main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hollywood Star, Media are picking Spiderman over AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Jedi_X, Apr 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Spiderman, albeit a great and longstanding comic, simply does not have the cross-generational appeal and timeless stories as Star Wars does. Star Wars crosses all sorts of lines and draws in a much larger section of the population.

2. Padawan-kirky

Padawan-kirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    $114 m its not too bad!hehe but think about it 2 weeks till it comes out everywhere right aotc even on a thursday (i get it b4 ameraica):p casue im in Aus!hehe itll out do spiddy easy!i meani love batman and xmen not as much as batty but i still ike xmen spiderman seems pusssy and **** to me! gets bittne by a spider and fkps around on a peice of string!mm no batman is better!
    AOTC the 1st w/e will smash spidy!casue once we c the PREMIERE :) word of mouth every1 will c it!!!! Not long guys we'll take back NUMBER 1 on the charts!!!

3. Lan-Ker

Lan-Ker Jedi Youngling

Nov 26, 2001

$114 Million for Spidey's first weekend, yikes!

I know it is just the first weekend but geez and I haven't even seen it yet (I will see it on Friday). Given the fact that last year's summer movies were crap, lots of people have been dying for good blockbuster movies. But, I don't think anyone saw this coming.

So, I guess the question now is, can AOTC possibly pull off that kind of an opening weekend? I say no. There isn't the same kind of buzz in the general public as there was when TPM came out or with Spiderman this year. I have faith with all the good reviews I've seen regarding the movie that the end totals for both films will be close. But, I don't think AOTC can possibly match Spidey's opening weekend.

4. Padawan-kirky

Padawan-kirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    who cares about oening weekend aotc will kill spiderman overall thats all that matters and i reckon aotc will come really close to jkilling or will kill psiddy in the 1st w/e io 3 days or wateva!!!

5. Darth_Xero

Darth_Xero Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2001
    I posted this in another thread but it was closed. Anyways, It's sums up my feelings about all this Spidey vs. SW NONSENSE.

Who the hell is saying that Spiderman is the all time greatest movie?? I know I'm not. Although I do think it is the best comic book movie ever. For a science fiction, summer blockbuster type movie it does it's job and then some, but no it isn't the greatest.

You guys may act like your not jealous but it's pretty obvious with all your comments and insults that SW fans are intimidated by Spidey. It already has broken many box office records and won the hearts of most movie going audiences around the world. It is officially a real SW threat now and that's what scares you. You guys really underestimated the popularity of Spiderman.

As for me, I don't care much about box-office numbers. I'm not making the money so why should I care. But I will admit that it is really important to have a huge block buster in order to produce a sequel, in that case it is important to me. Spiderman success guarantees a sequel and for that I'm happy. Star Wars really doesn't need to be a hit in order for it to produce another sequel because as we all know Lucas is a bazillionaire so I really could give a *bleep* about how much money it made. The only thing I want from a new SW movie is a good quality sci-fi flick worthy of the original trilogy, not the next record breaking box-office hit. I couldn't care less about it's money making chances.

Anyways, I'm not here to pick sides, I love Star Wars and Spiderman both. And for the small percentage here that love SW and Spidey, May the force be with you, true believers.
    ;) :D

6. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    It's all good, really. I want to see Ep2 do better than Spiderman, but they're both good movies...regardless, I'm going to do my bit to make sure Ep2 does well and see it at least 3 times. ;)

7. The Flying Dutchman

The Flying Dutchman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2000
    nice to know: Spidy made $11,035,000 this monday and as a total of $125,879,000

8. Queenie Amidala

Queenie Amidala Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 7, 2000
    I just saw Spidey today. One question: how in the world did this movie make $114 mil in 3 days?!

If I hear anything about Hayden's lines being flat and nothing about Tobey's lack of acting ability, I will be less than thrilled.

The movie was not bad. It was okay. In comparison, I liked X-Men much, much better. Spidey is not a movie that I would return to the theater to see again (and I am a frequent movie viewer repeater).

The CGI was terrible. Terrible. There is no excuse, whatsoever, that anyone can give to explain away scenes looking like cartoons. There is a reason that GL spends three years on SW, and it pays off.

That being said, if I had it to do over again, I would probably go see it in the first place. But this is by no means one of the best movies I have seen in a while.

I'm less than thrilled about the reviews that are coming back for AOTC. In comparison to Spider-man, the AOTC trailers make for a more entertaining time. How Spider-could get such rave reviews and SW is coming back with C+ ratings, I will never, ever understand.

9. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    Queenie Amidala: "How Spider-man could get such rave reviews and SW is coming back with C+ ratings, I will never, ever understand."

You want to know why you can't understand? Because your a one sided Star Wars fan, that's why. Queenie you haven't even see AotC and your already criticizing the critics. They are in a bigger position to comment on it than you. That's another sign of your blind devotion.

