main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Holy Cow...

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Genetic_Misfire, Apr 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Eric, stop closing these threads as they are being handled in a very civil matter. Once they get out of hand, jump on in but at this point I see no reason for closing them. I would hate to think you believe these aren't important issues that need to be aired OPENLY and HONESTLY. You closed the original thread as I was typing my reply...

*sigh* Rob, I don't think you are quite understanding what I'm complaining of. If you had a clue into what I was saying, that whole "dead horse" comment would've most likely been dropped.

Tim, I didn't say anything about Kenley's post being deleted because I didn't know about it. I don't know what he said in this post so I can't comment. I understand that you need to keep the peace and I understand you want to protect the feelings of your friend and I see no problem in that. It's when you use your position in FF to protect your friend?s feelings that causes me to call foul. Especially in a case of this nature when nobody is attacking anyone personally. If someone here stated "Wow, Ray Park's site really sucks" or "Have you seen the festering crap that is Anthony Daniels website", would it be deleted? I doubt that it would even though it might offend somebody who very well may see that particular post (and Stone wasn't even being that harsh). Tim, I see the point you are trying to make but I stand by what I said.

Tim (Rob, Chad, Ricky, etc.), I know what you guys were thinking when you read my initial post. You probably doubt my reasons for creating it. Ask Eric, as he and I have gone round and round about posts being deleted. I simply don't agree with it unless it is just painfully obvious somebody is trying to start fights. If you disagree with a particular topic, don't read it. If you disagree with one post, ignore it. If you don't feel you can do that, debate it (if you feel you can do it reasonably and if not, take it to email). The posts around here lately have been pretty boring. I think we need a good debate to liven things up.

... Now being able to reply to Ricky...

Ricky, it's quite obvious we don't see eye to eye on this but I was not asking or trying to get anybody to defend the Mayhew site. I have my opinions about it but that is not the point. There is no dead horse. I would say that your post is a defensive reaction and that's fine but I was talking about post's being deleted and nothing more. I happened to notice a post from Stone (which was in no way offensive) and a few hours later, it was gone. I think this is BS and I think it's an abuse of power. I should have the right to say so. If you disagree let me know. You don't even have to be nice to me, as I don't care. Believe me, if this type of thing happens again (i.e. post deletion with no good reason), I'll publicly chime in again. Even if it's someone raving about how great the Mayhew site is and Tim deletes it because he believes it will incite a reaction from people who disagree (or trying to maintain the peace). I'd disagree with that just as much as I do this.

James

2. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    I'll have you know that Anthony Daniels site rocks!!! Now that's a website!

As for closing threads, well, it seemed that everyone gave their final answers to the one million dollar question. But NO! Leave it Genetic Misfire to spark it up again!!! ;)

If you want a debate I have your debate right here: Why is Alien3 such an embarrasing piece of garbage for such an incredable film maker?

3. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey Tim, that was offensive and I move that it be deleted! :)

James

4. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    May a bald Sigourney Weaver forever haunt your dreams, Eric :D

Fatalism is one of the key elements in the Alien movies, most pronounced in 1 and 3. In addition, upping the "reproductive cycle" terror in 3 added tension/purpose to Ripley's been-there-done-that character.

People rag on the movie way too much [face_plain]

At least let's agree it's far superior to Battlefield Earth (okay, easy target . . . .)

5. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Jesus, finally someone that's not going to rag Alien3 just to hurt me. *wipes tear from eye*

James

*sniffle*

6. chewtabacca

chewtabacca Jedi Youngling

Sep 15, 2000
    James, reread my post, see the part up at the top, the part that says "If the issue of that thread is censorship, then I will say that I am against it...he was very much in the right to express his opinions of www.petermayhew.com, just like he would be about any other 'Star Wars' website he found searching the web.' Newsflash Ace, THAT WAS ME AGREEING WITH YOU.

Then, having done so, I continued on responding to the post that Jeff made. Since this is a DFW FanForce project then obviously the finished quality of the project is a reflection on all of us. There have been several times that Peter and Angie have mentioned that they gave particular information to 'somebody in Fanforce' under the assumption that it would be passed on to Rob, which it never was. we then have to have the information resent directly to us. Jeff says in his post that "He (Peter) has given me, as well as other members, his wishes for the site that have yet to come about". Well, since I have been doing this project I have yet to talk to Jeff or any of these other people. I would love to do so.

