOTC. But if you look into EU and comics, specifically a Republic comic, Anakin does visit Naboo to see his wife here and there. How do you think she got pregnant in the first place.

9. there_is_a_dog

there_is_a_dog Jedi Youngling

Aug 3, 2007
    no, it was definatley after they landed at tatooene. I read that in later years they decided to cut out that scene. But it would have been good wouldnt it?

10. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I totally agree, its a HUGE plot hole. Lucas has no other choice other than to redo the whole film.

11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    He probably went to see her on Naboo during the Clone Wars. He got her pregnant at some point, not too long before ROTS.

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It's just a line to discuss Padme's feelings/troubles at that time, there's no huge back story to it. If you wanted to look in the context of the films, although the war had begun at the time of their marriage, it had not escalated to the point it had in ROTS (so there's the context of her line).

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm gonna say either on their honeymoon or the last time they saw each other, before he went off to fight in the Outer Rim. Take your pick.

14. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    he's got a hot wife, no wonder Liea's so hot ;)

but more on a more serious: he prolly "held her" somewhere in between AOTC and ROTS, ya know like eu type stuff

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Wookieepedia mentions Clone Wars episode 22 as the possible time of the twin's conception.

Anakin's starfighter lands on Naboo, and he and Padmé spend one last night together to make love before he is assigned to Jedi missions in the Outer Rim. This is presumably the encounter where Luke and Leia were conceived.

16. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    That would be great.
    Maybe then we'll finally get to see the rest of the all-important footage of them rolling in the grass together.

17. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The story keeps on rolling between scenes and between movies. I don't think that *immediately* after the wedding Anakin just said "well, see you later."

18. JediRunner

JediRunner Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2005
    That line simply meant when they had some intimate times on Naboo. Its like a nice quiet peaceful place where Padme can go to get away from all the crazy war n fighting going on in the galaxy.
    They're in love, so when Anakin hangs out with her on Naboo I dunno he might hold her.

If its not on screen please talk about it, even make up your own ideas and babble on and on and on :) [face_laugh]

19. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    I see no reason, Strilo and others, for a sarcastic response to my innocent query.

For the record, I never said that all events must be seen on-screen to be credible or accepted as canonical. I enjoy imagining events that have only been referred to in the dialogue or in the opening scroll. Neither did I suggest that this was a huge plot-hole; nor did I make a big deal out of it.

My question is simply one of chronology. Padme says "Hold me like you did on Naboo, when there was no war...." Yet clearly the two did not marry until after the Battle of Geonosis which began the Clone Wars. Nor did they express mutual affection until just prior to the Battle, well after the time they spent together on Naboo.

There seems to have been no chance for Anakin to hold Padme in the romantic way that she describes, since she spurned his advances until Geonosis. This appears to be a discrepancy in the timeline, and I'm interested in resolving it.

The best answer so far (thank you, Dark_Jedi_Kenobi) seems to be that the conflict had not yet escalated to the point of all-out war... except that the Republic Ships are leaving Coruscant around the same time as the wedding. Surely Padme would have known the wars were starting?

20. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Probably some sort of Force hold technique. I do remember her referring to it very specifically.

21. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
    I thought Padme was talking as a figure of speech. Anakin DID hold her "briefly" at the picnic just after they rolled on the grass. To her, she already had fallen for him and this WAS before the war and plotting. She remembers is much more fondly than Anakin, I would guess. So, indeed something she still cherished.

When Padme said these words, the above is what I was envisioning anyway. I do like this scene in ROTS.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, the war hadn't fully started when Anakin and Padme got married. There was the one battle, but the campaigns hadn't started yet. So there was time for Anakin to hold Padme, before they went out to face the war.

23. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes exactly. We have no idea what happened between the rolling in the meadow scene and the fireplace scene. He may well have held her as they sat and watched the lake on Naboo.

24. DARTHCLANDESTINE

DARTHCLANDESTINE Jedi Youngling star 3

May 17, 2005
  25. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Oh, I disagree. I think they did express mutual affection. Padme's words said one thing, but her actions (and body language and choice of clothing :p ) said another. How do you know Anakin didn't hold her at any point? The picnic scene is included to show that they definitely did share affection while they were on Naboo despite what Padme claimed to want, and I think it's intended to imply there were other moments as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.