main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holding On (A Dark JA Short Story)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Eryce, Apr 20, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000

I can hear the groans now. ANother story from HER??? Don't kill me, this one will be finished in a day or two. I had to write this down to get rid of the plot bunnies nibbling at my toes. It's kinda dark and the style of writing is a little weird. Sorry if it confusing.

8 hours Left: Medical Bays Are the Same

It was generally known that every medical bay in the known universe looked, smelled and sounded the same. The same stark sterile white washed walls, the same odor of drugs, the same cadence of beeps coming from machines. Healers talked in hush tones among the ill, the injured, the dying. Anxious mothers, fathers, siblings, friends looking lost in the hallways, waiting for news of their loved ones. Tears of grief, smiles of relief. The blood, the IV lines. It was the same everywhere. Nothing changes. Not in the medical bay.

This medical bay in the Jedi Temple was no different.

"Qui-Gon."

"An-Paj." A tired nod, acknowledging the Healer's presence.

"You look tired, Qui-Gon." Gentle admonishment. "You should get some rest."

"Just tell me, An-Paj." The Master looked up at the Healer for a moment, then returned his gaze to the prone unresponsive figure on the bed. "It's bad, isn't it?"

"Yes." Sky blue eyes closed in sudden grief. Silence ensued, broken only by mechanical beeps.

"How bad?"

"Qui-Gon.."

"Just tell me!" A desperate shout. A clenched fist against the white sheets. A calming breath. "Please? I need to know." A whisper this time. Softer, but the agony did not lessen. The healer sigh and a comforting hand was placed on the Master's shoulder.

"Whomever that did this choose the correct poison. By the time they were rescued out of the pool, it has already seeped into the bloodstream. Luckily, we managed to counter some of the effects with some other drugs but they're no help to the damage to the lungs. The antidote has been found and we have the chemical compounds to make the crystals needed. But it'll take time."

"How long?"

"Eight hours."

"Eight hours????"

"It's an extremely delicate process. The crystals need to be grown properly or it simply won't work."

Beep. Beep. Both adults in the small room watched as the respirator whooshed, forcing much needed oxygen into the boy's lungs.

"There's something you're hiding. Tell me." A command in a voice that shook slightly.

"Qui-Gon, they're both stable but even now, their lungs are failing. It's won't be long before they start to deteriorate fast. I'm? I'm not sure if they're going to last eight hours."

Beep. Beep. Beep. Every beep was a heartbeat. A comforting sound.

One of the Master's hand engulfed the boy's hand into the Master's larger one as the other gently soothed the auburn hair. Held the cold, limp hand against his cheek as a single tear trickled down.

" He'll make it. He has to. He knows I can't lose him. He has to make it."

Yet another tear. And another. All from a pair of pain filled eyes.

"I need him to make it."

More in an hour or so. I'll write faster if I get more comments. <HINT>

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Thank you for choosing An-Paj as your Healer. Having created him, I take a certan pride in his accomplishments.

You've described the atmosphere well, also Qui-Gon's mental and physical state. I have only one question. Who are "they"? I know that one must be Obi-Wan, but who is the other one? Also, Qui-Gon and An-Paj seem to react only to one person, Obi-Wan. Where is the other one? Is he in the same room, or in a different one?

Speaking of hints, I'm still looking forward to the continuations of your two previous stories...soon...

3. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Great beginning!! I can't resist a story with Obi-Wan in danger and Qui-Gon getting all mushy about him

I assume we will get the back story with more how and why our darling Obi is once again in mortal danger?!?! I also wonder who the other victim is, please say it isn't Bant, but if it is you CAN NOT kill her off mad.gif mad.gif

Love seeing An-Paj back, he is the BEST fan created character in fandom, we all owe Jane Jinn a BIG THANK YOU, JOB WELL DONE!!! for him. He certainly can calm Qui-Gon down better than anyone.

4. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000

Jane Jinn , Oops.. forgot to ask your permission to borrow An-Paj. Naugthy Eryce. Granted, it's a little too late but pleaseee.. can I borrow him for a while? I'll return him safe and sound, I promise!
    And the answers to your questions will come soon

Kelly , this isn't your typical Obi-torture fic. That's all I'm gonna divulge right now. As for Bant, no, I'm not gonna kill her. Don't worry. No promises about Obi though.

On with the story!

7 Hours Left : The In Between Place

According to the legends of the old, there existed a realm that is in between life and death. The old ones simply called it ?S?hgka?, The In Between Place. The souls that wandered there were living in the sense that they still breathed but nothing more. It was a gray place, offering neither the light of life nor the oblivion of death. It was now where a young boy and his best friend could be found.

When he awoken, he was sitting on a rock. An island in a deep sea of swirling gray mist. Where? What? How? A million questions with no answers in sight. The last thing he remembered was swimming in the pool with Bant. Bant. Where was Bant?

/Bant?/

/Obi?/

The mist parted like a curtain, enough for him to catch a glimpse of a slight figure on yet another rock, then drawing back to obscure his view again. Too far to touch, yet near enough to talk without shouting.