-Rick

7. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey newsflash Ricky, maybe you should talk to Jeff directly and not rely on Rob to pass all of this info around (as he is supposed to be doing). As I recall, Jeff and Jarvis have offered their help on this project many times to certain people and been snubbed at the root (am I wrong about this? I don't believe so). Maybe you should shove some of that sarcasm in different directions bub. There are plenty of reasons why you don't have much help on this project.

You are right though. I should have read your post more thoroughly instead of just skimming it. Sorry. Glad you agree though.

James

8. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    I've just reread my last post and I want to make something clear. I don't know what Rob's duties entail and I'm not sure how much work he has with this Mayhew project. Maybe it's more difficult than it seems but I don't want to be mistaken. Rob may not have time to fend questions and requests from everybody but I do believe that managing that type of stuff is one of the responsibilites of his position. I do believe that if this project truly reflects on FF as a whole, you MUST have the input of more than are currently involved. That is if it reflects on so many.

Basically at this point, I have to call it like I see it.

James

9. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    Where do I try to begin here?

As far as other members of the group having knowledge about requests from the Mayhews (whom I am also in fairly frequent contact with), this is news to me as of the recent post. I am always open to new information, as well as suggestions that will make this project more and more successful. As with any project of this type, it is always a work in progress. I agree with Ricky on the point that, if there are any ideas from the general group, I am fully open to listening to them, getting them constructed, and presenting them to Peter and Angie to get their opinion. Remember, though, that if they say "no," no matter how good of an idea that it is, they have the final say. I myself have had a couple of ideas that I thought were fairly sweet (but I AM simple minded), but were not in line with the idea of what they wanted. 'Tis the way the ball bounces.

The delicate balance that I feel needs to be reached here is one of as much group participation as can be facilitated without too many cooks in the broth. If I have made anyone feel that they are out in the cold on this project, I apologize. I hope that you all understand that you are more than welcome to contact me anytime with any ideas, suggestions, etc. that you may have on this. Believe me, this is as much y'all's project as it is mine; I am just the final step on the DFWFF side of things.

BTW Jeff, how goes the T-shirt designs? I was ALL about the one you showed me at the Expo. Great stuff, my friend.

10. stone

stone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    oh jeeeeze....

will you guys just LET IT GO.

..................stone <---- could care less

11. m0rpheus

m0rpheus Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Ok this is strange I know..but I'm going to edit my own post. Why is this strange? Because James (genetic_misfire)actually makes a good point. I know, hell is about to freeze over and pigs are going to fly. But he makes some good points. As long as we play nice, and make sure our remarks dont reflect negatively on the group, maybe we can hash out a couple of things. Let's see what happens.

12. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    First off, my very first time to ever meet and talk with Peter was at the dinner in Fort Worth. He talked intensely about how he loved the idea that we (as a fan group) were working on his site. I got excited of course. Whether I had the opportunity to actually add any input into to creation of the site was far from my mind. The fact that I was never informed by anyone that the site was already in progress and that there were 2-3 exclusively working on it kind of peaved me. That was just another "not gonna happen" project I was standing around watching go by. Then I was given the opportunity to personally begin discussions with Peter. Don't ask how, I knew that certain people wouldn't approve seeing that they insinuated that all conversations with Peter go through them. Sure, Peter and Angie have final say reguarding their site, I have never thought otherwise. Peter believes that the entire group, as I used to think, has input on his site...so he asked me this..(paraphrasing)"What ever happened to his "Q and A" section that he wanted on one of the main pages." I have never been given the opportunity for input, and have been knocked down twice for asking, so I thought this an idea he had brought to the attention of the "right" people already seeing the fact it was the second time he had mentioned it to me. I haven't been welcomed into this project so I'm staying out of it. This was the entire point I was trying to make in the now "closed" threads. Not a very "lets all have fun and create a SW website" mood on this one.

I've never even met Ricky so this was never a personal attack against anyone. I've tried repeatedly to get the "ball rolling" on anything here. If the DFW fanforce was a business, we would have gone bankrupt months ago with the amount of "feet dragging". Again, this is not a personal attack against anyone. As for certain ideas, like the creation of a T-shirt, I've been told during several meetings that there are certain problems with the "T-shirt company" being used. OK...Lets use someone else. There are several people in the group who have volunteered to get the "ball rolling" on that idea but have been put on hold. I decided to at least try and create several designs but, I'm not going to approach a "dead horse" with them.

The DFW Fanforce is a good group of people and I've made alot of good friends here. I don't want to see it go the way of the do-do. It just seems as if most of us go to the meetings anly to talk of "visions of grandure" and then nothing comes about. Again, no attack on anyone here.

