main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hollywood awarded Lucas an oscar

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Galactic_Emperor, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    In 1992 the academy of arts of hollywood awarded an honorary oscar to GL, which he gladly accepted, for its life-long achievements, mainly SW. Does that disproves a little the conspiracy theory of "hollywood vs GL", and somewhat reaffirms the fact that the OT has a standing of its own seperated from the PT ?

2. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    does anybody remember the ceremony? I seem to recall that Lucas did not receive a standing ovation (everybody else who wins this gets one)and I also remember a Live Broadcast from the space shuttle Columbia with the congratulations from the crew

3. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    MEDIA CONSPIRACY!!!!

4. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Why does hollywood think GL is Satan?

5. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    That proves 100% that there IS NO CONSPIRACY. Why do SW freaks think Hollywood is Satan?

6. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Maybe because it IS ... !!! [face_devil]

Sorry ...

BTW : how many Oscars did all the Star Wars movies recieve ?

7. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    Hollywood's not Satan. Only Hollywood PRODUCERS! McCallum Anyone? j/k

8. Galactic_Emperor

Galactic_Emperor Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    "That proves 100% that there IS NO CONSPIRACY. Why do SW freaks think Hollywood is Satan?"

You will find that many people on this boards find the "conspiracy" theory to be true, that hollywood is bent on SW-bashing.

9. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Apophis, SW has won a total of 9 Oscars, from 22 nominations.

10. muymaul

muymaul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 24, 1999
    Does anyone even care about the Oscars anymore?

11. DarthWeenie

Sep 2, 2002
    "You will find that many people on this boards find the "conspiracy" theory to be true, that hollywood is bent on SW-bashing."

Indeed. But evidence cannot be ignored. 9 Oscars.

However idiocy CAN be ignored.

No conspiracy fellas...

12. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    "Why does hollywood think GL is Satan?"

Thats the point, they don't, they love him

He's friends witht he creme de la creme, spielberg, coppola, scorese, and half the movies in hollywood get worked on by either ILM or skywalker sound.

the only ones who hate GL are you guys,

13. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with Rebel Scumb on this issue.

You speak the truth, man.

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    It seems they gave Lucas the Life Time Achivement Award so they wouldn't have to give him anymore.

They mainly give the Life Time Achivement Award to people they have forgotten to give one too. It's basicly the Acadamy covering thier rear end.

Like Peter O'Toole's Oscar they gave him one because they forgot to give him one before and they don't want to look foolish.

The only thing I can't figure out that if they don't want to give anymore to Lucas why do the other creative people that work on his films not recive any nominations? It seems they are subbing great talent just becuase they work with Mr. Lucas.

15. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    I remember that and I remember Spielberg giving him the Oscar.

okay reason why lucas is not well received:

he changed the way films were being made and started the blockbuster trend.

he keeps money out of hollywood, yeah fox makes money but all the money the big producers make in hollywood usually goes back to lucas and crew. no other producers (Rick is his only one and he works mainly with lucas)and the producers are some of the bigger voters. he has his core group.

his friends are not well reciveed either, spileberg is not a big oscar grabber anymore-I think he won too much or something, Scorses is not well liked in Hollywood either. Though several of his pics have won hand over fist on Oscar nights past he has been ignored.

AOTC is barely seen as a film because it was done all digital.

16. GeekBob

GeekBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2002
    In the anals of nonsensical fan conspiracies, surely "Hollywood has a long-held conspiracy against Star Wars" is surely near the top of the list in terms of shear ridiculousness.

I mean, honestly, people. Listen to what you're saying: Hollywood HATES Star Wars? Star Wars has made a tremendous amount of money off of SW and the "blockbuster" action-trend it kicked off.

As for a lack of Oscars being "evidence," IMO that doesn't hold up either. It's only been these past two years that there's been any films in the "big-budget scifi/fantasy" genre that have been serious contenders for the "bigger" prizes, and SW was never exactly angling for a BP win, anyway. (imo, the only SW film that could even have been a legitimate contender for ANY kind of "best picture" prize was ESB, and that one wasn't even nominated to my recollection.)

Yes, SW was at one time unstoppable in FX nominations/wins, and yes, this is no longer the case. The reason for that, though, is NOT an anti-SW conspiracy, it's that the SW films/FX being nominated now flat-out DON'T DESERVE IT.

...On a side note, if anyone knows of any nature films where one can see terrible things befalling a Weta (a big mantis-like insect native to New Zealand from which the LOTR FX company takes it's name) you might want to contact ILM... I bet that's something they'd REALLY like to see right about now :)

If anything, it's LUCAS who dislikes most of Hollywood, not the other way around. Remember, he's the one who's committed himself to being perpetually removed from "the system" most of the time.

17. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    We "conspiracy" theorists aren't talking about how Lucas was treated 10 years ago, we're talking about how he's being treated now.

Sure, it's great that he got an honorary Oscar in 1992, but what about 2002? He may have been rewarded in the past, but he's clearly being snubbed now.

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    Are you guys now proposing that in addition to not giving AOTC any Oscars last night, the Academy punished Scorcese for being good friends with "outsider" Lucas by not awarding him Best Director for Gangs?

19. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Scorese has never been liked in hollywood either... he knows this has said and doesn't mind that he will most likely never win anything for his work.

