main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[Holy Crap] Guitar Hero: Metallica

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Jun 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    ZOMG!

Earlier this year, Activision unveiled Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, the first installment in its billion-dollar rhythm series based entirely on a band. No sooner had the publisher announced the deal than speculation began to spread about what the second band-based Guitar Hero game would be. Along with Van Halen, the most mentioned group was Metallica, the legendary San Francisco Bay Area heavy-metal quartet.

Time to ride the royalty lightning!

Now, talk of Guitar Hero: Metallica is no longer a case of wishful thinking or idle speculation--it's fact. When sifting through an SEC filing of Activision's over the weekend, Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Edward Woo--associate of the highly visible Michael Pachter--uncovered a gem in the section where the Santa Monica, California-based publisher discussed its upcoming game slate.

"In fiscal 2009, we plan to publish Guitar Hero: On Tour for the NDS; Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Guitar Hero: Metallica, and Guitar Hero IV across multiple platforms," the company said in its report. Activision's fiscal year ends on March 31, 2009, which means that the game will likely follow the holiday release of Guitar Hero: World Tour (nee Guitar Hero 4).

Guitar Hero: Metallica will be the first time a game based on the multiplatinum-selling band--which has become only slightly less famous for its antipiracy efforts as its musical achievements--has made it to retail. However, it is the second such game to be announced. In 2003, Vivendi Games--which will soon merge with Activision--struck a deal to create a vehicular combat game inspired by Metallica's music. Unconfirmed reports stated that the project had been quietly canceled in 2005.

OH **** YES!

2. DarthSubZero

DarthSubZero Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Metallica>Aerosmith, FYI.

3. DarthSolar

DarthSolar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2008
    You really love this game lol.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Can't wait 'til the songs get ripped to Frets On Fire. :p

Metallica songs are the best to play.

5. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I thought they were doing Guitar Hero: Led Zeppelin?

6. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There's still several great Metallica songs that haven't been used yet in RB or GH -- "Whiplash," "Seek and Destroy," "Fight Fire with Fire," "The Unforgiven," "Creeping Death," "Fuel," and "Master of Puppets" are ones I can immediately think of.

And I could probably come up with many, many more.

If the game somehow includes a level where you get to force Jason Newsted to quit the band by spoiling all his metal-superstar dreams, I would probably make the sweet love to all of the game developers.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Fade to black?!One?!Master of Puppets?!Whisky in the Jar?!

I love Guitar Hero. You know what would be more crazy though? Guitar Hero: Pantera. Dimebag was the best guitarist alive.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    I think everyone would wet their pants if that happened.

Having said that, Zeppelin won't let anyone have merely one of their songs. Giving Activision access to their entire library will never happen.

It's sad.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Countdown to arthritis and broken wrists begins...now.

10. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    This had better feature So What, all of the Master Of Puppets album, and little to none from Load, Reload and St Anger.

Hopefully there will be a bullying minigame, as well.

11. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    The idea of So What being in a game makes me LOL. Guess it would have to be the censored version.

12. Legend_of_Leroy

Legend_of_Leroy Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    better come out on wii, "One" was awesome to play on GH3, although the solo always killed me.

"Master of Puppets", "Enter Sandman", "Battery" can't wait.

13. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Pffffffffft, everyone knows that Iron Maiden > Metallica.
    I really can't abide Enter Sandman in Rock Band. It had one of the most boring bass lines ever.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    While I agree there should be little to nothing from St Anger, and I tend to find the pre-Black Album material "better", I find I prefer the Load/Reload/Garage Inc/S&M era generally, if that makes any sense. They can find a good balance I think.

15. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Load and Reload aren't as "heavy metal" as Metallica's early work. This caused many long time fans (myself included) to dismiss them completely. It wasn't until recently that I re-listend to them and found that they are quite good in their own right. I'm also one of the few people who enjoy St. Anger, even with it's lack of guitar solos. I hope that GH:M has songs from all of their albums.

16. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/05/coldplay.html

:[face_sigh]:

I'm not opposed to Coldplay in video game form on principle, but this song being included, like most of GH3's DLC, really, reeks of a marketing meeting, not any sort of love for the band.

Wouldn't Guitar Hero: Metallica just be a disc full of the note-wankery the Score Hero people demand like the later tiers in GH3? And wouldn't it have crap from their most recent output that would be, well, crap? (St. Anger, I'm looking right at you -- my ex-college roommate followed them across the country during the summer of '03 when that piece of barf came out.)

I think therein lies the problem with band-discs. Yeah, you'll get some stuff you like, but it would probably be better to just have DL-packs you could cherry-pick your favorites from.

And I like how they pretend that getting the Sex Pistols back into the studio for GH3 was anything but a disaster.

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Hey, the Sex Pistols are still my favorite band. Rotten Johnny can still rock out with the best of them.

18. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    The problem with that GH: Metallica disc is that they don't have exclusive rights, and Harmonix snatched up a good portion of Metallica's back catalogue to release as DLC a long time ago. We'll have most of the quality stuff on Rock Band before that game sees a shelf.

On the "1UP Yours" podcast last week, they were discussing some Activision talking-head, who was commenting on how they plan to release TRIPLE the number of GH "skus" (this term blows) next year. Considering there are three different GH flavors releasing this year (Aerosmith, On Tour, World Tour), that's nine different titles.

Even if that's a gross over-estimation, methinks the saturation point is about to hit on overpriced offerings. Especially when you factor in the relatively affordable DLC gravy-train Rock Band is riding.

I have no problem with them releasing multiple discs (and new songs), so long as you have the option to download the songs to your 360, link them to your user account, and play them regardless of which disc you have inserted at that moment. If they make us swap between nine different discs, it's going to get old real fast.

...Please tell me this isn't their plan.

19. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    You're basically saying "**** you" to everyone who doesn't have Live, including myself and the other 40% of 360 owners who aren't connected. We don't get all this tasty DLC that you guys get (which is why I am a proud non-owner of the piece of **** that is Rock Band sans DLC). So the thought of having "expansions," if you will, with new songs is pretty thrilling for us. If you don't want them, don't buy them. But let us have our fun, too.

20. DDL

DDL Jedi Master star 4

Nov 5, 2005
    I wouldn't mind playin a GH game with Ted Nugent songs... :)

21. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006

**** you, person who dosen't have Xbox Live. You freeloaders.

22. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    I'm not saying "**** you" to non-Live users -- I actually said that it's fine if they do both; release all the songs on disc in retail stores, and let the Live users pick-and-choose which songs they want to download online. Or, they can put everything together in one XBL "package" for the Live folks, the same as the retail discs, if they wanna go that way. Or something in between.

There's enough room for both options to keep everyone happy.

23. DarthSubZero

Nov 10, 2006
    I did, you should too.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Believe me, if I could get Live, I would. Not being able to download the Muse pack is killing me.

25. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    Stockholm Syndrome is my favourite song in the game now. Breaking 500K FTW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.