main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Holonet News

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Sep 8, 2013.

1. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, there was that other HNN that didn't go anywhere....

Fixed.

2. DoubleSith

DoubleSith Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2002
  3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before, but I really like the "Your Empire thanks you" signoff.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Imagine if they had this guy broadcasting the intro to every Rebels episode. It would be like TCW but completely slanted as if Kallus and Inqui were the heroes to introduce every plot.

(as an aside, any separatist watching TCW's intros would be disgusted. pure propaganda [face_not_talking] )

Valin__Kenobi, Gorefiend and Gamiel like this.
  5. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Every character in the show should be voiced by Steve Blum.

6. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Gorefiend and Kablob like this.
  7. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    You can call it a slum if you want, but under the Republic such public services were completely shut down to fund a war that nobody wanted, a war started under false pretenses. You can blame Palpatine if you want, but the Senate ultimately made that decision.

Like, you can look at my username to know I'm not exactly the Empire's strongest supporter, but I mean, if you're in the US, you already live under a government that would rather people die in the street than provide these basic supports. Give credit where it's due.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    Oh dear.

Jedi Princess This is less welfare and more Soviet-style collectivization.

9. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    No no, I get that. "It won’t be long before your uncle is merely a tenant, slaving for the greater glory of the Empire," to quote Biggs Darklighter a few years later.

I'm just saying, the Republic was literally just abandoning people to fend for themselves during the Clone Wars. It's easy for Lothal to say things were better back then; they were an isolated, independent farming world with few ties to the greater galactic community. Lothal spent the last years of the Republic ignoring the plight of other worlds; I wonder if the people of Naboo, who were abandoned by the Republic during the war, would have the same complaints about the Empire providing for them.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, hardly. The Empire is providing a useful public service: housing for those who have none. You can't tell me that you think it's sinister. Honestly, the Empire can't possibly win. Do something nice, and people start asking why.

Perhaps if people had more civic spirit they wouldn't be so paranoid. Sometimes people of things just because it's right.

Gorefiend and Jedi Princess like this.
  11. Jedi Princess

Mar 25, 2014
    I mean, the Empire is seizing privately owned farmland. If the possession of private property is important to you, then you would see that as an evil.

But for a lot of people... Well, would I rather toil away for the profits of an individual businessman, then give my money to an individual landowner for rent, who will stash their wealth away for themselves, who will abandon me the moment it's profitable? Or do I work for a militaristic Empire who at the very least is providing for a GALACTIC society logistically?

When you're at the bottom of the ladder, it's those little logistical things that keep you from dying. The Empire, if nothing else, cares enough about ITSELF to prevent that, because people dying tends to foment revolt real fast.

The prequel trilogy intentionally complicates the narrative of the whole saga this way. What good is the rhetoric of "freedom" when that includes the freedom for interplanetary corporations to STARVE OUT an entire planet's population just to protest their reduced profit margins, as the Trade Federation did on Naboo? What good is a "democracy" that lacks any means for the people to be heard, as we saw with Ryloth during the war?

I am tentatively pro-Alliance, because if Leia Organa has her birth-mother's integrity, she may be able to create a genuinely radical form of compassionate governance. But if we're just going to reinstate people like Orn Free Taa, Hallie Burtoni, and Mee Deechi to power? Well, at least the Empire's making sure I won't be homeless again.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

It is a Rim world, you know people living there are the SW version of the "Hill People", they will always distrust authority. :p

He I would vote for Orn as my Senator any day as he is at least perfectly predicable in how corrupt he is, much safer than those incompetent radicals like Binks. [face_batting]

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That's pretty much how it's put in the The Essential Atlas endnotes:

http://geekosity.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/endnotes-for-star-wars-essential-atlas_24.html

DAN: This is a good point to discuss my thoughts on structuring the galaxy, and what it would mean from a cultural standpoint. Apologies in advance for the U.S.-centric nature of this explanation, but it's what I was drawing on from personal experience, and I thought a society that initially formed in a concentrated area and later spread out into a vast, untamed frontier lent itself well to such parallels. The Republic is split into six major divisions, and while working on the Atlas my mental stereotypes were:

Core: Manhattan. An undisputed center of business, fashion, music, publishing, tourism, food, you name it. "If you can make it there you can make it anywhere." Undeniably impressive, but its residents are hated by outsiders as arrogant elites.

