Hollywood Star, Media are picking Spiderman over AOTC

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_X, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    I believe I've mentioned the actual numbers before, but they bear repeating. From the Internet Movie Database's list of the highest grossing movies of all time:

(Domestic gross ticket receipts in millions of US dollars)

2. $461M - Star Wars: A New Hope (1977)
    4. $431M - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    9. $309M - Return of the Jedi (1983)
    13. $290M - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

19. $251M - Batman (1989)
    20. $250M - Men in Black (1997)
    47. $184M - Batman Forever (1995)
    76. $163M - Batman Returns (1992)
    82. $157M - X-Men (2000)

(Further down in the list, you find the Superman movies, Batman & Robin, Blade, etc. And I include Men in Black because it was originally a comic book, though the fact was not nearly as apparent as, say, Batman or X-Men.)

(And it may surprise X-Men fans to know their movie didn't even break the top 75. Remember, though, it was a RELATIVE success. It was considered to have done extraordinarily well only because people thought it wasn't going to make much money at all.)

My point is, revenue-wise, the Star Wars films are at a level that NO comic book film has EVER reached. Will Spider-Man reach that level AND surpass Attack of the Clones? Considering The Phantom Menace over $400 million despite its lukewarm reception, I'd say, NOT A CHANCE.

Spider-man is cool and all, but it has quite a few things going against it:

1. It's not the greatest comic book icon (that would be Superman).

2. It's not the most popular single character (that would be my personal favorite, Batman).

3. It's not the best selling comic book (that would be X-Men and its related titles).

4. It doesn't have the high-profile PERFECT casting - certainly not at the level of Jack Nicholson's Joker or Patrick Stewart's Xavier.

5. Between the shiny metallic Green Goblin and the fact that the Spider-man costume covers the ENTIRE body (including the all-important eyes), it may be difficult for the action scenes to be emotionally compelling or even look real.

6. It's rated PG-13. That fact doesn't curse all movies (Titanic, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings), but it makes the film's job THAT much harder.

Beyond all that, Attack of the Clones appears to be AT LEAST as good as The Phantom Menace, perhaps much, much better.

(I personally really liked TPM, but even I admit that there's a lot of room to improve.)

Spider-Man will be lucky to make $200 million; Attack of the Clones will probably make at least TWICE AS MUCH. It won't even be close.
  2. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    With no fast food prom and less hype, and EW have Spiderman on it cover and not Star Wars, it seem that everybody is againts George Lucas.

Well, the less promotion is simply Lucas's decision, an effort to avoid the hype-induced burnout and to save face from another disappointing promotional blitz.

THAT SAID, sure, Spidey's on the cover of Entertain Me Weakly and TV Guide, but it is also being released nearly two full weeks before AOTC. Star Wars will have its covers, too.

And, even so, YODA'S ON THE COVER OF TIME.

Beat that, Spidey. :D
  3. BigBossNass1138 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Bubba_the_Genius said: YODA'S ON THE COVER OF TIME. Beat that, Spidey.

Hell yeah! Yoda for being of the century!!

FluukeStarbucker said: When the Episode II toys came out last Tuesday, I went to go check them out at Toys R Us at lunch. There were 6 of us in our late 20's to early 30's standing there, feeling like a little kid again. That's what it's all about.

Couldn't agree with you more. That's the magic of Star Wars, folks.
  4. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey Bubbu, I agree with you about Star Wars being at a higher level, box office wise, than comic book movies but I wouldn't underestimate the web-head. And your comments about Spiderman having his odds stacked up against him are contradictory.

1. It's not the greatest comic book icon (that would be Superman). No one said Spiderman was. He may not be the most popular comic book hero of them all but he sure is the greatest single "Marvel" comic book hero. Batman is considered the second best comic book hero ever and his box-office numbers were higher than Superman's. How do you explain that? Being the greatest doesn't always equate high box office.

2. It's not the most popular single character (that would be my personal favorite, Batman). That's your opinion. Again Batman is great for DC, but Spidey is greatest for Marvel.

