main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Hollywood Death Watch

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The film has a weird, hyper-realistic style, no question. The distortion could be child's-eye-view. Or God's.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Tony Franciosa (1928-2006)

Ironically, he died a few days after one of his four wives, Shelly Winters.

I think I've seen only one of his movies, "The Long Hot Summer" in which he played the weakling son. He's not too bad, but his greatest success was in television. Seen his television appearances, too, but he didn't have a lot charisma, IMO.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah, I remember doing some research for my Oscar thread not long ago and I came across his nomination for A Hatful of Rain and I was just like, "what. who. when. what."

I have never seen this guy in anything, a glance at his filmography tells me and I would have been able to say I'd never even heard of him, if it hadn't been for that research a couple of weeks ago.

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..anyone ever see the "Space Travelers" episode of "Mystery Science Theatre 3000"? They had a great running gag thru that one confusing James Franciscus with Tony Franciosa...

5. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Chris Penn (1965-2006)

The younger brother of Sean Penn, Penn was described as just as talented, but much less cocky. He had some good roles early on: in "At Close Range" with Sean, and "Reservoir Dogs". Recently, however, he was sinking far down the cast list: in his 2004 film, he is listed as "Unruly fan."

It seems to be natural causes.

His last two movies, still in postproduction are titled: "King of Sorrow" and "Aftermath."

6. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Damn. I really liked him.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Ah, this was sad. He apparently weighed around 270 pounds at the time of his death, which probably contributed to both his death and the down turn of his career.

He was good in Pale Rider with Clint Eastwood and exceptional in what will always be his most remembered role as Nice Guy Eddie Cabot in Reservoir Dogs.

Ironically, his next film, just released at the film festivals, was The Darwin Awards.

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    He played Sean's younger brother in "At Close Range". He didn't know that the role would be his for life...

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: Moira Shearer (1926-2006)

A ballet dancer who became world-famous in 1948 in the movie "The Red Shoes". She made only a handful of other films: "Tales of Hoffman" (1951); "The Story of Three Loves" (1953); "The Man Who Loved Redheads" (1955) and the perverse "Peeping Tom" (1960), but "The Red Shoes" is still widely shown. She was incredible camera subject (very red hair, very pale skin).

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    She was really great in Peeping Tom . . . very interesting face, not perhaps beautiful, but instantly striking. Never saw the Red Shoes, but I want too.

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    You've seen "Peeping Tom?" I've been chasing that sucker forever.

I thought it was you that challenged me to see "The Red Shoes" in the "Has Anybody Seen This Movie Thread?" I guess not. Anyway, I watched it, and though there's some dated elements, the colour is extraordinary, and so is she.

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Peeping Tom is beyond brilliant. Very creepy, very cool . . . same year as Psycho and you can see how it plays into that comparison . . . sex and the serial killer have rarely been so intelligently yet creepily handled.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Where did you see it? Is it out on DVD?

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Not sure about that. I saw it on VHS (pan and scanned, curse them) from my University library. That was maybe three years ago . . . it may not be on DVD yet.

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I think we should revive the old challenge thread. Now that I think about it, it was Bright Sith who challenged me to see "The Red Shoes", not you. I made him see "The Band Wagon". :D

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: On the same day: Darren McGavin (1922-2006) and Don Knotts (1924-2006)

Darren McGavin started in movies in 1945, but never moved beyond light comedy supporting roles. He did a lot of TV, and was very popular. "The Night Stalker" is the best remembered of the lot, a supernatural cult series that depended heavily on his scruffy charm. In 1983, he made the film for which he is chiefly remembered, the midwest turkey junkie (Moleman's description), Mr. Parker, in "A Christmas Story". The insanely vulgar lamp that he wins as a prize and its eventual fate is a symbol of every struggle between husbands and wives. :D

Don Knotts had a more successful career in some ways. A more obvious comedian, he started in TV in 1951. His first movie, "No Time for Sergeants" (1958) was a good one. He then made a series of low-budget comedies: "The Incredible Mr. Limpet", "The Reluctant Astronaut", "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken", etc. etc. He was in two long-running and successful TV shows: "The Andy Griffith Show" and "Three's Company". After that he returned to Disney kiddie comedies, usually co-starring Tim Conway. His last role was a voice in "Chicken Little."

RIP.

17. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Thanks Zaz for adding my Turkey junkie bit. :p :)

Both from the movies and shows I've seen were good and memorable actors. I'll always remember McGavin as Old Man Parker from a Christmas Story and Knotts as Deputy Barney Fife. Some may have other memories but those are the two I'll never forget. @};-

18. Dark-Enigma

Dark-Enigma Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 8, 2006
    I'll always remember Don Knotts as Ralph Furley, always misunderstanding what Jack and Janet/Chrissy/Terry/Cindy are doing/talking about in the bedroom. And his little karate chop that he did on occasion. Very funny guy, hate to see him go. @};-

BTW, who did he voice in Chicken Little, I don't recall hearing him in that movie?

19. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Didn't Knotts have a small role in Pleasantville?

20. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes he was the TV repairman who gave Tobey Maquire the remote

Sad day,Knotts was terrific because he all ways had large amounts of energy and he brought it to his roles. He was the reason Andy Griffith was a success.

I loved The Night Stalker(Anyone who hasn`t seen it give it a look)

21. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  22. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I loved Darren McGavin in "A Christmas Story". He also made a nice appearance in an "X-Files" episode. :_|

He always had a special place in our family too: my grandmother is convinced he is related to our family (her maiden name was McGavin, supposedly "some McGavin's went out West", and Darren "looks like a McGavin"). There's never been persuading her otherwise.

23. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Well if your patient enough you can track it down

The Internet has made genelogy faster and easier

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Yikes! It does seem to come in threes:

William Dennis Weaver (1924-2006)

Started in the early 50's. His movie career was lacklustre, except for Orson Welles' "Touch of Evil" (1958), (unfortunately his performance and role is poor) and Spielberg's "Duel" (1971). In television, though, he had 2 good series--"Gunsmoke" (as the deputy, Chester), and "McCloud", which is a TV version of the Clint Eastwood movie, "Coogan's Bluff". The latter is highly entertaining. Married once & forever, believe it or not.

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Knotts was funny on Andy Griffith and he was a real stand out in No Time for Sergeants, his first big movie role. His schtick began to wear as he approached middle age, sadly. When used with wit (as in Pleasantville) it was fun to see him, but some of those Tim Conway films are just terrible.

Darren McGavin I'm not very familiar with . . . I have yet to see any of Night Stalker, though I did like him as Arthur Dales on the two eps of The X-Files he did.

And Weaver, again, not one I'm familiar with much.

Odd, three such iconic television actors dying so rapidly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.