main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holiday Special considered canon?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Apprentice_Anakin, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Apprentice_Anakin

Apprentice_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Sep 17, 2001
    Is the Holiday special concidered canon or Expanded Universe? I ask because in the 'movie' one of the Imperials call the Wookiee homeworld Kazuuke. And seen as Kashyyyk has (so far) only been in Expanded Universe material, it does unfortunately make sense that the Wookieeworld is called Kazuuke, because canon takes precidence over expanded universe.

(BTW, I'm not really serious about this. This is just for discussions sake, I don't honestly think it's called Kazuuke.)

2. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    No it's not canon. It may not even be EU since Lucas disowns it. Just because it's on TV doesn't mean it's canon. The ewok movies and the CW cartoon are EU aswell.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No it's not canon. It may not even be EU since Lucas disowns it. Just because it's on TV doesn't mean it's canon. The ewok movies and the CW cartoon are EU aswell.

Uh, Guff? Try not to speak on canon -- 'cause you're wrong. ;)

Yes, the Holiday Special is canon at this point. The only things NOT canon are those things marked with the "Infinities" label. Although George considers the Holiday Special apocryphal (as do many of you), this does not negate the fact that, to date, the show has not been marked with the Infinities label. Which means it's just as canon as the Ewok movies, Ewok and Droid cartoons, Star Wars films, comics, books, etc.

4. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    In the books for example, the names of Chewbacca's family are the same ones used in the Holiday Special. The same for Chewie's father in the NJO and Galactic Battlegrounds. ;)

5. Blackout

Blackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2000
    It's got most of the original actors playing their original roles, calling each other by their original screen-names. It's even got deleted scenes from the original movie and the story was written by George Lucas. And it says "Star Wars" at the start.

Frankly, it's more canon than a cross between a cannon and a photocopier made by Canon. With CANON written on the side.

In other words, you'd better believe it. Sadly.

:p {||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6. JediJoeMadman

JediJoeMadman Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2004
    It's only considered canon if one accepts it as a bad dream Chewie was having after eating some stale grubs.

Seriously, it is and it isn't. Lucas disavows the entire episode, however, the books still make reference to Chewies family, so they can be considered canon I suppose. I would like to think that even Art Carney's character could be (at the least) part of the expanded universe, but any character played by Bea Arthur or Harvey Corman must not only be forgotten, but pitched down the nearest reactor shaft asap.

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I actually like "Wookieeworld" as a name!

I've read that Zahn wanted to introduce a family for Chewbacca, but was then informed by LFL that he already had one - From the Holliday Special.

Do what you will with that knowledge.

8. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    Do what you will with that knowledge.

Can I throw up?

9. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    Can I throw up?

If you like. You wouldn't be the first. :p
    It won't make the HS any better though, I'm afraid...

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sex. Golf. Jedi Outcast.
    3 things you can enjoy without being ANY good at !!

Man, that's da-amn funny! :D

11. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    It won't make the HS any better though, I'm afraid...

What do you mean by that?

12. Blackout

Oct 7, 2000
    I mean regardless of how Canon the Holiday Special is or isn't, it's still bad. All the vomiting, screaming and shouting in the world won't change that. I've tried.

For the reasons I stated above, it's as close to movie-canon as you're going to get. But it's like the black-sheep of the family.

Love the cartoon though :D

EDIT: I realise now that you thought I may have meant HyperSpace. My apologies.

{||||| ?||} ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

13. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    lol yeah, kinda threw me off there.

14. Shannon Darklighter

Shannon Darklighter Jedi Grand Master star 1

Jun 11, 1999
    I'm confused as to why everyone HATES the Holiday Special so, so much.

Yes, it sucks, but if you take a look back it is really not much worse than other similar specials of that era. Personally, I always thought that Star Wars on the Muppet Show was worse.

*cringes in anticipation of flying fruit*

15. Apprentice_Anakin

Sep 17, 2001
    *picks up a pomnegranite*

16. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "Star Wars on the Muppet Show was worse. "

Oh come on, what's wrong with Darth Gonzo?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Holiday Special again. Sure it's chock full of cheesy goodness but hey at the time it was great! Star Wars on TV!! Woo Hoo. Of course I was 6 at the time.

17. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Star Wars on The Muppet Show!?!?!?! That must've been most sensational, inspirational, celebrational and muppetational!!!

18. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Yep, and it had Luke Skywalker's cousin Mark Hamill too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.