Queenie Amidala: "In comparison to Spider-man, the AOTC trailers make for a more entertaining time."

This is an obvious cheap shot. Other than that they're both box-office competators there's really no reason to compare them. Not only do you compare them you insult Spider-man in the process. As a Spiderman fan, I'm offended. Look I respect your opinion but it's the tone and the bashing nature that you choose that's offensive. Grow up.

10. DeltaJedi

DeltaJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2002
    "Not only do you compare them you insult Spider-man in the process."

Hehe...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he's probably not going to mind too much. ;)

11. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Actually, Xero, if you are insulted and offended because I, personally, did not enjoy Spider-man as much as you did, then perhaps it is you who needs to re-evaluate your maturity.

Did you even read the rest of my post? Or did you just see the two times I mentioned AOTC at the end and skip over to that?

My opinion of Spider-man didn't have anything to do with Star Wars. I said it wasn't bad. Moreover, I was comparing it to X-Men.

On the other hand, all I said about AOTC was that I can't imagine how people are saying Spider-man is better than a Star Wars film, any Star Wars film. Star Wars is timeless. It has a story that nothing can compare to. It is fresh and new, and completely original. Even the biggest and best of blockbusters (both the ones we love and hate) won?t be able to take that away. No, I have not seen AOTC, but I have no doubt that I will love it. And even if I do not, that doesn't change my feelings about Spider-man. I just didn't think it was God's gift to movie-going heaven, as so many have pumped it up to be. I didn't say, "I love Star Wars, and because of that, I hate Spider-man." How absurd is that?

True, I would love for AOTC to beat Spider-man at the box office. But that, by no means, changes my opinion of a movie. Believe it or not, I am capable of enjoying a variety of other non-Star Wars films. I did not enjoy Spider-man as much as I was anticipating, simple as that. From what I'd been reading, this was supposed to be one of the best movies in the last decade. I completely did not see this. If you did, Xero, then more power to you. It is your opinion, and most people here, you will find, will respect that. Please attempt to do the same for the rest of us.

12. Darth_Xero

Nov 13, 2001
    What ever Queenie Amidala, your obviously bitter about all the positive reactions, box- office and magazine praise, that's why you bring it up all the time and it drives your crazy because it's not Star Wars. It's funny how you say the film wasn't bad but then you totally trash it after wards.

Here are some of your cheap shot comments:

"how in the world did this movie make $114 mil in 3 days?!"

Well because not everybody in this world are bias and "jealous" Star Wars fans, that's why. There's actually a great number of us Spiderman fans out there. Is it really that impossible for it to make that much money? I thought you said the movie was not bad? Why would that be out of this world for it to make 114 million if it wasn't bad? Most of the general public loved it. If you didn't like it that much than ok that's cool, but don't question the rest of the world's tastes just because it didn't match your tastes.

The CGI was terrible. Terrible. There is no excuse, whatsoever, that anyone can give to explain away scenes looking like cartoons. There is a reason that GL spends three years on SW, and it pays off.

Believe it or not I also was not very happy with some of the cgi work in the film but it's your over the top negative tone that gets me. Man it's looks like you have a real bone to pick here. By the way George doesn't always hit a home run when it comes to cgi effects either, look at the "Mummy" movies and you see what I mean.

"In comparison to Spider-man, the AOTC trailers make for a more entertaining time."

You don't think this comment is pitting Spider-man against Star Wars? Your totally comaparing them here. Not only that your saying that the Aotc trailers are more entertaining than the whole Spider-man movie!? BIAAAAS!!! That's a pretty insane thing to say if you ask me and it shows your bias nature to the fullest.

Nuff said...

13. Queenie Amidala

May 7, 2000
    Xero, the majority of your post is beyond what I have the time and desire to respond to.

I have said that you are entitled to your opinion, and I maintain that. However, it is obvious that you do not have the ability to respect an opinion contrary to your own. That being said and accepted, I have nothing more to add other than a request for you to step back from the ledge of flame before you fall right over. I sincerely do not believe that I am jealous or insane because I simply did not rate a movie as my all-time favorite. Please consider that.

Happy posting!

14. organasolo

organasolo Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2002
    Well well well, this is quite interesting, the fact that we are even dicussing the comparison between "spiderman" and Star wars shows that some of us (ahem ahem) doubt the power of George Lucas. Well I have decided to remind any doubters that hollywood hated GL from the start(most likly because he is better hands down) and face it who cares what the stupid critics think? I mean hello!!! the "critics" trashed TPM and it is only second to the first SW in box ofice billions. AOTC has got a combination of Hayden C. and the love senes for us girls and all the action(not that I don't love action) for the guys! Can you think of anything more masterful???

signeture:
    "fate brought them together but destiny tore them apart"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.