main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holograms and Force ghosts in PT and OT

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Commander5052, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    In the Empire Strikes back, Darth Vader contacts three Star Destroyer captains by holo. The holo shows their skin color and the brown of their uniforms. When Gunray contacts Sidious in TPM and RotS, the hologram is entirely blue.

As for Force ghosts, it's pretty much the same thing. When Ben contacts Luke in ESB, you see his skin color. In RotJ, when you see Ben, Yoda, and Anakin, they're al blue.

Thoughts?

2. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Sure. Technology was 20 years better during the OT. For holograms they found a better way to broadcast with color. They weren't limited to blue.

As for Force Ghosts, they're ghosts. Their appearance doesn't have to be consistent since you really have nothing else to compare it to. Force Ghosts can change to pink for all we know.

3. JMN77

JMN77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2005
    Earlier in ROTJ Ben's ghost is not blue.

4. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    There's certainly something rather eerie about the fact that, during the Jedi Council meetings in ROTS, some of the members appear as holograms that make them appear ghostly. It's almost as though we're being subliminally informed that most of the Jedi aren't going to be alive much longer!

5. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    The reason why holograms may appear different in each trilogy (PT and OT) is because the evolution in technology... I believed this was explained by Lucas or one of his boys, I am not pretty sure, but I get that feeling.

On the other hand, I think there is consistancy with the color of force ghosts... I don't remember seeing them all blue in ROTJ...

6. DON_QUITO12

DON_QUITO12 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2005
    I think that could be much of a coincidence... After all, it was for sure that almost every Jedi there was going to be wiped out soon...

I remember that most people got confused before watching the film and thought that those images were force ghosts, but they weren't. This knowledge was developed latter by Yoda and Obi Wan Kenobi from Qui-Go Jinn's teachings...

7. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    Holograms and Force ghosts are opposite just like technology and Jedi religion.

All along the saga there's the opposition between technology and spiritual believes; but the message that GL gives is that a spiritual force is stronger than any technological product (see for ex, in ANH Death Star is destroyed by Luke who turned off the radar and used the Force only), so that while holograms are nothing alive and they're often disturbed, Force ghosts come from a deeper level of existence and own even immortality!

Holo and ghosts seem to be similar, but they are very different.
    I think that it's here, looking at holograms and Force ghosts, that we can find the final great victory of the spiritual essence on technology.

Good observation.

8. loebs

loebs Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 4, 2005
    whats funny is that the OT finally shows advanced technology compared to the PT with holographic images because the PT ones all are blue as in the OT ones u have some color to them such as leias message and lukes message to jabba, then again this can be because of R2 system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.