3. It's not the best selling comic book (that would be X-Men and its related titles). And after that it's Spiderman.

4. It doesn't have the high-profile PERFECT casting - certainly not at the level of Jack Nicholson's Joker or Patrick Stewart's Xavier. Oh like if Star Wars actor's have always been high profile actors. Most of it's actors were unknowns until they worked on SW.

5. Between the shiny metallic Green Goblin and the fact that the Spider-man costume covers the ENTIRE body (including the all-important eyes), it may be difficult for the action scenes to be emotionally compelling or even look real. Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Storm Trooper and Clones Troopers anyone? I'm pretty sure all these guys wore masks and were part of some kind of action in the SW universe. It looked pretty good to me, specially those "emotionally compelling" lightsaber duels between Luke and Vader.

6. It's rated PG-13. That fact doesn't curse all movies (Titanic, Jurassic Park, Lord of the Rings), but it makes the film's job THAT much harder. Hmmmm... The Rookie was a PG effort, it sure as hell didn't reach the unthinkable heights of SW box office. Now if it was an R movie than that would most definitely hurt it's money making capabilities, PG13 ain't nothing.

Look all I'm trying to say is, don't count Spiderman out yet just because it's a comic book movie. Spidey's popularity might be bigger than you think. ;) 200 million? I say over 250 million. :D
  5. DeltaJedi Jedi Master

star 1
    Just a simple point, but "The Rookie" was rated "G" (not like it matters).

I will say this about Spider Man, though. I'm coming at this from the background of someone who never really got into comic books, so bear with me.

X-Men was a movie I was psyched up about seeing. I'd seen something of the cartoon show back in the day, and I instantly bought into the credibility of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, and Patrick Stewart as Xavier (the perfect casting choice for the role). Having Ian McKellen on there was gravy, being the incredible actor that he is.

Spider Man, on the other hand, just looks dorky. The kid playing Spider Man looks like a real dweeb (not someone I'd expect to be out saving the world), and the effect work just hasn't blown me away yet.

I honestly don't believe Spider Man will break $150 million in it's release.

-Matt "The Stampede"
  6. BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus

star 6
    What the hell does it matter? They will both be good movies, and so will TTT. Why not just enjoy all 3 for what they are? Why does one HAVE to beat the others? I hope they all makes loads of money, and I know they all will.
  7. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    I say that we should just wait and see. You can just never tell what a film will be like until you see it... For the real fans of Star Wars (like me) nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will replace my love for the Star Wars franchise. However there are more good movies out there then Star Wars. Spiderman will have to earn it's due like every other movie out there. We'll just have to wait and see.
  8. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    DeltaJedi, I'm going to give you some slack because your obviously not familiar with Spiderman's origin. Peter Parker, a.k.a. Spiderman, was a total dweeb before he became Spiderman, thus the director's genius in casting Tobey Maguire. So in a way it's good that you noticed that he's a geek, it's part of his character. :D

Btw, I sure did get my facts wrong, the Rookie was indeed a "G" rated movie, not "PG". :p
  9. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    Darth_Xero, my comments were NOT contradictory:

No one said Spiderman was. He may not be the most popular comic book hero of them all but he sure is the greatest single "Marvel" comic book hero. Batman is considered the second best comic book hero ever and his box-office numbers were higher than Superman's. How do you explain that? Being the greatest doesn't always equate high box office.

The fact remains, the status of Superman as a cross-cultural icon didn't help it achieve Star Wars-level numbers. The reality that Spider-Man isn't even an icon of the same level makes THAT movie's job that much harder.

That's your opinion. Again Batman is great for DC, but Spidey is greatest for Marvel.

No, it isn't. A few years ago, DC branded its Batman titles with a very simple claim: VOTED THE CENTURY'S MOST POPULAR COMICS CHARACTER. (Click here for a sample image.) I'm not sure what poll was used, but I'm certainly not just basing my assertion on my own opinion.

