main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hollywood Star, Media are picking Spiderman over AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_X, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    JkP, What review?

2. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
  3. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Once AOTC destroys SpiderGack at the box office, those same press people will say that they picked SW all along.

4. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    I don't care if ATOC beats Spider-man at the box office. I just care that ATOC is a great movie. Thats all that truly matters.
    :D

I hope Spider-man is a good movie too. ;)

5. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Right on MattRags! :D

6. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    As much as I'm looking forward to Spiderman and as much as I like Sam Raimi, all this stuff I'm hearing about Spiderman looking better than AotC is driving me freakin' crazy!!!

Did you see that MTV.com story?

Better romance: Spidey, better heartthrob: Spidey. Come on!

Spidey is equal to AotC for action? How can theyu be serious? Did they see the part in the trailer whith twelve million Clones! And the countless Jedi shooting fireballs from their eyes and lightning from their arses!

Willem Defoe as the Green Goblin is a better villian than Sidious, Dooku or Jango?...only COMBINED do they beat him??? WTF is up with that?

I think the unspoken message is "Star Wars is lame. Did you see that last one with that retarded racist frog guy? What a piece of crap. Spiderman is cool, Star Wars is way too kiddsie"

I definitely sense that there's a bit of a media bias against Star Wars these days. :mad:

7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    The media is so damn stupid.

Here's what I said in another thread:

"i think Columbia pictures made an error releasing Spiderman before AOTC, a really bad error"

Exactly right.
    All recent major blockbusters (Harry Potter, LOTR and any other non-SW movie you want to look at) make about $20 M flat by the third weekend.

That's not enough to hurt AOTC's opening take at all but AOTC's gigantic opening take will probably hurt SM. Also, many theaters will take screens (the big, marquee ones) from SM and give them to AOTC becasue at that week, they'd make more with SW.
    No other big movies come out after SW for a whole month. So...

SM has two weeks to run free at the box office while SW gets a month.

8. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Of course, what else could Sony/Columbia do, really? You couldn't release it in the month after SW, because it'd never get the coveted #1 spot, even for a week. They can't wait until later in summer, because they have other 'summer hit' style movies coming out then, and there's nothing worse than having two of your own movies competing against each other (you make less money cos you're cannibalizing your own films!).

Earlier? You really can't release a 'summer blockbuster' style movie any earlier than May. It just won't do as well. Has a lot to do with the age of the average movie-goer and their freetime, of course.

Sony was kinda stuck with what they got, and they just sort of have to hope for a soft opening for SW. Won't happen, but it's better than trying to open in the first couple of weeks after AotC!

9. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Even TPM, HP & LOTR only made like $20 M in their third weekend.
    The SM premiere would definitely beat that so it could have garnered the #1 spot and looked like it had taken SW's thunder (that's how the media would have played it).
    IMHO, that would have been the smarter move but there were also good reasons for going before SW like you said.

10. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    This is from an article at Foxnews.com:

In fact, Columbia Pictures should be congratulating itself. By getting Spider-Man out to theaters before Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, the Sony-owned studio will be cashing in to the tune of millions before George Lucas steamrolls over them.

"...steamrolls over them." [face_laugh]

11. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    That's great that Spiderman is getting good praise but why should this affect AotC box office? This is the way I see it, there are three kinds of fans, SW fans, Spidey fans and sci-fi fans that love SW and Spiderman. Sci-fi fans will see both movies multiple times so it's a win, win situation. AotC is definitely "NOT" in trouble.

How ironic is this? You have SW fans here eager to trash Spiderman just because they want to show support for their scared saga, but they are the same people that critisize the media, like mtv, for doing the same in reverse, Spiderman over Star Wars. :D

Anyways, I'm going to see Spiderman twice this weekend and I know all of you are too. ;) And on the weekend of May 16th, I think I will see AotC like 3 or 4. :D It's all good baby!

12. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    SPiderman will afffect its own box office - if it drops 50% after week 1, it will have a tough time agains Star Wars and the other movies coming - if it's drops are in the 40's oe even 30's than it should hold up fairly well.

Not that it will BEAT AOTC or anything.

Episode 1 was 'critic proof' - it had a big opening and good staying power despite mixed reactions from the reviewers - I think the general public at large wants to see Episode 2 as well - despite what the critics might say. A lot of its audience are kids and families, and a lot want to see Star Wars for the cool action sequences - which even most TPM critics admit were something to see in Episode 1.

13. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    I doubt Spiderman will drop 50% the following week. There are way to many positive reviews from crtics and "FANS" for it to drop that much. Although, AtoC Weekend is another story. :D

14. Padawan-kirky

Padawan-kirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    im sorry for people who like spiderman but itll be rubbish one of the earliest posts some1 said theyre building it up and its just guna get ripped back down welli think ur right personnally im not guna see it!i like batman but spiderman ummm No!!too stupid for me!STAR WARS is all that matters its good theyre nit boasting it badly but u watch itl be a huge successs aotc!!AWESOME and breathtaking are the obnly words i can describe AOTC i know i wont be dissappointed ..i love starwas i takeit 4 wat it is ever since i watched it wen i was 5!!
    Its star wars people have faith!!itll top everyhting..hopefully including Titanic pff titanic! then WE'LL BE NUMBER 1!!:)

15. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    Well, my mind is at ease after last night, when I saw Spiderman. I'll admit, it was pretty damn good, and will probably make a ton of money this weekend, but ain't nearly as big a movie as any Star Wars movie. And now that more reviews are hitting the net (mostly positive, and one from a fellow TPM hater), my mind is relaxing.

