main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Death Penalty - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but since we're talking about the Death Penalty and Jeffery Dahmer is one of the few serial killers to escape Capital Punishment (as Michigan doesn't have the Death Penalty, I figured I'd put this here.

Jeffery Dahmer's prison killer speaks out for the first time.

2. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Oh you ray of sunshine you!

3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    unsurprising death sentence for Tsarnev

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Kind of surprised they didn't take longer to deliberate it.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    If there's anything the U.S. does quickly, it's sentencing a young male minority to death.

6. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    At least they're being consistent.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Though I'm not ethically opposed to the idea of the death penalty, a life sentence (especially in a Federal Supermax prison) isn't that terrible (well, for me... others would disagree :p ) of an alternative, especially concerning Dzhokhar. Why give him what he (very likely) wants, to be a martyr for some folks? We can be such a stupid country sometimes.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    There's something uniquely awful about ADX Florence. I'd rather get the death penalty than be locked up there, especially for Tsarnaev, who's in his early 20's. If he'd gotten life, he could've been there for 50+ years.

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm very conflicted about Tsarnaev getting the death penalty(other than my general feelings for the death penalty). I'm not shocked in the least that it happened, but I don't think he got a fair trial and that upsets me. I'd feel better about it if they had moved the trial outside of MA.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    He may well want this, which is one of the best reasons to deny him the satisfaction.

11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Ok, for now on, anyone infamous enough to commit horrible acts deserves to have their trials in the city they did it in. To claim not a fair trial is ridiculous considering how many victims their was. Sorry but your rights don't mean squat when you hurt so many people. You want a fair trial, tell the truth don't hide behind a not guilty plead and man up. Be a man and tell everyone what you did, why you did it. Then you will get a fair trial. That way everyone can hear your side of the story. But clam up and you get the full punishment of the law. So he dies. A completely fair trial. Of all those conspiracy clowns will say not a fair trial, he deserves more. He is innocent until proven guilty. The law was mean to him.

Thanks to 24 hour news no one can really get a fair trial but oh well.

12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Or we could lock him up for life, in which case he becomes a living cause celebre rather than a dead martyr.

13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I know I'm probably being a masochist here by even attempting to respond to this, but here goes.
    I don't understand how the # of victims relates to the fair trial.
    Except that being accused of a crime doesn't mean your rights go away. In fact, this is probably one of the most important situations regarding your rights.

The plea wasn't just Tsarnaev being defiant. A plea is usually part of a lawyer's strategy to get the best outcome (in this case, the best sentence) for his/her client. It doesn't always work. But it's not at all how you're describing it.

tl;dr: beezel post

mavjade likes this.
  14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Everyone should get a fair trial, period. I don't care what crime you committed, the number of victims is not inversely proportional to your rights. Keeping this trial in MA was a bad decision because while everyone in the US was affected by this, the people of MA more so because it was an attack directly on us, on a huge holiday and day of celebration that pretty much only applies in New England. You shouldn't get to be attacked and then be the deciding factor on if a person lives or dies, you aren't impartial. (Also, having only a pro-death penalty jury skews the jury and since the vast majority of MA residents oppose the death penalty, so it wasn't even a good sampling of MA residents.)

Barbecue17 and SateleNovelist11 like this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Except by being in a Supermax, he'd likely have very few chances of having his name out there in the media, unlike say those who are up for the death penalty who get appeal after appeal after appeal for at least 10 - 20 years or longer.

SateleNovelist11 and Abadacus like this.
  16. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    A pro death jury is impartial. Why, cause they will decide what is correct punishment. Anti death penalty advocates make a mockery of our justice system because they will not agree to abide by the law. They let their feelings get in the way. Wake up, a death penalty case has to have a full jury that is completely partial to the death penalty. If not then it makes a mockery to the victims and the justice system. Like it or not the death penalty is a decision by the state. If you as a jury member can not fathom sending someone to die then you have failed the state and yourself. If you choose to lie, then you are not better then the criminals that infest our justice system.

If you can't convict someone and send them to the death chamber then tell everyone. That way the justice system can dismiss you because the justice system doesn't need people who do not agree with the law and do not abide by it. Make no bones, giving someone the death penalty is required because the state has decreed that an act so heinous deserves it. You must be willing to look at the evidence to make the decision. You take an oath.

17. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Federal death penalty has few appeals and they go quick. Check out how quickly we sent Timothy McVeigh to the death house. Six years he was on death row.

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Only if somebody wants to go a martyr like McVeigh did.

19. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    ten years then. He is knows what is good for him it will be shorter.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What made him a martyr?

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I've seen a few news reports were there are extreme anti - government "There gunna take my guns" types that consider McViegh a martyr. Sadly I suspect some of those became Tea Partiers.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I haven't heard squat about McVeigh since the day he died...the same day I graduated high school, coincidentally.

23. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Exactly. He said at least once that he considered his execution state-assisted suicide. He clearly got some type of perverse pleasure out of it. We're arguing that people who commit these horrible crimes should not get any pleasure out of this. I also suspect that you are correct in your last sentence.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    9/11 ended his martyrdom real quick.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Holmes won't be facing death. The jury was unable to come to a unanimous sentencing verdict, ergo, he'll spend the rest of his natural life in prison.