main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hollywood Star, Media are picking Spiderman over AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_X, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EwanM

EwanM Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    General Public will love Star Wars again.

I found this at other thread (thanks for them to brought it here)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/tv_film/newsid_1969000/1969286.stm
    By Mandy Bhandal
    CBBC Newsround Online

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (I edited out some plot-line ,you can see whole review there)

Only about a hundred people have seen this film so far - and I am one of them.

I watched the film at the Skywalker Ranch in America - the place where much of it was put together.

This is going to be the most talked about movie of the year, and rightly so!
    After this movie there is only one more film left to complete the six-part Star Wars saga.

It helps to have seen the other films because it's useful linking all the plots together, but it's not completely necessary because you'll be blown away by this film anyway - I certainly was!

Action packed

The visual effects are amazing - each scene looks like a future world beyond your imagination. The movie is action-packed. Lots of fancy light sabre moves, plenty of fast racing and hundreds of fearsome alien beasts.

As for the soundtrack - it makes you jump out of your seat and sets the hair on the back of your neck tingling.

There are some funny and romantic moments, but Star Wars is a serious film about space fantasy, battles and heroes.

But it's worth watching because you walk away feeling like you've had the adventure of your life!

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones is out in the UK on 16 May.

2. Let_the_Wookiee_Win

Let_the_Wookiee_Win Jedi Youngling

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm not interested in the numbers. All I know is that so far we have 5 SW movies and 1 more to go. The SW saga spans generations and no other movie can or will ever top that. Not many other movies will make you feel like a kid again or build up so much excitement as Star Wars does. No matter what the #'s will show opening day, in the end SW will always be the real winner. And the people who don't *get* that - well, I feel sorry for them b/c they're missing out. But it's their choice and that's ok. I'm sure there are people out there that choose Spiderman over SW, but there's really no comparison b/c like others have been saying, SW spans generations and there's nothing else out there like it. Lucas himself has changed the movie industry for the future! What a creative genius he is!!

3. unwinded

unwinded Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    Spiderman just made $114 Million for its three-day opening weekend. In the long run I'm sure that AOTC will beat Spidey, but it will be tough to top those opening numbers. Especially considering AOTC opens on a Thursday. I liked Spiderman, but not in the same way as I like Star Wars. It's in a different league. Compared to other comic-film adations, I prefer Batman. And I like the Star Wars flicks better than Batman (even EpI). But Spidey is cool, definitely better than X-Men. And I'm a big Raimi fan, too.

4. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Now that SM has opened, expect all eyes of the media to be on AOTC. With the almost universally positive reviews coming out, hype for AOTC should really pick up in the coming two weeks.

5. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    If you want a good gross you don't really need a good opening (but is usefull) but you need fans and ppl alike to come back and back. And that's something Star Wars is good in. Movies with over $300.000.000 means that ppl come back. That's what's important! And since reviews are claiming this movie will blow your socks off - and other stuff - as TesB once did (and still does :)) what can go wrong? We should have faith in GL

6. unwinded

unwinded Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 2002
    What could go wrong? As unlikely as it is, what if all these reviewer just don't see the thing the way I do? That's happened to me many times. It would really, really suck if it happened with a Star Wars flick, but you just don't know. I have great faith in AOTC, though. Spidey was good, but I like the Phantom Menace better. And Phantom Menace was very disappointing for me. So even if AOTC was only a smidget better than Phantom Menace, it would still be better than Spiderman. To me at least.

7. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    For a long time I've been saying that I don't think AotC will make as much as TPM, but I have to say I've changed my mind.

I don't know what ticket prices are in the US, but here (in Canada) they were $9 for an evening show in the summer of '99 and now it's $13.50! They've gone up 50% (here anyway).

With that much inflation it would be hard for AotC to not outperform TPM. And remember TPM did hold it's three-day-weekend and single-day records for over two years (roughly) while ticket prices were on the rise.

I don't think AotC will beat 45 mil for a single day or 114 for a three day weekend, but on the other hand I wouldn't be suprised if there was a 70% decrease in Spideys numbers next weekend.

8. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    You know, QuiGon makes a very good point. I was thinking about that, as well. I don't remember the actual ticket price of my TPM ticket (I could dig it out and look at the stub), but I know that it was much less than the price of $7.50 of my AOTC ticket. I know it cost absolutely no more than $5.50, and I believe it was even less than that. That is at least $2 right there, on one ticket.

9. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    Where do you live where you only pay $7.50?!?!? I gotta get out of this city. $11.50 a ticket!!!

10. Darth_Darren

Darth_Darren Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2002
    How can they say that Spiderman made $114 million this weekend; THE WEEKEND ISN'T OVER YET.

Any way, that's amazing. $40 mil Friday, $45 mil Saturday. That's a huge opening.

But how 'bout a counter topic: How far down (percentage-wise) will Spiderman drop next weekend? 20%? 40%? And how far down do you think it will go once AOTC comes out? How big of a hit do you think it will take considering it's already made a killing, which probably means that most people who were going to see it already have? And who's to say that anyone will go see it again?

11. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

KNIMBLEKNIGHT Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2002
    Darth_Darren - it's called an estimate, and the studios are usually pretty accurate in estimating weekend box office numbers. However, when you're talking about figures as staggering as 114 million, expect for there to be a greater margin of error than usual.

I think S-M has to drop at least 60% next weekend. I can't see it doing more than $50 million, and that seems on the high end. I think AOTC's impending release has served to inflate S-M's opening weekend. Sony designed their distribution/marketing strategy to get the big early numbers because they know what's coming up in less than two weeks. Similarly, I believe than many fans flocked to the theatres this weekend because they need to get this viewing out of the way before the real event movie of the summer hits.

I doubt AOTC will open with as many prints, but who knows. It may not beat S-M's three day total, but AOTC will prevail in the end.

12. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    I don't think anyone is to say that people won't go see it again. However, I believe this weekend has seen the majority (well, obviously) of Spider-man's gross. It seems that everyone went to see Spider-man this weekend...everyone. I have friends who never go to the movies who went to see it. My old, 30-something year old brother ventured out with his wife to see it. These people aren't going to go back.

In that case, let's look at X-Men. At the time, this was proclaimed the best comic book movie adaption to date. People loved it. It made almost $55 million in its first weekend of release. The next weekend, that number had declined almost 50%. The intention, all along, for Spidey was to make as much money as they possibly could within the first two weeks of release. Sony knows good and well that in eleven days, this praise and box office reign is over.

So AOTC won't make $40-45 million in it's opening days, and it won't make $114 mil on its opening, 3-day weekend. Big deal, so what. It's going to take over the box office, and it's going to remain on the throne for a few weeks. Spider-man did well. Everyone knew it would. AOTC could be crap (which it won't be) and it would still make a ton of money. Big opening or not, I won't live to see the day a comic book movie replaces any Star Wars film as a timeless, unforgettable work that people talk about forever.

13. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    Just wanted to expand on why I don't think ATOC will have as big an opening as Spider-Man (but will prevail in the end).

1. I don't think it will have as many screens. Lucasfilm puts pretty rigid demands on theatre owners, and many theatre owners simply can't or don't want to live up to these terms. This happened with TPM. Maybe Lucasfilm will be more reasonable this time, but I still don't see it opening with over 7500 prints.

2. People are AFRAID of Star Wars. When they think about opening weekend, they automatically think about mile long lines and rabid fans. A lot of people will wait until the following week to see AOTC. Not so with Spider-Man or Harry Potter. The truth is, with the amount of theatres these days, it's pretty easy to see a movie on opening weekend without huge lines, even a Star Wars movie, but many people don't see it this way. They still think back to how the lines were for several weeks when ROTJ was released.

14. Padmes_Pimp

Padmes_Pimp Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2001
    Somebody asked who's to say people will see Spider-man again... well I do, since today was my 2nd viewing!

15. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    Boy there sure are alot of jealous SW fan-boys here. Instead of imbracing Spiderman for being an awesome sci-fi flick with an awesome 114 million opening, you choose to attack it fearing it might topple the legendary SW. C'mon give me a break! Stop whining already. Spiderman rules, live with it.

