main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  3. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Always thought she was great in Silver Streak with Gene Wilder. :)

4. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Only just watched La Luna, the first film I've seen her in. I thought she was very, very good in it. She certainly overcame the more... disturbing elements of that story.

RIP.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Her obituaries said that she had leukemia for *21 years* and fought it all the way.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I only ever saw her in Silver Streak, which I didn't care for; not her fault, the script's.

But, good Lord, 21 years with leukemia? Rest in peace, indeed.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Dino produced some of my favorite genre films, including Barbarella (1968), King Kong (1976), Flash Gordon (1980), Halloween II (1981), Conan the Barbarian (1982), Dune (1984), Evil Dead 2 (1987) and Army of Darkness (1993). He also produced some critical successes -- Serpico (1973), Three Days of the Condor (1975) -- and a wide variety of film in numerous genres, such as Death Wish (1974), Hannibal (2001) and Red Dragon (2002).

His contribution to and influence on world cinema cannot be overstated or underestimated. He will be missed.

@};-

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I thought he was involved with James Bond, and then realized I was thinking of Cubby Broccoli.[face_blush]

10. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Don't forget about Danger: Diabolik, which has been called the perfect comic book adaptation movie, and I'd say is a "must see" when talking about de Laurentis.

For a bit of fun, footage from Daibolik was interspliced in a Beastie Boys music video HERE and readily shows off the style.

11. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    I was always impressed that after David Lynch's disastrous Dune movie, instead of holding that 40 million dollar flop against him, de Laurentiis a year or two later gave Lynch 6 million dollars to make Blue Velvet with total artistic freedom. Once someone has a colossal failure in Hollywood, a lot of people won't go near them. But de Laurentiis was a loyal person.

He refused to give Lynch final cut on Blue Velvet on paper, because he felt it would establish a precedent at his company that he didn't want. But he shook Lynch's hand on giving total control and Dino kept his word and never interfered,, according to the Special Edition DVD.

He produced a lot of junk and some pretty good movies as well, but he seems to have been liked and respected by a lot of people.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I saw Where Eagles Dare. She was not a particularly great actress or anything, but as Entertainment Weekly so wonderfully put it, 'Hammer was never sexier.' Is it wrong to talk about lust and the recently deceased, they then ask? Given her record in vampire films, I'd say she wouldn't mind. But Where Eagles Dare . . . I mean, not a great movie, not a great performance, but . . . okay, why be high minded . . . great body, great face. Memorably sexy, I'd just sum up with.

14. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    Its been reported today that Leslie Nielson passed away in his sleep.

:(

15. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Thanks for the heads up:

Leslie Neilsen 1926-2010

I was amused to note that his dad was a police officer and surprised to learn Jean Hersholt was his uncle.

16. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    NOOOOO!!!!! Naked Gun!!! Dammit I loved this man's corny movies. I wish we could all die in our sleep though being oblivious to it. Im sad.

17. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Well someone has to say it, surely you can't be serious.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Don't call me Shirley. [face_shame_on_you]

19. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    NOOOOO!!!!! Naked Gun!!! Dammit I loved this man's corny movies. I wish we could all die in our sleep though being oblivious to it. Im sad.

He was certainly an enigma. It's interesting to think that he spent just as much of his career in serious, dramatic roles as he did in the later comedy ones. Forbidden Planet...The soap opera Peyton Place (which was kind of like a pre-Dallas)...the gritty cop show that pre-dated SWAT that I can't remember the title of...

But yeah, I think his brand of comedy is what endeared him to audiences... I wonder how he felt about the two different aspects of his long career?

...and don't call him Shirley...:p

20. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    One of my favorite exchanges:

Mayor: Now Drebin, I don't want any trouble like you had on the South Side last year, that's my policy.
    Frank: Well, when I see five weirdos, dressed in togas, stabbing a man in the middle of the park in full view of a hundred people, I shoot the bastards, that's *my* policy!
    Mayor: That was a Shakespeare-In-The-Park production of 'Julius Caesar,' you moron! You killed five actors! Good ones!

21. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
  22. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Agreed! CLASSIC! [face_laugh]

23. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That is a great one. I find this exchange from NG particularly appropriate, though:

Frank: A good cop - needlessly cut down by some cowardly hoodlums.
    Ed: That's no way for a man to die.
    Frank: No... you're right, Ed. A parachute not opening... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!
    Wilma Nordberg: [cries] Oh... Frank. This is terrible!
    Ed: Don't you worry, Wilma. Your husband is going to be alright. Don't you worry about anything. Just think positive. Never let a doubt enter your mind.
    Frank: He's right, Wilma. But I wouldn't wait until the last minute to fill out those organ donor cards.
    [Wilma cries again]
    Ed: What I'm trying to say is that, Wilma, as soon as Nordberg is better, he's welcome back at Police Squad.
    Frank: ...Unless he's a drooling vegetable. But I think that's only common sense.
    [Wilma cries again]

24. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    LMAO!!! These movies are so hilarious once you get old enough to understand them.

25. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    Irvin Kershner is dead.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71962
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=29588
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/29/3079920.htm
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101129/ennew_afp/entertainmentfranceusfilmdirector
    http://uk.imdb.com/news/ni5829520/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.