/I saw you./

/Yes. So did I./

/Where are we?/

One of the many unanswered questions plaguing his mind. Gray tendrils swirled around him, caressing his face. Tried reaching for the Force. Failed. The presence of the Force was there but maddeningly out of reach. He should be frightened. Scared of the uncertainty that loomed large around him. Fearful of the unknown. There were no other living presence that he can detect. No one to provide any answers. No Qui-Gon. That fact alone should have shaken him to the core. Indeed, there was this one moment when he felt a spike of fear. But oddly?.as soon as the fear began to tighten its hold on him, the mist wrapped its grayness around him, soothing his mind. His fear instantly forgotten. So soothing. So calm.. almost beckoning?.
    *FOCUS* With an effort, he pulled his mind back, forcing himself to think. *THINK OBI-WAN* Find a way to get out. Go home.

/Bant?/

/Hmmm?/

She sounded so far away?.

/BANT!/

/Obi?/

A little stronger this time. Good. Focus. Just get her to focus.

/Bant, what did you last remember?/

/Umm. We were swimming in the pool and then, can?t breathe. That?s all I remember./

/Yes. The same here./

Pause.

/Where are we, Obi?/

Good question.

/I don?t know./ Forced cheeriness. / At least we?re together./

/Yes./

It wasn?t much. But being together was a comfort.

Cold comfort indeed.

It's 3.32am here. I need some sleep. More tomorrow

[This message has been edited by Eryce (edited 04-20-2000).]

5. Sat'zi

Sat'zi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2000
    Woo hoo! Return of An-Paj! I love this character so double kudos to Jane Jinn for ever inventing him.
    Post again soon, Eryce .
    i'm holding you to the promise that this story is pretty much done and so posting every other minute really shouldn't be a problem, right?

6. Darth Tristeza

Darth Tristeza Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2000
    I love this! Post quick, Post quick!!

Wow! First page, and I already begin the shameless begging!

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease!!!

7. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Good heavens, you don't need my permission to borrow An-Paj! I simply meant I'm happy to see that he's become so popular and I'm always delighted when somebody includes him in a story.

So the other victim is Bant, huh? This in-between place is interesting, very foggy...so foggy...focus, Jane! Focus!

More story!

8. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    I love it...more PLEASE !!

9. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Very cool start!

I can understand the desire to use An-Paj. I think we're all beginning to see him as an integral part of the SW universe.

I for one vote to have him included in Episode II.

10. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    I 2nd that vote for An-Paj in Eps II.

Who should play him???

11. The Jedi Princess

The Jedi Princess Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 1999
    I give it a third vote. An-Paj is such a fun character to write with.
    Who can play him? Hmmm, that's a toughy.

12. Katri Tai

Katri Tai Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2000
  13. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    Ok. Here's the next part. Hope it's not too mushy or disappointing or anything.

PS. For An-Paj, is there anything special about him? I mean how is his physical appearance?

On with the story!

6 Hours Left : The Confessions of a Jedi Master

Blood.

Its very simplicity is misleading. Its importance cannot be denied. It has started wars, caused death and given life. It flows through our veins, a stark reminder about the fragility of our existence.

The color of our hair, the hue of our eyes, our parentage, all catalogued in an orderly manner in the DNA that makes up who we all are.

Your blood flows in my veins. And thus, I love you. I have to love you.

It binds families together, children inheriting bits and pieces of themselves from parents. Many have died avenging the family blood, many gave their lives for its honor. Blood relations are family, so they say. We must protect our own. Love our own.

And yet for some, when it comes to being family, blood matters not.

Qui-Gon POV

They call me the renegade. The one who follows his own path. True enough. I?ve never been one to follow the rules, rigidity was never my style. It matters not. I answer only to the will of the Force, not to those who think they know all, see all. It has not been easy, taking this life as a maverick. Especially for my Padawans. Many do not agree with my decisions. Many ridicule and talk. If nothing else, it has taught my apprentices control and patience. Me, I can only let the results show for themselves.

My Padawans. S?ya, my first Padawan was a joy to teach. Brilliant and loving, she was almost the perfect student and with her, I found my niche as a teacher, a nurturer, a parent and a friend. The day she was knighted was a mixture of emotions for me. Pride warred with a certain sadness. I was so proud that I had a hand in this, this molding of a young mind into this great Knight and sad to know that she would no longer be big part of my life. I experienced what every parent goes through when their children comes of age and learnt to let go. She had her own wings now, and I had to let her go so that she could soar. And soar she did.

And then came Xanatos. I don?t like to think back to that dark depressing period in my life. I don?t know if anyone knows how his betrayal wounded me. I loved that boy, I came to think of him as my son, my friend. One that I would entrust my life to safeguard but instead turned around to stab me in the back. I think what made it all worse was I never saw it coming. My pride prevented me from seeing all that I should. I have failed. I failed as a Master, losing my apprentice to the Dark. I struggled with guilt, wondering if there was anything I could have done to prevent this? Did I indulge him too much? Give him enough guidance? But in the end, I knew that the choice was in his hands, not mine. And then I got angry. How could he betray me like that? I loved him, dammit! I gave him so much of myself, as I did S?ya, and this was what I received in return? There would never be another Padawan, I swore. The council disagreed of course, but I was beyond caring. Nothing was worth the pain I had just went through.

