main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Beautiful, she was. A great actress, maybe not, though she was generally at least serviceable and certainly capable of sometimes surprisingly nuanced turns. I still think my favorite performance of hers is in National Velvet though.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Her voice was a bit of a problem. Oddly, when she used a Southern accent, the problem was solved. Which is why I liked "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" (it's also on view in "Raintree County")--this strange slutty creature emerged.

When very young, as in "A Place in the Sun" she's so beautiful, she's practically superhuman. You understand a murder being committed for her. And then some.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    She is pretty great in A Place In the Sun, a movie I didn't much care for otherwise.

4. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, yes, she got it that time. When she got it, she could be great.

5. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    Her voice was definitely a problem. Too high and thin, especially when younger, and at times she didn't know how to use it. In this way she reminds me of Vivien Leigh, also one of the world's truly great beauties, but also not blessed with good vocal equipment. Still, they both did pretty well anyway, working with what they had. ;)

Hearing Elizabeth Taylor attempt to sing, "Send in the Clowns" in the film version of "A Little Night Music" must have given Stephen Sondheim fits!

Elizabeth Taylor "attempts" Sondheim

On the positive side, Taylor used her voice to maximum effect in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" with no problem at all.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Farley Granger 1925-2011

Worked with Hitchcock twice ("Rope" and "Strangers on a Train"), Milestone twice ("The North Star" and "The Purple Heart"), Nicholas Ray ("They Live by Night") once, Anthony Mann ("Side Street")once and Visconti ("Senso")once.

Look for those movies. The rest is pretty disposable.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Strangers On a Train was surely his greatest legacy. He's also good in Rope, the other Hitchcock. He's surprisingly good in They Live By Night too.

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Ironically, Hitchcock didn't want him; he had William Holden in mind.

9. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    He was pretty good in an episode of Get Smart, where he plays a vain and rather pathetic actor.

He's pretty ludicrous in Rope. I think his best performance was They Live by Night - he's well cast, at any rate.

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think he's perfectly cast in Strangers On a Train too. Holden, I think, would have had too much strength. Guy is supposed to be a push-over and, I think, rather pathetic too. He's in a loveless marriage, being whipped to hell and back by his harridan wife; and Walker's Bruno dominates him from the word go. Rather than off-balancing the picture, as you might think it would, I think it makes the movie better. Holden might have done a very good Guy, but it would have been different. And I like Granger's Guy; he's . . . weak and I think he needs to be.

I mean, the entire third act hinges on the fact that he can't even just put his tennis opponent away, even when it's frigging life and death. I think he's supposed to be a pretty inept person; ironically, despite all the hell he goes through, Bruno really does fix Guy's life for him, when it's all said and done; if Bruno hadn't come along, things would have kept as they were for the next forty years probably. God, what a great movie. Need to watch it again. I've talked myself into it.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  12. somethingfamiliar

somethingfamiliar Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2003
    I always thought he had a cool name.

13. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

Twelve Angry Men, Serpico, Network, just to name a few. He was one of the greats.

14. corran2

corran2 Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2006
    Wow, I'm shocked. This is one of those guys you thought would never be gone. Rarely will a director be as consistently brilliant as Lumet was. His first movie was 12 Angry Men in 1957, his last was Before the Devil Knows Your Dead in 2007, and in-between were all sorts of classics. May well be the most underrated director in film history.

15. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    This hits me hard. Lumet's one of my top 5 directors, a real inspiration. His book, Making Movies, is superb (and highly informative), and between 12 Angry Men, Long Day's Journey into Night, The Pawnbroker, Fail-Safe, The Hill, The Offence, Serpico, Murder on the Orient Express, Dog Day Afternoon, Equus, Deathtrap, Running on Empty, Find me Guilty, and Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, he's provided me with more entertainment and joy than most other filmmakers. Comfortably. He will be missed.

16. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Q&A is a great forgotten Lumet film. He got Nick Nolte's best performance out of him in that movie. Terrific; terrifying.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Lots of media coverage of Lumet; more than usual, anyway.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  20. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Jackie Cooper, child star, youngest Best Actor nominee ever, and Perry White in the Dick Donner Superman films, has passed away at the age of 88.

22. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Will be missed. :( I first saw noticed him in Superman; years later I discovered I had actually seen him even earlier in Treasure Island without realising (so young!).

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  24. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Can't deny the excellence of West Side Story, even if the brilliance is mostly in the music. RIP.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    To have written the screeplay for Hitchcock's Rope so many years ago, and a script for The Turning Point in the 70s for Herbert Ross, which was a fine film, shows Laurents had staying power for decades as a screenwriter.

This guy must have had some kind of energy level...he restaged and directed his own West Side Story three years ago on Broadway, made it more contemporary, added more Spanish.
    Approximately FIFTY years after it originally ran.

And he did that at....age NINETY. Wow.

Arthur Laurents was quite a talent, his resume and accomplishments speak for themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.