main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holographic entertainment network (HoloNet on Earth) technical observations

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by obiwanccna, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obiwanccna

obiwanccna Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2004
    This post will be incredibly dry and boring except to the right people (I'm a network engineer, so this stuff intrigues me)

I was just thinking about the HoloNet, and how in 10 years or so, i've heard, we Earthlings will have a system like it.

The Holographic Entertainment and Telepresence Network (the really boring corporate name that will probably be used) will be a total change in the way we communicate to others, manage corporate functions and reduce the TCO associated with these aspects of the corporate ecosystem. (I'm trying to think like a corporate CEO, because I can guarantee you that when the technology becomes mass produced, corporations will be the first to adopt it)

The equipment:

My vision of what a holonet TV session will be like is that there will be a flat screen of black material on the wall opposite the viewing area (like we do now with flatscreen TVs). This material will be used as a surface for the light from the holographic transmission to reflect off of.

The 3D image is created using a high speed rotating mirror (running above 7000 RPM). The light reflects off of this mirror and creates the image. It is important to note that the holographic generator only produces a single colour image (either black or white) using microscopic tilting mirrors) (DLP, anyone?) A colour wheel spins at high speed in front of the light path to create colours.

The details of transmitting the images

The network infrastructure of the HoloNet will be comprised of fiber optics to every home and subscriber, just like cable.

Each station on the holonet will have a set of addresses assigned to them. You will traverse the "TV" channels like normal, but what is actually happening is that your "cable box" is retrieving a page off of the holonet (just like we do with the Internet)

A holonet URL (holo address) I think will look like this:

hgtp://holo.feluciaonline.com.fc/feed?1&chid=25

HGTP is Holographic Transmission Protocol. The address would always begin with holo, like we do with "WWW". The station name is next (it works like a web address). The next part of the address is always feed then the channel number of the feed on that station.

How we refer to the holonet:

I would prefer if the Star Wars community as well as everyone interested on the holonet uses the term "watching the holo".
    Also you would say "where's the viewscreen?". Never refer to it as a TV! I want to try to get everyone used to these terms so that it wonn't sound strange when the viewscreens actually come out.

Sorry if this was boring. I just wanted to get my thoughts out before we have a chance to mess things up.

Any thoughts about day to day use of the holonet you would want to say?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.