I'm a Spiderman supporter and I'm happy for it's success, but I'm a even bigger SW fan so I hope it does well, which I know it will. Spidey rules and so does Star Wars! "Can't we all just get along"? :p

16. SmackFu4u

SmackFu4u Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    well I just saw SM and I thought X-men was better, overall, **1/2. Where I saw it, noone really got into it. Kinda lame I thought. Anyway, thats my .02

17. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    It's really unfair to compare Spiderman and Star Wars.

One's a massive space epic. The other is a comic book super hero movie. I saw Spidey today and thought it was a very good adaptation. I expect great things from ATOC. :)

18. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    Where do you live where you only pay $7.50?!?!? I gotta get out of this city. $11.50 a ticket!!!

Hehe, here in New Orleans, with a valid Student ID, you can get into see movies at the Palace (now an AMC theater) for $4.50, ANY showing, ANY time.

It's an unbelievable deal.

19. Disco_Dooku

Disco_Dooku Jedi Youngling star 2

May 1, 2002
    Spiderman came out and did exactly what the critics predicted....it rocked. I am not a big SM fan, I lean more towards Batman and Superman, but I liked the film. Some of the CG looked like crap, but that didn't keep me from liking it. It is a good movie, and I'll probably see it again, but that will be it. I saw a packed theater were I went, and I guarantee that not everyone will be repeat viewers. That is what will kill its longevity. $114 is damn impressive, but I don't think AOTC will top that, and here is why:

1. It will be in fewer theaters. SM opened in 3615 theaters, TPM opened in over 2900, that is a lot less. And, unless my theater adds additional viewings, AOTC will only be on one screen, whereas SM and AOTC are/were on 3 screens. That's 1/3 LESS in my area and if that happens across the country AOTC will be on fewer screens.

2. It opens on a Thursday. Not a good movie day.

In the long run, I believe AOTC will end in the #2 slot all-time. TPM made $431 million and not everyone liked it. Now AOTC is supposed to be better, I think that number will rise sharply.

20. KNIMBLEKNIGHT

Mar 8, 2002
    I just read an article where Rick McCallum said the number of prints for AOTC would be in the area of 5000. Spiderman had 7500 prints, and HP was around 8000. So no, I would not think AOTC will beat SM's opening weekend. Lucasfilm is much pickier regarding where they will allow their movies to be shown. Lucas is a strong advocate for the best possible presentation experience for audiences, and I don't think he cares too much about huge opening figures. It's all about who makes the most money at the end of the day. AOTC will have legs and should easily top any other movie released this year in the long run.

21. opinion

opinion Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    ...i just saw spiderman...and coming from someone who practically learned to read through comics...id have to say it didnt quite do it for me...

...xmen was better...blade 2 was better...

...but one thing about spiderman...it looked like a comic book on screen...which kind of brought me back to my younger years...

22. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    Episode 2 will do great no matter what. If it doesn't beat Spiderman in terms of money, if Spiderman goes on to make 8 billion dollars and Attack of the Clones doesn't even come close, will it matter at all? Does how much money a film makes determine it's quality? Do high dollar grosses equal greatness in filmmaking? If that is the case then we should all love Titanic and be on it's boards and not one devoted to this third-rate film saga called Star Wars.

Do you see my logic? Do you see the point? When I heard the news of Spiderman's gross I was bugging out at the raw figure and thinking how amazing that is. If Episode 2 does beat that incredible figure then that is great I guess, but if it doesn't it won't make the film any better or worse. I hope that's true for you guys too.

23. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Boy there sure are alot of jealous SW fan-boys here.

Hey, Xero, we respect your opinion of Star Wars, Spidey, or whatever. It's cool. But, the personal insults don't really do much good. :)

EDIT - Italics

24. Samurai-Yoda

Samurai-Yoda Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Spider-Man was pretty cool but could have been SO much better.

Translation: SM doesnt have a chance against Episode II. Not one single, solitary chance. I saw the Rick McCallum Spectacular the other day at C2, and the footage shown in the 8 minute reel was better than the entire SM movie.

25. LawrenceS

LawrenceS Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 23, 2002
    Here is my thing last year was the worst year for summer movies.

well this year it's starting off great so far. I liked spider man now i can't wait to see AOTC and all the other summer movies that are coming out.

It just looks like a great year for movies and who ever ends up on top money wise hey good for them.
    LSC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.