Colonies: Brooklyn/Queens. The outer boroughs of New York City just aren't the same as Manhattan, but what the hell, it's still New York.

Inner Rim: New Jersey. The object of much mockery from New Yorkers, despite the fact that New York City and New Jersey are all right on top of each other. Culturally, New Jersey is considered some sort of remote hinterland, but only to New Yorkers. Outsiders don't quite get it (somebody from Indianapolis has no reason to make a New Jersey joke) and that's part of the point. To those who live in the area, once you've traveled out of their small patch of the eastern seaboard you've left the Core and entered the Rim.

Expansion Region: Detroit. The beginning of the Rim, i.e. a place settled during frontier expansion where it eventually became an industrial powerhouse. (Actually Detroit was settled in 1701 by the French, but let's not split hairs.) Like many such places in the so-called "Rust Belt," Detroit's days as a factory town are on the wane and it is filled with empty symbols of industry.

Mid Rim: Iowa. A place of modest towns and modest ambitions, known for honest, hard-working friendly folk. Derided as hopelessly behind the curve and about as exciting as a bowl of unbuttered mashed potatoes.

Outer Rim: Dogpatch, Arkansas. If you live here you live a long way from anywhere with cultural bragging rights. It doesn't matter how smart, stylish, or brilliant you are - as soon as you announce your hometown even Midwesterners give you "that look" and mentally classify you as a hillbilly.

I'm sure I annoyed many U.S. readers with my gross stereotyping, but this isn't meant to be a commentary on America so much as it is a structure with which I could set my head and write about the regions as if they were real places. (It's obviously an incomplete structure anyway, since a city like Los Angeles has no place in this particular cosmology.) I'm a Mid-Rimmer by birth who has lived in the Expansion Region so I'm certainly not one to cast any culture-war stones.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, I do believe that the Empire stands for property and order. It's just that sometimes the government needs property for the public good. I am sure the property owners were compensated for their losses -- to do less would be a miscarriage of justice. The Empire cares about justice, unlike its laissez faire predecessor the Old Republic.

We must not forget that Rimkin cultures are more dog-eat-dog (what's a dog?) than the civilized Coreward regions. They are the haven of separatist-style corporatocracy. We must never forget that the Rebellion uses ex-Seppie tech and materials. Why would they do this unless they mean to make common cause with them?

The Separatists already ruined the galaxy once. Don't let them do it again.

15. vstarvan

vstarvan Jedi Master star 2

Aug 11, 2013
  16. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    Baron Tie Fighter Ace? I wonder where they got that idea...;)

17. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Something in my brain wants to say something, but it's not getting through.

18. Kablob

Jul 24, 2014
    I want to say...Pellaeon?

No, that's not it...

19. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh, I didn't mean "say something" as in point out facts or something; not even mentioning the red stripes on this guy. No, something more... futile.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Iran_Ryad [face_dunno]

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Funny, they even went with the red stripes too.

I guess JoinTheSchwarz is right about them mining the EU for character concepts and changing names :p

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah. The video where they showed Tremayne morphing into the Pau'an Inquisitor was pretty blatant.

23. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

24. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm with MercenaryAce: if the guy turns out to be a straight knock-off of Soontir Fel in all respects, that's one thing (and would be kind of silly). But "enemy fighter ace baron" isn't exactly unique to him.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  25. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    He's Soontir Fel's non-union Mexican equivalent!

[​IMG]

"¡El Imperio es muy bueno!"