main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holograph Tutorial Released!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by CarlCampbell, Aug 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    I wonder if anyone remembers.. long ago when I barely joined this place... Ok, so NOT so long ago, but it sure does seem like it, I was working on a holohraph, as much as I'd've liked to expand that thread, it barely reached 30 posts. Rewardingly, however, I received quite a few requests for a tutorial on how to do this. SO without further ado(sp?) here it is:

HOLOGRAPH TUTORIAL

Feel free to use this thread for any questions or problems you might be having with this tutorial and even post your completed versions if you'd like. Who knows? Maybe just someday, this technique might get popular enough to turn into a new standard effect for fanfilms :)

Enjoy!

Carl

2. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    Great tutorial Carl....

But how do you an actual person into a hologram?

3. frosthsky

frosthsky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 2, 2002
    I was about the ask the same question. Could this technique also be applied to a person?

4. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    When it involves actual footage of and actor its a holoGRAM, not a holoGRAPH. If you want the regular hologram for people, go to the link at the beggining of the tutorial.
    This can only be used with 3D elements due to the fact the you can make them rotate. So if you're willing to make a 3D actor, sure. The objects you can use in this tutorial are unlimited, as long as they are CG and not very big.
    On a side not, remember to scale your objects down a bit because holographs tend to do that in science fiction. ;)

Carl

5. webwiz03

webwiz03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2002
    Wow, we really did a good job on that one, eh? ;)

Regards,
    Kai

6. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Great tutorial Carl, incredibly informative :)

7. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Hmm, it seems that those people that DID ask for the tutorial aren't seeing this somehow... :D Well, I guess Ryan W's energy ball 2.0 took all the croud tonight... Ah well, life's a beach, all that hard work... :_| I just hope someone ever uses it... Someone comfort me, quick!

Carl

8. frosthsky

Jul 2, 2002
    Well, Carl, if it makes you feel any better I'm DEFINATELY going to use this toturial for a scene in my fanfilm :) Unfortunately it won't be done for 2 years, but at least it's something.

9. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Heh, that'll be something to look forward to. :) I was actually hoping someone would actually look through the tutorial and display the finaly result online, that way I can find out if I missed anything important while writing it. You see, apart from the screenshots, that are pretty generic, I practically wrote the whole thing relying on my own memory...

If anyone wants to see what they could be in for when they decide to do this tutorial, here's what you could get:

FINAL HOLOGRAPH RESULT

Enjoy! ;)

Carl

10. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    I don't have After Effects. :(

I'm sure it's a good tutorial, but I quit reading after I saw that I need AE.

11. frosthsky

Jul 2, 2002
    I still have lots of FX to test before the start of my movie. I might try this next.

I'll see what I can do with this next week.

12. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
    I also stopped when i saw the words AE.... I have been trying to teach myself AE for quite some time now...and didn't get to far.

13. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    JD, does that mean you don't own it or you do but don't know how to use it that well? If its the later, this tutorial can teach you some useful things. In a way, we haven't just told you WHAT to do in this tutorial, but WHAT you are TELLING the program. We also added some explanations for most of the important steps you have to follow.

Example: "Apply a Track Matte..." -we don't leave it at this, we explain it too- "... a which tells AE that any part of the..."

Carl

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.