main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    S'alright. I was relieved when I saw it, because I thought someone else had died.

2. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Dwayne McDuffie died on Tuesday, and while he was more known for being a comic author, since he was a writer on DC DVDs, and Justice League, and created Static Shock the show, this place also seems fitting for him.

4. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Don Peterman was a world-class director of photography. His resume is spectacular in terms of big Hollywood movies: Star Trek IV, Men in Black, Addams Family Values to name a few.

Don Peterman IMDB credits

It's especially interesting to note that Peterman worked on two movies for Barry Sonnenfeld who himself had been one of the absolute best directors of photography in Hollywood before moving over to the director's chair. It's not easy to be the DP on a film where the director knows your job as well, or better, than you do.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Jane Russell, 1921-2011

Often a very popular actress with her costars; Mitchum was a big fan of hers; and she even got on with Marilyn Monroe (her director on "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", Howard Hawks, found Monroe utterly infuriating, but discovered that if he told Russell what he wanted, she would be able to explain it to Monroe...and did. So her protective style in that movie with Monroe was a reflection of real life.)

See: "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes", "The Tall Men", "Paleface" and "Son of Paleface" (in which she's far more entertaining than Bob Hope.)

Gary Winick, 1961-2011

"As Cinetic's Matt Dentler sadly noted in his tweet announcing the passing of Gary Winick last night, the timing was "too late to make the Oscar [in memorium] tribute, but way too early." In a cruel twist of fate, it wasn't unusual for the writer/director, who was set to turn 50 next month, to be ahead of his time.

Winick was of course a filmmaker first, leaving behind a dozen films that grew from small-scale indie dramas to crowdpleasers such as "Charlotte's Web" and "Letters to Juliet" that charmed audiences by the millions. Yet his most enduring legacy is likely the one he left on a smaller community, the thousands of filmmakers who have and will continue to benefit from his work as a digital pioneer at the turn of the century as the founder of InDigEnt, the collective he created with Cinetic's John Sloss and IFC Films [our corporate sibling] to make films for under $100,000 on digital video."

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    [image=http://cinefantastiqueonline.com/wp-content/uploads/gough2.jpg]

"Can I persuade you to take a sandwich with you sir?"

A great legend of the big and small screen, also famous for appearing in Doctor Who a couple of times.

8. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I hate to say it, but I thought he passed away a couple of years ago. :oops:

Still, sad news.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Definitely sad- he was excellent in the first one, and still did a great job even through the sequels.

10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    You're not alone. :p

11. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Gough's first film acting credit was in 1946. His last film credit was voicing the Dodo bird in Tim Burton's billion dollar hit Alice in Wonderland. He only had few lines, but I thought it was cool that Burton invited him to the party to act when he was in his 90s!

I had forgotten that Michael Gough worked for George Lucas. He played Leo Tolstoy in an episode of the Indiana Jones Chronicle's TV series.

Check out his imdb credits page...pretty amazing longevity.

Michael Gough acting credits

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Almost as awesome as Christopher Lee

13. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    I thought he was very good as Alfred, even in the Schumacher films

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Hammer version of The Phantom of the Opera, with Herbert Lom as a sympathetic, tragic Phantom, also features Gough as a caddish, amoral high society bastard. It's a small performance, but a great one, utterly hissable and slimy. It was interesting to see him playing a character so different from Alfred and being so good at it.

15. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Time to update this thread. Elizabeth Taylor died this morning.

Link

16. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    One of the most iconic actresses of the 20th century. Even if you've never seen a film with her, you could still recognize her.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    A true LEGEND of the screen.

The word is bandied about so casually that it needs such emphasizing when it is truly applicable. Although her acting might have been inconsistent, there's a fine crop of significant performances in her career, not to mention some charismatic juvenile turns. I'm not sure that anyone more extraordinarily beautiful than Taylor during the 1950s has ever graced the silver screen. As beautiful, maybe. But not more.

18. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    I never thought she'd outlive Mickey Rooney. May she rest in peace... @};-

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Rooney's still alive, age 90.

20. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
  21. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    I concur with this assessment.

22. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    #1 would be her actual intro in the film, perhaps. ;)

23. MandalorianDuchess

MandalorianDuchess Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 16, 2010
    You're absolutely right, Nevermind. I meant to say that I was surprised Mickey Rooney had outlived Taylor, seeing as how he's 10 years older...

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I figured you had. Just ignore me. :)

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    This is sad, I was just watching a segment of Cleopatra the otherday...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.