main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Death Penalty - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Apr 27, 2015.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Given the Colorado process, I'm surprised that this is actually the end of the jury's service here, as opposed to a few more phases to needlessly draw out this trial.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So Holmes gets spared and Tsarnev doesn't. The anti-Muslim bias is strong among Americans.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Well, we don't know how many jurors actually wanted to execute Holmes yet. All it takes is really one person in that jury room to deadlock things by not voting for death.

4. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Or, people in Colorado are stupid.

5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Or, people in Massachusetts are stupid.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If the Boston Bombing had been a state case and not a federal one, Tsarnev wouldn't have gotten the death penality either as Massachusetts abolished its death penalty years ago. That's why Aaron Hernandez is sitting in prison for the rest of his life, since his case was a state case.

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Ah, so the idiocy is at the Federal level. How comforting.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Federal courts tend to be harsher generally.

9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Which is absolutely missing the point. To quote a certain handsome devil.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Wouldn't want to be aligned with uncivilized darkies! How shameful.

11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    At least someone is going to avoid being killed. The guy is clearly mentally ill. He ought to have been sentenced accordingly, but nobody seems to care about that anymore.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

13. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Isn't that the point of such a list? "Come on america you're so mostly white and civilized get your act together or you'll be on this list with all these nonwhites. "

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Since when has Russia or Belarus been nonwhite?

And you're thinking of lists that are opinion based, not fact based.

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Do we need to go into the history of whether Slavs were considered white?

16. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    That's probably straying too off topic.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I think he was talking of countries where human rights are constantly violated with joy and abandon.

SateleNovelist11, tom and Diggy like this.
  18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, I actually didn't even think about colour at all. Although now I do, that list is really pretty short. So the majority of nonwhite majority countries don't have the death penalty. So really, keeping the death penalty, so yeah, "Come on america you're so mostly white and civilized get your act together or you'll be on this list with all these nonwhites. "

19. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How can you not be ethically opposed to the death penalty?

The state has no right over your life.

The state does grant liberty (dear inevitable natural rights/Jeffersonian respondents, I'm going to stop you right there and say there's no such thing as God, fairies, Santa or natural rights so please return to reality. It missed you) which is why the state is empowered to deprive liberty (incarceration) in the event of a breach of the social contract by a citizen. The tradeoff we make with the state in agreeing to be governed by a particular set of laws is the understanding that the laws benefit us all and those who break those laws will be appropriately punished and rehabilitated back into society.

Since the state does not grant life - that is, no permission is sought prior to conception or birth, no laws restricting the conditions for pregnancy etc - it cannot take life (and should tell religious idiots to **** right off with their stupid objections to euthanasia). It's fundamentally unjust to pretend they can.

There is no ethical or moral justification for the death penalty. If you support it, it's because you are a deeply terrible human being deep down.

Tunes, I know you're not a bad person so i assume you meant to say "the death penalty is terrible"?

EDIT: @Vivec, there are also a significant number of predominantly non-white nations who do not execute and are on the list. Pointing to countries where the US has parity with the developing world - such as income inequality and capital punishment - is not done for racial reasons. It's to highlight that the US, a supposedly developed nation, acts like these other largely developing nations (Taiwan and Singapore, for example, are actually quite advanced in most regards including per capita income, health care but of course, SG has issues with a free press. Or lack thereof) where human rights are less enshrined in the legal framework.

If you're trying to make it racial, it might be worth noting that most of these human rights constructs are born out of Western liberal ideals so of course there's a Western-centric bias to the thinking. Pointing it out makes the whole discussion moot, so if that's the intent...

Diggy likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well,he's not opposed to it ethically, he probably is opposed in practicality.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah but that's what confuses me. It's fundamentally unethical. Tunes is actually fairly ethical (note, I mean in terms of civic ethics, not work ethics :p) so I'm surprised that his objection is phrased this way.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Far be it for me to speak for tunes, but I'm thinking in a perfect world, where murder can be proved 100%, send them to the gallows. Not even proved really,it's just a fact. He's good with that. I think?

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Oh I think that's probably a fair summation; how he's ok with it is what I'm trying to make sense of.

24. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I guess it's a question of whether you are opposed to the death penalty simply because of the risk of executing an innocent person or whether you are opposed to the death penalty because the state shouldn't execute anybody.

Diggy likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm the latter. Because I hate brown people. According to Vivs.