main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holocrons

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sith1137, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    what ever happend to them in the NJO? they might appear usefull against the vong. and wouldnt they have info about the old jedi order?

2. Mandalore74

Mandalore74 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    I don't think the ancients Jedi order knew about the Vong therefore they wouldn't be much help. There may be a reference about the "Far Outsiders" though. We never find out what happened with that after RP.

3. Sinje_Gawa

Sinje_Gawa Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 17, 2001
    They may not have known about the Vong, but the old Jedi order knew how to be Jedi, which would certainly be a help to Luke's gang.

Just watch what the Jedi can do in the prequels, then compare it to Luke's Jedi... even in technique these guys are severely lacking.

Luke admits several times that since the Force isn't telling them what to do, he doesn't know how the Jedi are supposed to act. The old order had things like the Code to help them on this, which accumulated the knowledge of thousands of years of reflections on the Force and being Jedi.

When Jaina abandons her training completely during her time with Rogue Squadron and isn't even shown to meditate - centering herself and dealing with emotions that will eventually hinder her, leaving her emotionally rudderless and on the path to the dark side... this is the kind of thing that proper Jedi training would have avoided. A Jedi's training is never complete, they must always grow, explore, reflect on the Force, continue to center themselves and become stronger in the Force. But the kids' teacher (Luke) has been running around since ESB either asking when his training will be complete or declaring that he completed his training to become a Jedi Knight. "A Jedi Knight you may be, but a Jedi's training is never complete." God, I wish Yoda's spirit would have said that to him just once to shut him up.

I could toss out a dozen examples of things that Luke's Jedi should know but don't... things they could surely learn from a Holocron. Even Lucas referred to Luke as a 'half-trained Jedi' when describing how much more powerful or different the prequel Jedi would seem in the films.

Thing is, with all the stuff EU writers hand to the characters over the years... Master Ikrit, holocrons, historical or cultural information... I just don't get how they don't seem to know anything.

4. Nitro29

Nitro29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2001
    Didn't Exar Khunn(sp?) destroy it in the JAT?

5. Mateo

Mateo Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Well there is the Jedi Holocron that was recovered in Darth Vader's castle on Vjun in the JJK books, Anakin had that one and im sure Luke has it now.

6. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    There were several holocrons, so even if Exar Kun destroyed one in the JAT, many more still exist. However, Holocrons seem more like a Bantam thing, I doubt we'll see any play a major role in the NJO.

7. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    well said and thats what i mean. the one exarkun destroyed was a sith one mentioned in another thread

8. wild_knight

wild_knight Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 13, 2002
    No the Holocron Exar Kun destroyed in Dark Apprintice was a Jedi not SIth Holocron it was the one Leia stole from the Emperor in DArk Empire and the one the Emperor stole from a Jedi Master during the Purge.

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Kun destroyed two holocrons, a Jedi holocron and a Sith holocron. The Jedi holocron was destroyed by Kun when he was a spirit, but the Sith holocron was destroyed by him during the Sith War. It's destruction helped him cause several Jedi Knights turn to the dark side and become his Sith apprentices.

10. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd like to point out that Anakin Skywalker came into possession of a Sith holocron a week before TPM. Another Sith holocron surfaced on Courscant at about the same time.

TC

11. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    They still have Palpatine's Holocron Leia stole.

The one destroyed by Exar Kun in JAT was one found by Tionne, I think.

12. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    No, I believe it was clearly the one stolen by Leia. In I, Jedi, I believe there is a point where Tionne is fiddling with it in Corran's presence and they run across Bodo Baas as the gatekeeper of the holocron. Bodo Baas was the gatekeeper of the one Leia stole.

13. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Nope, the Holocron guardians aren't the same, although both are Baas. Check the books/comics for that... And I don't remember where I read about the Leia/Tionne holocrons, I'll search later... That is in a few hours... Gotta go now !

14. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    For the source, check Bodo Baas' entry in the EGTC.

15. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    The only reason Baas is on the Holocron is because he created it.
    Exar Kun killed his master (Baas) for it to learn more about the Sith.

I think that's how the story goes.

16. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I fact, there are two holocrons in JAT/DE.

The one in Dark Empire has Bodo Baas for guardian.

The one in JAT has Vodo-Siosk Baas for guardian.

17. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    I suggest you turn to I, Jedi. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. More precisely, it's in chapters such as 12 and 14, and pages such as 127-129 and 155-159. Example quotes from I, Jedi are as follows:

Pages 127-128:
    "Certainly not a bad one." His right hand came out from beneath his cloak. Hovering above his outstretched palm I saw a milky jade crystal block. It rotated slowly there in the air and glowed with an internal light that gave Luke's flesh a nasty green cast to it. "You remember what this is?"

"A Jedi Holocron. It contains histories and wisdom and information about the Jedi collected down through the years." I twisted my torso left and right to stretch some of the muscles in my back. "Tionne has been using it to research Jedi history. She said the gatekeeper is an alien Jedi named Bodo Baas."

"Exactly right." Luke cupped his hands and touched the floating cube with his fingertips.

The crystal flared white for a moment, then the hologram of a hunched insectoid creature with a bulbous carapace congealed above it like a green ghost. The creature oriented itself toward Luke. "Greetings, Jedi," it intoned, "I am Bodo Baas, the gatekeepr of the Holocron. Do you have a question for me?"

Page 155:
    There, bathed in the green glow from Bodo Baas, sat Tionne. She looked long and lean and lovely, with the greenish tint the light gave her hair looking far better on her than it did on me. She would have been unarguably gorgeous, except her hands covered her face and her shoulders shook with sobs.

Bodo Baas' image reached a clawed limb toward her. "For a Jedi, there is no emotion, there is peace."

Well, those two quotes prove that Bodo Baas, a descendant of Vodo Siosk Baas, who was also a Holocron gatekeeper. According to the EGtC, under Bodo Baas' entry, when Vodo Siosk Baas died, his stories became a part of the Jedi Holocrons. And his holocron was used by Luke to teach on Yavin IV. As it is in the Bodo Baas entry, this suggests that Vodo Siosk Baas' hollocron ended up in his descendant's keeping.

This can be futher suggested by looking to the DE Sourcebook on page 61:

Those who have the awareness to make of it awaken the power of organic crystals deep inside the Holocron. They first find the image of Bodo Baas, famed Jedi Master from long ago. He is the "Gatekeeper" of the Holocron's most useful hidden function--that of an interactive teaching tool. Almost without bidding, the Holocron can sense the surface thoughts of the user and present the wisdom of the ages.

Bodo Baas is only the first of many Jedi Masters whose wisdom dwells within the storage molecules of the Holocron, but until the user has gained enough wisdom, he is the only one encountered. Knowledge is power and the makers of the Holocron knew that too much in the hands of the unprepared could be the undoing of all their work. If the user only seeks basic knowledge, then there is no difficulty and its lore may be accessed directly, like a computer encyclopedia, or hearing the words of the Masters themselves as told by Bodo Baas. Deeper teachings and accounts are told directly by other Masters.

This quote serves as a basis for Luke's useing the Holocron to teach in Dark Apprentice. Luke calls upon different Masters to teach his students. Chapter 23 shows a Master telling a story from when Yoda was a young Jedi Knight, in fact the story of his becomeing a Knight. And in chapter five, page 69, Luke claims that they will invoke a past Master from the Holocron, that of Vodo Siosk Baas. But my important to where the holocron came from is just the paragraph before, also in chapter 5, page 59:

[blockqute]Luke repositioned a small tanslucent cube on the raised dias behind him. He ran his fingers over the cool surface of the ancient knowledge repository Leia had stolen from the resurrected Emperor. The Jedi Holocron.[/blockquote]

While the EGtWaT claims it was destroyed during the struggle against the Emperor's forces, DA and I, Jedi prove otherwi

18. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >they might appear usefull against the vong

>I don't think the ancients Jedi order knew about the Vong therefore they wouldn't be much help.

Yeah. The only use they would have against the Vong would be as projectiles. :D

TC

19. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Indeed, Knight.

Well, I guess the EGtC made a mistake here...

20. sith1137

Dec 13, 2001
    thanks for postin that knight. i never read i, jedi. guess i should

21. Knight1192

Feb 5, 2000
    Hey, I had said that I thought it was mentioned in I, Jedi. You we're right about the contraditory info in EGtC, there's also some in EGtWaE. But to have other sources say otherwise really makes one want to check things out. Besides, I like posting quotes with the chapter and pages they can be found on when I provide evidence. Makes it easy for folks to look up what I said and see for themselves. If it's important, I don't want you to merely take my word for it. I want you to be able to confirm for yourself what I say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.