main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    He was a by God pro. He elevated everything he was ever in. Great actor, equally skilled at comedy and drama.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
  3. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    ...and the man behind almost all classic film fights from Errol Flynn to LOTR.

4. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Yeah, as someone who loves watching cinematic sword-fights, this is a big loss.

5. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    He was a good man, a kind man... he was one third of Darth Vader.

Strange epitaph.:)

It was nice that Mark Hamill came forward some years ago and mentioned, in interviews,
    who Bob Anderson was, and the contributions he made to the original STAR WARS films.

As if David Prowse ever would...

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    This guy was super-knowledgeable; a real expert on his chosen subject and he's the major reason any action sequence with swords that you love is worth loving. He'll be missed.

7. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    I've heard worse epitaphs.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Already posted this in the other Mr. Anderson threads, BUT, since he had several acting roles and was a fencer, he should have played Dooku in the prequels.

Watching the TESB duel invokes a whole new level of respect for him. Mr. Anderson was nearly sixty when he climbed into a hot, claustrophobic costume designed for a man several inches taller than him (and quite a lot heavier) ...and proceeded to establish Darth Vader as an incredible swordsman with far, far more ability with a blade than we'd given him credit for. The first few moves of that duel are just beautiful; Luke tries these two big, slashing baseball-bat swings...and Vader barely even moves and completely blocks both of them.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  12. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    We also lost Nicol Williamson, one of the great cinematic Sherlock Holmes...es. And a fruity Merlin, to boot.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ralph McQuarrie passed away today. :( From Steve Sansweet's facebook:

"THE DEATH OF AN ICON: I?m sorry to report that RALPH McQUARRIE, the brilliant concept artist who brought George Lucas? ideas and story of Star Wars to amazing visual life, died earlier today (Saturday March 3) at his home in Berkeley, California, after a long illness. He was 82 years old. Plans for a memorial service are pending. Ralph was not only a superb artist, but a fascinating story teller. He was quiet and self-effacing, but became the perfect partner for Lucas to get his initial Star Wars movies look as striking as they did. Ralph is survived by the love of his life, his wife Joan, who was always his strongest champion. I met them both in the early 1990s when I was working on my first Star Wars book and I want to express my personal condolences to Joan and all of their many friends."

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
  16. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    What an unfathomable influence that man had been on so many peoples' imaginations. Probably the greatest film artist ever. Even when you've seen what he designed realised on film, that original work still etches itself in your memory just as much as the film would or does. RIP.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The Art Of Star Wars/The Empire Strikes Back/Return Of The Jedi books are just amazing to look at; the man had such an incredible eye for detail and movement. Truly a sad day.

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    A great talent.

19. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004
    A visionary artist who helped a visionary filmmaker.

Lucas was smart. He knew 20th Century Fox wouldn't be able to visualize Star Wars from the screenplay so instead he hired McQuarrie to do some artwork. Lucas paid for the paintings out of his own pocket and it was a wise investment. The rest is history.

With the passing of McQuarrie, I will make a prediction. There are four individuals involved with movies whose passing will evoke masssive, world-wide grief. Lucas, Spielberg, Harrison Ford and John Williams.

Not that there aren't other people associated with filmmaking who will not cause a big reaction, but when each of these four men shake off this mortal coil, it's gonna be the biggest news story in the world.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think Lucas is hugely unappreciated, so I don't think his death would be as big as Spielberg's or Harrison Foard's. For a start, a lot of people who have never seen Star Wars don't know who Lucas is, pretty much everyone has heard of Spielberg even if they aren't sure which films he made.

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Sherman Helmsley.
    Edit: Clint Eastwood's Sanity.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    QFT

;)

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Wonderful actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.