And after that it's Spiderman.

Again, I'm not debating that Spiderman is VERY popular. But even the BETTER SELLING X-Men didn't crack the $200 million mark. The fact that Spider-Man sells fewer comic books makes the film's job EVEN harder.

Oh like if Star Wars actor's have always been high profile actors. Most of it's actors were unknowns until they worked on SW.

I'm not suggesting that perfect casting involving big-name stars were necessary for Star Wars. I'm saying that Batman and X-Men DID have that kind of casting, it DID help, but it STILL wasn't enough for those comic book films to reach the heights of Star Wars. Spider-Man simply DOESN'T have that obviously perfect cast, and that's YET ANOTHER obstacle.

But since you ARE suggesting that the Star Wars actors were "unknowns" before they worked on Star Wars...

- Alec Guiness (Doctor Zhivago, Bridge on the River Kwai)
    - Peter Cushing (a hundred cult classic horror films)
    - Liam Neeson (Schindler's List)
    - Ewan McGregor (Trainspotting)
    - Natalie Portman (The Professional)
    - Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction, Shaft)

Darth Vader, Boba Fett, Jango Fett, Storm Trooper and Clones Troopers anyone? I'm pretty sure all these guys wore masks and were part of some kind of action in the SW universe. It looked pretty good to me, specially those "emotionally compelling" lightsaber duels between Luke and Vader.

And how many times was LUKE'S face covered? You mention Vader and the Fetts, and I remind you: Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Anakin, Luke. In particular, you SAW Obi-Wan's anger towards Maul, you SAW that it actually was McGregor and Neeson fighting the Sith Lord. And, you SAW Luke's fear in Empire and his rage in Jedi. Even in the comic book movies, you SAW all of Superman's face, all of Wolverine's face, and Batman's striking eyes. With Spider-man? NOTHING can be seen, and that will hurt the realism of the action scenes far more than people predict.

Hmmmm... The Rookie was a PG effort, it sure as hell didn't reach the unthinkable heights of SW box office. Now if it was an R movie than that would most definitely hurt it's money making capabilities, PG13 ain't nothing.

Bringing up The Rookie is just silly. I'm not saying "most kid-friendly movies do well." I'm saying, "most movies that do well are kid-friendly." BIG DIFFERENCE.

(Don't believe me? Try these two sentences: All U.S. Presidents have been white males. All white males have been U.S. Presidents. See the difference?)

(Also, look at the IMDB list. Of the 18 films that did better than Batman, over HALF were aimed at kids: the 4 Star Wars films, E.T., Harry Potter, the Lion King, Home Alone, Shrek, the Grinch, and Monsters Inc.)

There are plenty of six-year-olds who would love to see a comic book character as joyful as Spider-Man or Superman (rather than "dark" heroes like Batman, Spawn, and Blade). But the PG-13 rating WILL dissuade some parents from letting the kid see the movie. PG-13 "
  10. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    Yo Bubba, I can see your the kind that likes to argue all day with statistics and assumptions so I'm not going to waste my time on that. The simple fact is Spiderman is going to be huge, for sure not Star Wars huge but it is going to be huge never the less. As a comic book fan and a Star Wars fan I hope both of them do well. :)

Btw, Spiderman and the Green Goblin don't wear mask all day, they have their alter-ego's. :D Oh and if your worried that they can't show facial expressions under their masks, don't, there's a thing called body language that's comes pretty handy in those cases. David Prouse did it, so can Tobey Maguire. ;)
  11. Vezner Force Ghost

star 5
    Bubba makes some excellent points. I am totally won over. Darth...you give in too easily.
  12. justin_sith Jedi Knight

star 1
    AS CBjedi said I think the greatest competition in box office terms is going to come from the next harry potter movie. I remeber back before HP and LOTR were released alot of people were going on about how much LOTR would make, and sure LOTR did well but HP has gone onto become the 2nd biggest film off all time, not bad considering many on this board said it would make $400 mil tops worldwide. I be suprised if AOTC can top HP in the box office stakes.
  13. Kiki-Gonn Chosen One

star 6
    I predict AOTC will handily beat SM and HP (and LOTR for that matter) in the good ol' USA.
    HP and LOTR could beat it internationally, depends on how the whole sequel anticipation thing plays out, but especially AOTC's word of mouth. Just my guess.

14. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    Yo Bubba, I can see your the kind that likes to argue all day with statistics and assumptions so I'm not going to waste my time on that.

I like to argue? Who, me? Moi? :D

Returning to the discussion...

Btw, Spiderman and the Green Goblin don't wear mask all day, they have their alter-ego's. :D Oh and if your worried that they can't show facial expressions under their masks, don't, there's a thing called body language that's comes pretty handy in those cases. David Prouse did it, so can Tobey Maguire. ;)

...assuming Tobey McGuire's actually the one in the mask at the time of the biggest action sequences. (Seriously, the vast majority of the shots in the trailor look like a CG Spidey is being used.)

Secret identities notwithstanding, my point, really, goes down to the high-energy action sequences. Moviemakers tend to use wideshots, stuntment, trick photography, and special effects to pull off their difficult sequences, but two CLASSIC exceptions come to mind:

1) Raiders of the Lost Ark: Indy's being pulled along the ground by the Nazi truck. They go to a close up, and you can tell without a doubt that it's actually Harrison Ford taking the punishment.

2) The Phantom Menace: The final part of the lightsaber duel actually had Ewan McGregor fighting the stuntman Ray Park. The shots were tight enough to see his face but wide enough to see his mad skilz.

At the very least, having the actor do the stuntwork gives the director more freedom in getting close in on the action, generally resulting in a better sequence. Seeing the main hero's face makes the shots more emotionally engaging. And for the cynics who think that everything in movies is faked, seeing the actor in the midst of the action re-establishes the "realism" of what you're seeing.

(And if the action figures are any indication, there's apparently a sequence where Spidey's facemask is half torn off, which may be a response to this problem. And, just to be sure, I'm not criticizing Raimi for using the traditional Spider-Man costume; it's just a problem inherent in using the costume in a film, a problem that one should try to overcome.)

As for justin_sith's prediction about Harry Potter versus Star Wars, I READILY admit the contest is too close to call. But, were I betting man, I'd put my money on Star Wars.

(You say Harry Potter is #2 all-time, which is true in worldwide figures, so I'll switch to that list.)

At the moment, Harry Potter is #2, but guess who's #3? The Phantom Menace, and not by much:

1. $1,835M - Titanic (1997)
    2. $958M - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
    3. $922M - Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)
    4. $920M - Jurassic Park (1993)
    5. $823M - Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Harry Potter had just as much hype as Star Wars, a comparably fanatical fanbase, and much better reviews, and it has only BARELY surpassed The Phantom Menace.

The way I see things, Star Wars is climbing back to the top with what looks to be a REMARKABLE movie. Harry Potter - which simply doesn't have the breadth of a fanbase, certainly not as many teenage and college-age boys - is also irrecovably reliant on what has proven to be the very fickle market of grade-school children. (It wasn't TOO long ago that Pokemon was the end-all of toys, and now, it's just sitting on the shelves.) I can easily imagine Harry Potter 2 doing as good as the first movie, but I can also see AOTC doing much, MUCH better than TPM.

My predictions?

Chamber of Secrets: $950 million worldwide
    Attack of the Clones: $1200 million worldwide AT LEAST

(If AOTC really connects with the audience, if its combination of action, romance, and tragedy appeals to pretty much everyone, we COULD be looking at Titanic numbers.)

Heh, heh, heh.
  15. Darth_Darren Jedi Knight

Titanic numbers???!!!??! Are you crazy? It's not even going to outgross TPM!

The reason Titanic make so much money was because of all the little girls that saw it tenty times because of Leo. Now, I'm sure there will be planty of SW fans that go see AOTC twenty times, but, let me assure you that the number of SW nuts pales in comparison to the power of 100 million little girls who have a crush a heart throb.

