main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. severian28

severian28 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 1, 2004

Absolutely stellar mini series.

2. redsabreanakin

redsabreanakin Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 16, 2005
    Wow!! you've seen it also??? that's cool. It really is fantastic isn't it? I mean it's really well done..I enjoy watching it. With all the garbage they are putting on dvd's these days..I'm really wishing this would come out...but back on topic..

Glenn Ford as Tom Sunday...was really great. He will always be Jonathan Kent...but this is the second role that comes to mind.

3. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Try "Gilda" or "White Heat". Both great movies.

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I saw the Sacketts back in the day (groan). Fan of the books; very good miniseries, you're right, but I can't recall much about it.

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Jack Palance (1919-2006)

Born in Pennsylvania, Palance started out as a boxer; then he was mustered into the army; and then he tried acting, starting in 1950. In the 60's, he mostly worked abroad.

His best asset was his Aztec-Emperor face--he looked like a commanding heavy.

Recommended:

1950: "Panic in the Streets"
    1952: "Sudden Fear"
    1953: "Shane"
    1955: "The Big Knife"
    1956: "Attack"
    1970: "Monte Walsh"
    1989: "Batman"
    1990: "City Slickers" (Best Supporting Actor)

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He's another of those people who makes you realize the importance of being distinctive over being good looking. Not that he was ugly, but he was instantly recognizeable.

When he won for City Slickers, it was apparently the longest time between first nomination for an Oscar and first win. Fitting.

He's absolutely chilling in Shane; he hardly talks, but he's pure ice, one of the great villains of all time.

City Slickers is odd; he shows a quite pronounced and brilliant comic touch.

7. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Jack was terrific in a spaghetti western called Compañeros. He plays a one handed, pot smoking, hawk weilding killer. He lost his hand when his hawk "Marsha" ate it off to free him from certain death. Fun stuff!

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He had a good voice, too.

9. Jedi Hunter

Jedi Hunter Jedi Master

Jan 7, 2000
    "Believe it... or not!"

Awesome delivery of that line.

His daughter was on "Ripley's Believe It or Not!" when he hosted it.

She was hot (in an '80s sorta way)!

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Sounds like the role he was born to play. Got to track that one down.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Today: Robert Altman (1925-2006)

Born: Kansas City, Missouri

Tried acting, song-writing, and screenwriting (including a film called "Christmas Eve" (1947) in California, before returning to KC and working in documentaries, commercials and training films. He left KC to direct Alfred Hitchcock's TV show and finally got a crack at directing movies again. In 1969 he was offered "MASH" (1970). Not much of a compliment; fifteen other directors turned it down, before they tried him. The film was a success (though it has dated a good deal).

Actors loved him, mainly because he indulged them--at times to their detriment, others times to their benefit.

A confession: I've watched a lot of Altman's films, and I simply have no affinity for his style. I think "The Long Goodbye" is pretty good, but I've generally either not much liked his movies or actively hated them: (ie. "Gosford Park").

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    His style is muddy, for sure.

I've seen two of his films: MASH (which I found unfunny and generally mean spirited) and Thieves Like Us (which I found beautiful, tragic and brilliant).

So, fifty-fifty so far; I'll try some more sometime and see which way the coin flips.

13. Boba_Fett_123

Boba_Fett_123 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I loved his directing style, and the man could work an ensemble like no other. It hurt to read the news today.

14. Django211

Django211 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 6, 1999
    Philippe Noiret

October 1, 1930 - November 23, 2006

A fantastic French actor probably best known as Alfredo in the film Cinema Paradiso. He also played Pablo Neruda in
    Il Postino. He won the Cesar twice & last year was awarded the French Legion of Honor.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Died pretty young, too. :p

16. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    It is always a sad occassion when this thread has to be updated, but Peter Boyle has passed away.

Yahoo! article

CNN article

The world's lost a talented man. @};-

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No kidding; he could do humour ("Puttin' on the Ritz" in "Young Frankenstein" is fall-on-the-floor funny) and drama with equal facility.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    His performance in Young Frankenstein is one of the greatest comedy performances of all time; he's mostly entirely pantomime, but he sells it.

And his turn on The X-Files' Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is a masterful performance.

A definite tragedy. He was always watchable.

19. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Yvonne de Carlo (1922-2007) in Vancouver, B. C. (real name: Peggy Middleton)

A very long career, with a few highlights:

1947: "Brute Force"
    1949: "Criss Cross"
    1953: "The Captain's Paradise" (co-starring Alec Guinness & Celia Johnson
    1956: "The Ten Commandments"
    1957: "Band of Angels"
    1963: "McLintock!"

But she's best remembered as Lily Munster on the TV series: "The Munsters" (1964-66)

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Today: Betty Hutton (born: Elizabeth June Thornburg in Battle Creek, Michigan)

Singer and movie star in the 40's and 50's.

Hutton is an acquired taste, and I never acquired it. She's good in Preston Sturges' "The Miracle of Morgan Creek" because her style matched his; but usually she overpowered her co-stars and her own roles. Horrible example: "Annie Get Your Gun", which is ruined by her out-of-control mugging.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    She was great in Morgan's Creek, as was everyone. Don't recall seeing her in much else.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Bob Clark (1939-2007)

Clark was a director and screenwriter of greatly varying quality.

On one hand, he directed schlock: "Porky's" and its sequel; "Rhinestone"; and "Baby Geniuses".

On the other hand, he directed the Christmas favourite: "A Christmas Story" (1983); and the excellent horror movie: "Black Christmas." (1974)

Died in a car accident with his 22-year-old son; they were hit by a drunk driver (to add insult to injury, the drunk was also an illegal alien).

23. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I believe "A Christmas Story" is the only film I've seen of his; but it is most assuredly among my favorite movies of all time. So perfect, so classic. He was scheduled to make an appearance at the family house from "A Christmas Story", which is in Cleveland and has been turned into a small museum to honor the movie. That would have happened in November. :(

Such a tragedy... Anything I say would just be trite.

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Roscoe Lee Brown (1925-2007)

Blessed with a terrific voice, lots of smarts, and a disdainful manner, Brown did a lot of television ("Soap", etc.) and numerous movies ("The Cowboys", "Babe", and "Babe: Pig in the City")

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Tom Poston (1921-2007)

Tall, bumbling comic who specialized in second bananas on TV series--The Steve Allen Show, Newhart, and Mork and Mindy are among his series.

Married to Suzanne Pleshette.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.