I must confess I wallowed in misery after that. I avoided my friends, the temple and went about my own way. Completing mission after mission in order to forget. All the doors to my heart were locked and the key thrown away, not allowing anyone to get close and pushing away those who tried. My Master insisted I visited the temple every year to choose a Padawan and would not take no as an answer. It was easier to just oblige than to argue but every year, I went away without choosing anyone. How could I? I had nothing left to give, only an empty hollow place where my heart used to be. I could have happily gone on with life like this but the Force and a certain green troll had other plans. That was when Obi-Wan came into my life. I fought hard and long against the obvious, make no mistake about that. I fought but every barrier I threw up was battered dow

14. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    Oh no! Come on, they have to wake up? What is the Turbo lift inscident? If it's from JA#7 then I am dying to get the book! Can't wait until it is released down under.

I also add my vote for An-Paj being in episode II.

15. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    An-Paj has bluish skin, white hair, two antennae on the top of his head, but is basically humanoid otherwise. In case you need to know, he also has six wives (they're all sisters). He is a good healer, but tends to do first and explain later. Um, I think I also mentioned that he has some telepathic abilities outside the Force. I've never set an age for him, but I imagine him around 40. He's cheerful, has a good sense of humour, but also compassionate when needs be.

Any questions? Most of what I set up about An-Paj can be found in "I'm starting a JA run-on story--please add on" by Ty-Gon, which was on page 1 yesterday, and probably on page 2 now. An-Paj comes in about page 5, I think. If you're interested. Otherwise, just ask.

16. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    Almost halfway done. Phew.

5 Hours Left : So Easy to Forget

S'hgka. A place to be when one exists in the limbo between life and death. It is neither light nor dark, simple a gray, lonely place. There is an illusion of peace, of warmth, of safety. Many who slipped beyond the fine line of consciousness come here. The strong willed sometimes manage to escape this desolate place, waking up from deep sleep back into the living world. Others leave only by dying. But some.. some are trapped here, endlessly drifting in the void. You see, the S'hgka makes you forget. Memories evaporate like water under the Tatooine sun, the very memories that would help one claw their way back to life. The longer you are here, the more you forget. It takes away all that you are, leaving one feeling nothing, knowing less. Your will. Your identity. Everything will be taken away until one succumbs.

And on the other side, where the living tread, there will be another who will never awaken from their eternal slumber. Another whose body still lives? but without a soul.

Peace. Obi-Wan felt only peace. He felt like he was wrapped up in his favorite blanket, warm and safe. All he wanted to do was to curl up and sleep, to let himself drift away. It was getting harder and harder to remember anything, only that resisting took too much energy. And the mist was so inviting???

Qui-Gon.

The name came unbidden into his mind. Qui-Gon. Who..? Who was this Qui-Gon? The name was tantalizingly familiar but try as he did, he couldn't place it. He knew that name. But who?.? Something else came to him. A voice. A much beloved voice.

I would be honored to accept you as my Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

/Qui-Gon is my Master./

Yes. Remember Qui-Gon. Obi-Wan clung to the images of the kindly care-worn face, that familiar smile, those loving midnight eyes, even as they began to disintegrate in his mind, blown away like ashes in the wind. It was a struggle to even think, so much easier to give in to the pull of sleep.

[Rest. Let go and rest.]

/Yes. Resting for a moment wouldn't hurt, would it? Just a second. Just to rest my eyes. Just to rest?../

Qui-Gon.

/Who was he again? I need to remember? must not forget../

[Sleep]

/ Must not? but tired. So tired?./

[Sleep]

/Can't for-/

[Sleep]

Yes.

Hello? Is anyone still there?

17. Kelly Kenobi

Mar 23, 2000
    Hi!! Great Posts

I love Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan when they get mushy about each other!!!

18. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    AWWWWW! Sniffle. This is sweet!

19. Captain Proton

Captain Proton Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2000
    Omigoodness! The part where Qui-Gon was talking about Obi-Wan was so sweet. More, more!

20. HealerLeona

HealerLeona Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2000
    Eryce-- Qui-Gon's POV was an excellent synopsis of his life, incredibly moving. Like others I really enjoy the boys getting mushy over each other.

21. dbkate

dbkate Jedi Youngling

Mar 31, 2000
    Wow! WANT MORE!

Love Qui's inner monologue. Awww, so sweet. MORE!

Kate :)

22. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Is there any more??? Sorry, I just found this thread and I'm really enjoying it. Please write more soon.

Kithera

23. Sat'zi

Sat'zi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 6, 2000
    Hey Eryce , come back!
    keep writing on this!
    need more, please!!

24. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    I'm here ! I'm here ! (Is that a good thing? ) I'll be posting tonight... RL handed me a certain programming bug to exterminate and that took up my whole weekend. So fear not! More coming tonight!

25. Jessica Kenobi

Jessica Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    This is a really great story! Come on Obi-Wan, remember who you are! I'm going to come in there and shake you myself soon!
    Post soon or this insomniac is gonna die!
    Jessica Kenobi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.