(Then again, Hayden is sorta dreamy....)
  16. Padmes_Pimp Jedi Youngling

NOW you've gone too far! NOW you've done it! (I'm too lazy to go to the first page and find the name of hte poster lol) comparing Spider-Man to NSync as analogy... I SHALL SMITE YOU! HOW DAREST THOU! THAT WASN'T FUNNY!!!

To me, its more like Star Wars = Beatles, Spider-Man = U2. that sounds about right. :)

I've been a huge fan of Spidey for years. Of course it wont beat AOTC gross but that doesn't amtter. I think it will be a HUGE success... and people are underestimating it. Looking at numbers about best selling comic book...hell for a period Spawn was selling like hotcakes. Behind Superman/Batman he IS the most popular superhero in teh general populace. Even more than the X-Men tho they did sell more comics. I think Spider-Man has an added advantage in teh fact that the hero is someone easily relatable to, every day down to earth guy who has to deal with things like bullies, classes, impressing girls, along with stopping superheros.

I don't see the need to try to bring Spidey down to show your support for AOTC. After all, you certainly don't/wouldn't like it when someone does the same to SW (whether its comparing it to spidey, lotr, matrix, et all)
  17. Queenie Amidala Force Ghost

star 5
    Well, I'm glad to see that the ridiculous analogy is all that people read out of my post.

Folks, it was meant as a hyperbole. My intention was not to portray a true comparison between SW and Spidey as The Beatles and *NSYNC. It was used for emphasis.

That being said...what some are saying about TPM's hype power and length of time between the films, that may be true. I honestly don't know if AOTC will make more or less than TPM did. It can easily be argued both ways, and I suppose only time will tell. I, of course, hope that people word will spread about AOTC redeeming (in the eyes of those who disliked TPM) Episode I and generating a better box office report.
  18. Darth_Padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    Personally, I don't think Spiderman will be as huge a hit as everyone is proclaiming. I feel the "bangwagon" momentum gaining especially with the "Anti-Star Wars" crowd jumping onboard hoping Spiderman cause cause a chink in SW armor. Not gonna happen. I think the CG in Spiderman is cheesy, but that's me. I am not a big Spiderman or Marvel fan anyways, I prefer Batman/Superman anyday. It is getting all the hype right now, because it comes out before AOTC and some critics are staying away from commenting on AOTC until they see it, they don't wanna go out on a limb again like the did for TPM.

Spiderman will have a tremendous opening weekend (which most films like this do), and a great 2nd weekend. It may even set records, but that's all its going to do. AOTC will topple it in its third week without a problem and depending on how well received AOTC is will depend on if Spiderman can make a comeback. If AOTC sucks, then Spiderman can and possibly will reclaim #1 in its fourth week. BUT if AOTC is as good as people say, then the Spider will be squashed.

As for LOTR and HP:CoS, I see a few things happening. First, neither film will beat out AOTC in the USA since their predesessors failed to do so, but does that really matter? They will destroy AOTC internationally. From what I hear from my HP friends, the CoS is the least favorite of all the HP books, so it may not even do as well as the first one. TT on the other hand, will most likely do the same as FOTR.

All of this year's movies are going to be great. It is ludicrous it sit here and say that AOTC will be better than Spiderman since afterall, this is a SW FORUM!! That should be expected. I am sure over in the Spiderman forums they are doing the same thing. Why don't we wait and have this conversation in December when all the participants have been seen?

Then we'll see that Clones do rule over spiders, Hobbits, and magic.
    :)
  19. Darth23 Jedi Master

star 4
    The media loves battles - if Spiderman has big opening numbers (and it will), then the 'battle' hype will probably intensify - which will probably add to AOTC's opening totals.

In my opinion a huge Spiderman opening will be a indication of a huge AOTC opening 2 weeks later. Loot at the Harry Potter vs LOTR stuff that was going around. In the end both movies made $300 million.

