main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Holiday plans, visiting....Skellig

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by arjank, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    Allthough I haven't got any plans for this summer holiday, who of you do have plans and e.g. want to visit one of the filming locations :cool:
    Since I live in Europe, Ireland isn't very far away.....

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Skellig is beautiful and well worth the visit. I have a holiday place in the Isle of Skye, so was a bit peeved that they didn't do any shooting there (as was initially rumoured).

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. Teaser Day

Teaser Day Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    If you find a blue lightsaber, it's mine.

PS: I live in Sevilla, Spain. I walk through here almost everyday:

[​IMG]

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I love Sevilla... so beautiful. One of the hotest places I've been though. It was 44 degrees every single day... :)

Teaser Day likes this.
  5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    If you can somehow get to Skellig Michael, I'd recommend it. It is one of the loveliest bits of Eire. If you cannot, then go to the Long Room at Trinity College Library in Dublin and ask why Kamino is not in their records. It's a fine consolation prize.

Dranem, danmcken, Echo Base and 6 others like this.
  6. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Welcome aboard!

7. arjank

Feb 17, 2015

Thnx! :)

8. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Nice to see a fellow spaniard on the boards!!

Calorcito en Sevilla!

Teaser Day likes this.
  9. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    My wife and I are thinking of visiting London either this summer or next spring. I think we want to jaunt over to Ireland while over that way. Any recommendations?

10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    The only set area I've been to is Yuma, Arizona, where ROTJ's Sail Barge scenes were filmed. It truly is like walking on Tatooine.

11. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Are you paying for my vacation? arjank
    Otherwise I'm not goin' nowhere

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The user is paying for all of us.

13. arjank

Feb 17, 2015
    Well, I might not go on holiday this year so......nope :rolleyes:

14. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I lived in Philly my whole life and we had a football stadium there we called the Vet. It's sort of like the Geonosis Arena battle and we threw batteries at NY Giants fans and players and Dallas Cowboys players and fans. We beat eachother up and others. It was tore down a few years ago to out up the Linc . You can buy cheesesteaks in Philly anytime you want or roast pork sandwiches .

What?

Dranem likes this.
  15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You forgot to add in random exclamation marks like this:

"I lived in Philly my whole life and we had a football stadium there we called the Vet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's sort of like the Geonosis Arena battle and we threw batteries at NY Giants fans and players and Dallas Cowboys players and fans!!!!!!!!!! We beat eachother up and others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was tore down a few years ago to out up the Linc!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can buy cheesesteaks in Philly anytime you want or roast pork sandwiches!!!!!!!!!!"

16. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I went to Hoth last month, it's now sat underneath a tesco carpark.

Hoggsquattle and danmcken like this.
  17. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Depends how much time you have. My folks are Irish and I can confidently predict you'll get a hospitable welcome wherever you go.:)

What sort of things did you want to see?

18. danmcken

danmcken Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 7, 2003
    Come on be honest,Ireland has some lovely places and some friendly people but there are a lot of extremely volatile areas still plagued by sectarian violence.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I hear there's a bit of graffiti on one of the walls on Skellig, it says.....

Mark Hamill was here but only for a minute

20. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Go to Skellig. Wonderful place. I used to live closer to it than I do now, and I very much miss the ability to hop over on a weekend!

21. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    yeah...let's not get off-topic about anyone's homeland, mmmmkay?

22. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014

Not sure at this point. We've just tentatively set a date -- it will be our first time to Europe. I'm hopeful we can plan a two week trip, and that way we could use London as our "jumping off point" to explore Ireland and maybe take the Chunnel to France for a day or two, if that is feasible?

23. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Well of course two weeks doesn't give you a huge amount of time. I lived in London for twenty years and was still discovering things there even after all that time. It's changed so much since I left...

You can fly to Ireland of course: the flight to Dublin from London is about an hour; it's a bit longer to Shannon which would give you easy access to the west coast, though if Skellig is a priority I suppose you could fly to Cork. There'd be a lot more flights to Shannon though.
    Paris can be reached from London by Eurostar in around two hours; quicker than flying. If pressed for time, this would be a quick easy option for taking a peek at a third country on your trip, though I don't think Paris is representative of France any more than London is representative of London. Both well worth experiencing however. :)

24. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I'm equally insulted by the stereotype of our friendliness as I am by the stereotype of sectarian violence :p.

arjank LukesSeveredHand

Bring raincoats and waterproof shoes - that isn't a stereotype, it will rain on you ;)

Come in by Shannon Airport if possible, like CairnsTony suggests - all the scenery is great here but is best on the west side - Dublin has places of historical interest but the majority of people tell me they spend too much time there ( at the cost of getting to other places ) if they come in that way.

25. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    LukesSeveredHand

London's an awesome base, lived here a few years. If you want suggestions for night life give me a heads up closer to the time.

If you want to do the tourist thing but with a bit of a spin (and also win good husband points by being romantic) head into central London just before sunrise and hit up all the tourist sites. Everywhere is deserted, all very peaceful and everything looks that little bit prettier. St James park at sunrise is beautiful and very different to when it's full of hundreds of screaming kids.....also you get to pretend you're in 28 Days Later if you head up over the bridge to Parliament. Seeing it all in the day isn't as cool.

On the film location side of things here's a few of my favourites in London.

Greenwich (Pirates of the Caribbean + Thor 2)
    Black Park if you want to play at Star Wars/Harry Potter.
    Highgate Cemetery (Peter Cushings Tales from the Cypt)
    Numerous churches from the Omen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.