"Alright, everyone to your stations...lets go!!"
    Jeff

13. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    You know, I see nothing wrong with being able to publicly air your laundry. Who cares what other people think. I don't and you shouldn't. I think the fact that we can argue and still be friendly says alot more than being quite and talking smack behind someone's back. There are many things I am not happy about and I would like changed. There are many things that INDIVIDUAL people here have done that have really made me quite angry (ask Brandon, he'll tell you all about it) but nothing has been done that I wouldn't forgive somebody for or at least hope to be forgiven for. It seems to me that when you aren't open, honest, and blunt what you say can be misunderstood or worse, said for you. It seems in these cases politics (and politicians) appear and start all sorts of infighting and backstabbing (remember Clint anyone?). That's the kind of stuff I try to (unsuccessfully) steer clear of.

Also, Ricky and I have had our differences. Rob and I have had differences. Same goes with Tim and am I angry with these guys? Sure, at times I am BUT it is nothing that I hold personally and wouldn't like to get past at some point. Believe me, Rob is my best friend when he emails out the next weeks worth of screenings to FC (expecially when it results in getting to see Memento and Blow early). Thank you Rob!!! As much as I appreciate that favor from Rob, I'm gonna let him know if he pisses me off. I think if we all start bringing the crap that irks out in the open, you'll get through it much quicker and easier than talking, planning, and eventually acting against another person. Let's not forget the common goal! To see Episode2 and to have a good time doing it.

Stone, I don't really think it matters if you care. That was never really the point anyway. Though, I would hope you do care to some certain degree.

James

Oh Eric, I will not edit my own post and make them blank so FF will save face. If they bother you so much delete them.

14. Jedi_Jarvis

Jedi_Jarvis Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2001
    I think what I have wanted to say has been said by several folks here already so I wont go over old stuff.

Its great that this is all being said and it would be a good idea to have an 'Urks' thread every once in a while so we can get thing out in the air and hopefully have things changed for the better.

I'm only PO'd at some things but not enough to start sticking pins in Voo-doo dolls. ;)

*Venting over. moving on with life*
    :cool:

15. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey, how about group potty breaks. Or the official FF monthly kickboxing tournament (no Brian, you can't be a part of this one). I know, let's do an easter egg hunt! If nobody is up for the easter egg thing, lets all do TBM honoring at Hooters at least once every other week and Kenley can be the the spot of worship unless Kevin wants to get involved (This idea I like because it wouldn't be hard to include human sacrifice into the plan). If that doesn't work out, I say we have vomiting contests (maybe we could work some flatulence into this one). ;)

James

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm just kidding.

16. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Not having been involved in this group for very long, don't know how much I can add, other than:

Now is the time to work through all of this, as we come out of the post-EpI lull. As the "official" fan group in DFW, we need to be more visible, active and organized as we head toward Episode II. We also need to make sure we're communicating as best we can.

If there are people who feel "left out" of an ostensibly "group" activity, that's going to create friction, even if it's something that started before the members joined. Judging by Rob's response, this was a communications glitch, and no one intended things to turn sour at all. imo, it should have been clearly stated who was taking the lead for the website and when and to what extent others could help, especially regarding the ongoing refinement of the expectations/preferences of the people requesting the website, and new members who are often the most enthusiastic but don't know all the players involved.

A prime purpose for a discussion forum is to serve as a place for people of differing backgrounds/opinions/etc. to work through issues, even difficult issues.
    Those of us who avoid direct confrontation can even state things more clearly in writing than we could off the tops of our heads in a live "debate." For this reason, some discussion of heavy issues should be allowed/encouraged on the boards. It also serves as a reminder and reference point to help keep us on track.

A lot of typing just to say: we need better communications, so we understand more of where everyone else is coming from, and can better represent the SW fan community.

I have other obligations that keep me pretty busy, but will help as much as possible. Now to post and read what's happened since I started typing this :)

Edit: C'mon James, we could still do the kickboxing thing--just allow flatulence and vomiting as approved techniques, that would help level the playing field :D

And a reconciliatory trip to Hooter's afterwards!

17. chewtabacca

Sep 15, 2000
    OK, we will give it a try. Friday night I am hosting an open house for all of you that have input or design suggestions for the Mayhew site. My wife, Trinity has volunteered to fix dinner for you bunch o savages. I will also make a chatroom available on Yahoo messenger so that those of you that cant make it can still be heard. My house is kid friendly but smoking is only allowed on the patio. If you are interested in being part of the creative process on the site please find time to attend, either in person or virtually. Also, i you have a decent laptop, please bring it along. That will allow us to work on multiple ideas at once. I look forward to seeing you all there.