I think Spidey will perform in the X-men - Batman 1 range ($175-$250 million) while AOTC will perform in the TPM range ($400 million).

For critics - well movie reviewers, anyway -
    Spiderman has the edge. A lot of critics didn't like TPM but it still made over $400 million - I think this fact will mean that a good third of the critics out there will automatically give AOTC a bad review as well. Bad acting, no plot, all special effects, bad writing, bad direction - I think a lot of the reviews are already written. They COULD to what some have already done - say it's much better than TPM and give Ep 2 their approval - and I'm sure there will be some review like that.

Spiderman doesn't really come in with the same baggage as Star Wars does. The real issue is whether or not the reviewers will be open enough to give a 'comic book movie' a fair chance.

Another challange for AOTC is the middle Episode syndrome. ESB gorssed loss that any other Star Wars movie partly because it didnt' really have an ending (imo) - it'just stops. When you're looking at a three year wait for the conclusion, a hanging ending isn't really something you want to see over and over again. If AOTC ends like this then that will hurt it's totals - I still think it would hit the $350 million range though.

20. Darth_Padme Jedi Knight

star 1
    I agree. Imagine what TPM would have made had people "liked" it. It may have toppled Titanic.
  21. Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master

star 4
    no i don't think so titanic was a "date" movie every girl dragged there boyfriends to it thats where it made its money same with harry potter for every younger kid that paid the parent that drove them there had to get a ticket too.

tpm could have had bigger numbers but titanic had the right conditions the year sucked for movies titanic had leo (hes so dreamy lol) and it was in theaters for a year, I think if word spreads after aotc opens this one could be a real contender it has more apeal for both guys and girls now.

but i am in geek heaven (lotr, star wars, spider-man, mib2, all the other comic movies coming out, signs, its realy nice to see that fantasy movies are the big boys and not the crying wussy oscar winners hehehhe.

22. Darth_Xero Jedi Master

star 1
    All my comments boil down to Padme_Pimp's wonderful quote: "I don't see the need to try to bring Spidey down to show your support for AOTC. After all, you certainly don't/wouldn't like it when someone does the same to SW (whether its comparing it to spidey, lotr, matrix, et all)"

That's how I feel pretty much. Sure we're all Star Wars fans here but some of us are also comic book fans and we don't appreciate people bringing down Spiderman just because it's box office competition. They both will be great sci-fi films, embrace them. :)
  23. Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Master

star 4
    No doubt, Spidey's cool. Batman's still my favorite character - being an icon of dark vengeance and a more mature characterization of obsession - but Spiderman's cool. The movie's also focusing on just ONE superhero, so it may be better than its Marvel predecessor, X-Men.

I'm simply discussing its likely gross at the box office. Large revenue is NOT an indication that a movie's good (see also: Titanic), and small revenue doesn't mean a movie's bad (I don't think either Moulin Rouge or the Shawshank Redemption broke the $100 million mark).

I'm just trying to be a bucket of icy cold realism to those who think Spidey will make more money than Attack of the Clones.
  24. Darth23 Jedi Master

star 4
    More people live ESB that love ROTJ, yet ROTJ made more money - it terms of adjusted gross ANH is way out in fron and all the sequels are mostly in the same ballpark (depending on who's chart you use).

There's no way the 4th movie in a series could capture the public's imagination the way the first one did. After TPM opened, 11 $100 million grossing movies opened in the next 12 weeks, beatign Titanic would have been almost impossible, I think.

TPM performed basically like a summer blockbuster - actually like a 'mega' summer blockbuster - the numbers were higher but the pattern was the same. Titanic performed like no movie in recent history. Lucas' comment in the DVD is correct, I think - any movie that beats Titanic will have to be a cultural phenomenon like ANH, or E.T. And it will be somethign that can't be predicted

None of the Star Wars movies will do it, and I don't think and Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter sequels will do it either.
  25. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    There's a brief review on TF.N main page.

It's positive. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.