20. queenseamstress

queenseamstress TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Jan 30, 2002
    I don't think that it is GL alone that is being snubbed, but the whole sci-fi movie industry by the Academy. The Academy is made up of a bunch of old hoots and then some actors that are voting only for their friends or themselves, or their friends in Hollywood.
    I mean, c'mon-how could Trisha B. not get an Oscar for her costumes in The Phantom Menace? Queen Amidala's costumes from that episode were the greatest that year by far...movies that are fantasy or sci-fi in nature may make a ton of money, but they are seldom given any credit for their genius, whether it be in acting, costumes, special effects, or what have you.
    You know who I think is long overdue for an Oscar? Trisha for her EpI costumes, Ian McKellan for supporting actor in LOTR-the Fellowship, and for an oldie but goodie-I think that eons ago, like in 1980, that Dragonslayer should have won an Oscar for special effects, for having the most realistic looking dragon I have ever seen in a film, to this day-without any digital effects. That dragon scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.
    They have so many awards shows now-they should start a sci-fi awards show.
    Qs

21. GeekBob

Dec 15, 2002
    >>Sure, it's great that he got an honorary Oscar in 1992, but what about 2002? He may have been rewarded in the past, but he's clearly being snubbed now.<<

I'd disagree on both the "clearly" and the "snubbed." AOTC and TPM weren't "snubbed," for example, in the FX category; they simply LOST :)

Unless, of course, you're suggesting that Lucas ought to have been nominated for Director or TPM/AOTC for Picture; which is a whole OTHER can of worms...

22. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    Hasn't SW won 10 Oscars ?
    Look at imdb.com ...
    I could be mistaken though :p

23. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    If I remember right Lucas had a go at hollywood for being up their own backsides before TPM came out and well the results are pretty obvious. There's no way in hell you'd ever convince me that the matrix had better effects than TPM or that TTT had better effects than AOTC. Don't really pay that much attention to costumes to say anything on that front...

24. GeekBob

Dec 15, 2002
    >>If I remember right Lucas had a go at hollywood for being up their own backsides before TPM came out and well the results are pretty obvious.<<

Let's be objective, for a moment, here. Taking shots at "the system" (i.e. Hollywood) while making millions crafting megahits for is hardly a celebrity pastime exclusive to George Lucas. Show me a successful filmmaker and I'll show you someone who has, at one time or another, promoted themselves or a project by talking up how it's "different from what Hollywood usually does," "not a Hollywood-type thing," "Not your typical Hollywood product," etc., etc. Glib, "self-aware" ribbing of the industry standard practically IS the industry standard at this point, so the the idea that a lack of recent Oscar wins evidences a vast anti-Lucas conspiracy doesn't hold water from where I'm watching.

>>There's no way in hell you'd ever convince me that the matrix had better effects than TPM or that TTT had better effects than AOTC.<<

This is, of course, completely subjective (and has likely been covered to the point of amusement in other threads) but I think I'd have to disagree with that assesment.

IMO, the FX "awards" are (or, at least, ideally should be) not merely about who's FX are the cleanest, most-seamless, closest-to-perfect technically; but ALSO about how innovative/interesting the visuals they are being used to create are and how well they serve their overall story.

While I'm no HUGE "Matrix" afficionado, I'd be willing to say that The Academy made the right choice in the case of that vs. TPM. "Matrix's" FX work isn't flawless, but the sequences and visuals they are used to create are (overall, IMO) more innovative and interesting than the majority of what's in TPM.

Seriously, objectively, just for a moment, take a good long look at TPM's effects... While certainly impressive, gorgeous even and without a doubt technically flawless, it's mostly things we've seen before. Big armies massing, a space-battle, Jurassic Park-esque lumbering beasts, etc. Nothing WRONG with that, but still; TPM's only real, unarguable innovation in FX is Jar Jar Binks, a creation which at this point seems poised and ready to be remembered by Cinema History as an embarassing, unfortunate but ultimately minor stumbling block on the way to "Gollum" in the evolution of Digital Actors. ;)

Now, as for TTT vs. AOTC, that strikes me as a tougher call as both are FX-heavy films in the same basic genre with similar FX-"requirements" (big monsters, armies, a digital main cast member, etc.,) in their story. IMO, TTT still comes out on top in terms of originality of execution and raw cinematic POWER. The "artificial" Gollum emotes more convincingly than any human actor in AOTC, the (only partially) "MASSIVE"-controlled armies clashing at Helms Deep makes the Battle of Geonisis look scattershot and lacking "real" danger.

Yes, one can pick out fragments where the mattes are not "perfect" or the CGI isn't quite-so-detailed as ILM's, but show me ONE FX sequence in AOTC with the gorgeous shot-composition or the raw "WOW!" impact of the tethered Trolls opening the Black Gates, the Ents march on Isengard or that stunning image of the Fell Beast-riding Nazgul rearing up in front of Frodo in slow-motion at Osgiliath. The only things I could think of that come close in AOTC is the first sight of the Clone Troopers marching in formation on Kamino or the final sweep of the Clone Army massed on Coruscant; and even those scenes are marred just a bit for me by the way the overuse of CGI in them calls attention to their artificiality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.