-Rick

(please e-mail me for directions. thatlazybum@hotmail.com)

-Rick

18. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    It's been a couple of days, so I thought I'd check in here...

First off, for those of you that are wondering, Ricky's mom was discharged from the hospital this morning. As he stated, she is as well as could be expected.

He also told me that he has not heard from anyone as to the meeting he has requested for anyone to give input on www.petermayhew.com on Friday evening. If you have ideas that you think can work for the site, I implore you to get a hold of him somehow to be involved. I have to work that evening, so unfortunately, I cannot be there. Which brings me to my next point...

The bar that I will be doing the DJ thing at that evening is very close to his house, so if y'all would like to stop by and see me (if for no other reason than to put a few back), I'd love to see you guys.

Back to the matter at hand...

Before I posted this today, I took some time to re-read both of these threads, as I wanted to see if I missed anything the first time around. And I did...

JEFF- I have been thinking about the Q & A section of the site. Yes, it was discussed. The reason that we haven't gotten it up yet is that we want to make it as a form that goes to a specified e-mail account that we wanted to set up on the server. As of yet, we have not been able to get that together, but steps are being made to make that happen. I appreciate you mentioning it. Is there anything else that you have been told that perhaps I am not aware of? (That was not sarcasm... honest question)

Also, I understand your point on the T-shirt issue. I would be inclined to ask you to perhaps take a gander around at different establishments (both on-line and off, if you can) to see the best deal that you can find, and present that to Tim either at or before the next FF meeting. Given the fact that our visibility seems to be increasing every time we are doing a function, this project is becoming more and more important, IMO.

BRIAN- Thanks for your input. Your last post helped give me the perspective that I needed to put this post together. I had not realized that the group in general had not been made aware that I am the Project Manager on this. It was not my intention to leave anyone in the dark; see my point above about cooks and the broth.

JAMES- Alien 3 didn't actually suck (it was no "The Art Of War"), but I think you may have a tag team partner in Brian now. And woe to the day when "Alien Vs. Predator" finally gets off of the ground. Especially if it's the script I read. :D Thanks for bringing this dialogue to the forefront, especially given the discussion that it has evolved into.

ERIC- To take some heat off of James... "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" stunk of mediocrity. :)

RICKY- As you were. Had to put something in here...

JARVIS- Don't you and Jeff think I've forgotten about your respective offers. Believe me. As we said earlier, this thing is an ever-evolving process.

I'll close by reiterating the point that Jeff made earlier: this is a TERRIFIC group of people, within which I have made some very good friends, as well as being able to spend more time with some of the friends I had before I joined DFWFF. If any of you want to ask me anything, feel free to contact me. Just don't wake me up. You wouldn't like me when I'm woken up. (Bad take on a classic line)

19. DarthCynthia

DarthCynthia Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2000
    I thought I'd post something here myself. I apologize that I have not been able to make some of the meetings and conventions (I've only made one convention as a DFF member - I was in Austin but it was w/ the SWSD tho').. I've got a lot of crap happening here (yeah.. I know.. we all do) and I'm very nervous it'll get worse (health thing in the family that will pretty much change all our lives if it turns out to be bad news - no, I'm fine but if you hear a lot of screaming and cursing here in Grapevine that'd probably be me :p ). I wish I could make every convention, meeting, get together, etc.. heck.. even the lineup... sadly with the way things are.. I won't be doing that but I do intend to stop by a day or two and hang out.. I'm not blowing that off totally (not that that's really by choice mind you).

I guess I just wanted to say.. I am a part of DFF, this group is important to me, and I hope it continues to grow and that I can even hit more things (heck.. the more things available to do.. the more times I might get to do them).

Anyway.. MTFBW us all... long live the DFF... and hopefully nothing will come up because I want to make this next meeting :(

and btw, remember that those Grapevine conventions are in my town, so I'll try to help where possible :p :) (it's hard for me to say "oh.. I'll do this" because my hubby has to donate his precious time to get me there and help me out as well and I don't like making things definite because he has moments he has to cancel out and focus on something else, sadly.

20. chewtabacca

Sep 15, 2000
    Due to a phenomenal lack of interest, the planning session for tomorrow night has been canceled.

Thank you

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.