Go see Spidey, it's a pretty good movie, and just wait till people get a glimpse of AOTC. It's gonna blow Spiderman away.

16. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    Here is the perfect sentence about Spider Man from the Village Voice review...

"this long-awaited future franchise is a competent seat-warmer at the box-office table for the two weekends preceding George Lucas's Attack of the Clones."

LOL!

17. space-n-vader

space-n-vader Jedi Youngling

Feb 27, 2002
    I don't understand what's up with pitting these 2 films together. You can't compare the good(spiderman) with the great. I could understand Lotr vs SW .. but not this.
    Maybe GL just doesn't want to overhype like he did with TPM. Overhyping is bad- I've alredy heard reviews that say Spidey doesn't live up to expectations. AOTC has no hype to live up to - it just has to be better than TPM. And reviews say its MUCH better.
    Spiderman will have its 2 weeks, but that's it.

18. Vermano

Vermano Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 1999
    If you haven't noticed, for the last 25 years, just about every sci-fi/fantasy big budget movie has been hyped by the media as "the next Star Wars." Dune, LOTR, Independence Day, Godzilla, XMen, Batman, LOTR, Harry Potter, Star Gate, The Matrix, even Starship Friggin' Troopers! Add Spidey to the long list. There simply is no "NEXT STAR WARS", despite movie studios wishes. This is a timeless story that people will continue to enjoy for centuries to come, just like the Odyssey, or King Arthur. It's our legend, and they don't come along too often.

19. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Don't forget about the 5th element. It was supposed to be better than Star Wars. I think at the time everyone wanted to compare anything remotely big-budget and set in anything fantasy related to Star Wars. It was just done so that Star Wars fans would come out and see the film to bash on it. Hollywood is really corny that way, doing anything to sell a few tickets and make that dollar!

Speaking of Media picks, does anyone else get tired of the way the media handles films? I mean they treat everything like a flavor of the week (which in many cases is true) and oftentimes they don't review it and just read off it's little blurb while showing clips like some kind of mini-trailer. The talk shows interview the main stars of these films and talk about inane crap and show a clip then off they go. One week they'll be all about one film then next week you never hear another word about it.

Then comes November-December when all the films with overly dramatic and romantic story arcs come out and of course, they all have "oscar buzz". Then the new year starts and all the oscar buzzed films get strained out to the one that got the most buzz and it wins "oscar gold" and other such inane catch phrases.

After that all the films go back to being flavors of the week and the media personalites have to wait until next November-December to whip out all the catch phrases they used the year before.

It makes me sick. I don't go and see but maybe one movie a year and that's exactly why. Does anyone else feel this way?

20. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Hey Bubba, your whole argument and box office analysis has been proven wrong in one day. 41 million in one day! Spiderman is expected to break all box-office numbers for a 3 day weekend, ever. This movie will make tons of money, possibly over 300 million. Not bad for a comic book movie, with an unpopular character. ;) You guys underestimated Spidey and now he's laughing all the way to the bank. :D Sure the hype help but it was the critical and fan reviews that won over the American public! You go Spidey!

Hype is either a good thing or a bad thing. In the case of the Phantom Menace it was a bad thing, specially since most critiques and fans slammed it which made it more painful. Spidey's hype, as big as it is, was an extra bonus. People are going in expecting a good movie and they're getting it. AtoC will also get the same Spidey treatment since it too is getting amazingly positive reviews so it's hype will also be it's bonus. And since AotC is considered a legend, it will make at least twice as much as Spidey. It's all good.

I'm glad Spiderman and AotC are getting great reviews and hype, that means, comes this November, I will be adding 2 more great DVD's to my collection! :D

21. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    Sure the hype help but it was the critical and fan reviews that won over the American public! You go Spidey!

Oh, give me a freakin' break! We're talking about the FIRST DAY! The first weekend is ALWAYS exactly equal to the hype.

And the reviews for Spidey were luke warm. "Good, but not great" is the jist of about 90% of them.

22. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    I think what the majority of us are just kinda sick of is Star Wars being blown off as yesterdays news by a continuing stream of other fans. It grates on the nerves after a while...the whole "Lord of the Rings: greatest trilogy ever" crap, before 2 of the 3 movies have even been seen...and now all this Spider-Man buzz...

I liked Spider-Man quite a bit...good little comic book movie with more then it's fair share of cheesiness that got overlooked in a number of reviews. Plus the Macho Man, I mean...come on, that guy was the MAN when I was growing up!

But, as a lifelong Star Wars fan, who is pretty dang sick of putting up with all the post-TPM crap, NOTHING would make me happier then AotC getting 4 star reviews, making 500 million at the box office, and getting people excited about the Galaxy Far Far Away again.

I'd say Oscar buzz too, but that'd take more then Jedi Mind Trick, I'm guessing... ;)

23. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    I'll find Spiderman interesting, because here in Australia, it'll hit the screens two weeks later than AOTC.

24. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Same, though I thought it was more than two weeks. I must admit though, I haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to it, my mind's been on another movie. ;)

25. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    I wouldn't say Spiderman has gotten lukewarm reviews. It's gotten pretty good reviews from all the stuff I've read about it, and I haven't read or seen a bad review yet. Pretty much all the critics say it's a good, fun movie to go see this summer. Which translates to "normal" people liking it that much more, since they don't have as high standards as movie critics.

AOTC better get some good reviews. I don't think the general public will stand for another "bad" Star Wars movie. The sentiment that I get from most people is that no one cares anymore about Star Wars. I mean, in the theater, no one really cared about any of the trailers (no one was sitting there saying "ooh, I've got to see that one), but people were practically cheering when they saw the Siderman trailers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.