main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends "Holy Force, Batman!" Crossover/AU, JA, H/C, Qui/Obi-angst (2008 Winner Best Crossover!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Chapter 5 ? Move Over Robin

Barbara leaned on the breakfast bar, elbows on the counter, tearing apart half of a bagel and popping the bits into her mouth. ?So what do you think of our guest??

Dick looked up from the other side of the counter where he sat on a stool devouring a bowl of cereal while reading the sports section of the newspaper. ?I don?t know.? He shrugged. ?He looks kind of weird, but we really didn?t have a chance to talk much. He was too busy passing out on me.?

Barbara leaned closer across the counter, an impish grin on her face. ?You just don?t like him because he made you wreck your cycle.?

Dick swatted a lock of her long blond hair away from the proximity of his breakfast. ?Do you mind??

She smiled even wider and straightened up. ?Oh yeah, that guy?s already in your doghouse. Hadn?t even met you and he?d already wrecked your baby.?

?Babs,? Dick said with a sigh. ?Will you give it a rest? How can I be mad at someone I haven?t really met yet? Give me a little time to get to know the guy before I decide not to like him.?

Barbara laughed.

Dick smiled and returned his attention to his breakfast and the baseball stats.

Alfred entered the kitchen and headed toward one of the large refrigerators at the far end of the room. ?I see you two are chipper and wide awake this morning,? he said in a cheerful voice. ?Did you even attempt to rest??

?Come on, Uncle Alfred,? Barbara said. ?Who can rest with all that?s been going on??

?Yeah,? Dick put in. ?By the way, how?s our friend doing? Is he awake yet??

?Our friend?? Alfred emphasized the word ?friend.? ?? has a name it would seem.?

Barbara pushed herself away from the counter and followed her uncle to the refrigerator. ?Which is??

?Obi-Wan Kenobi.? He pulled a glass bowl out and set it on the counter by the stove.

Dick snorted a chuckle. ?What kind of a name is that??

?Evidently a name that is not from around here, Master Dick.?

?No kidding,? Barbara said. ?Hey, is that for him? Can I help??

Alfred smiled at her. ?No thank you, my dear. Why don?t you go shower and dress for the day? I have a feeling Master Obi-Wan will be up and around a bit sooner than the doctor anticipated. Perhaps he?ll have need of a tour guide.?

?Okay,? she agreed happily. She kissed Alfred on the cheek and waved to Dick before leaving the kitchen.

?So what?s your impression of this guy, Al?? Dick asked.

?I think he?s going to make life very interesting around here for awhile.?

Dick smiled. ?Oh, like it was dull before.?

?Here you go, sir.? Alfred set a tray down on Obi-Wan?s lap. On it were a cup containing a steaming transparent brown drink and a bowl of hot golden liquid with small beige, green, and orange chunks floating in it. He shot Bruce an inquiring look.

Bruce nodded slightly, and Alfred smiled. ?It?s not a very filling meal I?m afraid, Master Obi-Wan,? Alfred said in an apologetic voice, ?but the doctor left instructions that you were to eat lightly for the first few days.?

Obi-Wan studied the sparse-looking meal and then gave Alfred a slight nod. ?I?m certain it will be adequate.?

Alfred cleared his throat. ?Yes? however, the doctor also didn?t expect you to be up and around for several days, so perhaps we might amend those directives a bit.?

?Thank you, Alfred.? Obi-Wan flashed him a genuine smile. ?This is the last time you?ll have to wait on me, I promise.?

Bruce chuckled from where he still sat at the bottom of the bed with his back to the footboard. ?Don?t count on it. Alfred prides himself on taking good care of all of us.?

?Well then.? Alfred shot Bruce a disapproving look. ?I shall leave you to your meal.?

Obi-Wan ducked his head in order to hide a smile. He looked at the contents of the tray with some confusion.

?It?s called chicken soup.? Bruce leaned closer and picked up a short silver wand with a small concave protrusion and handed to Obi-Wan. ?You use the spoon to dip it into your mouth. Don?t they have spoons and soup whe

2. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Uh-oh, Bruce and Dick's anonymity may cause problems with their Jedi guest. Hopefully more soon.

3. Alasse_Earfalas

Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Master star 2

Mar 6, 2008
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

I loved your description of the chicken soup and spoon. Also, Dick's reaction to Obi's not knowing who Batman & Robin are was great.

=D==D==D=

Edit: Doesn't Yoda make soup (or something like it) for him & Luke in ESB?

4. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Maybe Obi-Wan gave Yoda the recipe when he got back home. [face_mischief] LOL! Thanks for posting.

Welcome ZaraValinor! Glad you're enjoying the story.

5. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    ?Wait a minute!? Dick exclaimed. ?You don?t know who Batman is??

?No,? Obi-Wan said. ?Should I??

Dick?s eyebrows rose and his mouth dropped open a moment. ?You?re kidding, right??

?No. I assure you, I am quite serious.?

?You?ve never heard of Batman and Robin? The Caped Crusaders? The Dynamic Duo??

?No, I?m sorry.?

Dick?s eyes widened more in obvious surprise. ?What planet are you from??

Obi-Wan looked at Bruce then back at Dick. ?Coruscant.?

Priceless! What an awesome update-- a totally, awesome, completely cool update! I can't wait to see what's next!

6. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Loved the update! :D

?Uh? it?s not really accessible at the moment,? Bruce said.

Obi-Wan released his frustration into the Force at another obvious prevarication. ?I thought you said you had it.?

?Well, actually, Batman has it. I?ll have to ask him to move it to one of my garages.?

Yet another lie. Perhaps I?m not as safe here as I presumed. ?Who is this Batman person, and why does he have my fighter??

Poor Obi-Wan, now he thinks he's fallen in with a bunch of pathological liars! [face_liarliar]

Dick?s eyes widened more in obvious surprise. ?What planet are you from??

Obi-Wan looked at Bruce then back at Dick. ?Coruscant.?
    [face_laugh] I can't wait to see Dick's reaction to that!

I can't wait for more! :D

7. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Ah, such a funny chapter[face_laugh] Obi-Wan sounds thoroughly confused and knows he is being lied to and Dick is shocked that Obi doesn't know about them.

Bruce better start telling Obi the truth soon, or they
    may have problems[face_shame_on_you]

I think Yoda made some kind of stew and you eat it with a pronged instrument.
    (Fork);)
    Obi should snoop around and find their Batcave.;)o_O

Did I tell you I love this story[:D]

8. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks all for the lovely feedback. Here's more of the confrontation.

Chapter 6 ? Believe It or Not

Dick stared at Obi-Wan a long moment, not quite believing what he?d just heard. Then he smiled as realization dawned on him. ?Good one. You really had me going for a minute there.?

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow at him, but his face remained serious. He looked at Bruce. ?You didn?t tell him??

Man, this guy just doesn?t know when to quit. ?Enough, okay?? Dick said. ?It was cute at first, but not any more. So just drop the act, and tell us where you?re from.?

Obi-Wan, however, continued to stare at Bruce. The sound of Bruce clearing his throat drew Dick?s attention that way as well.

?The fact is, Obi-Wan,? Bruce said. ?I?m not sure I completely believe you myself.?

?Is that why you won?t allow me to see my fighter??

Bruce frowned. ?I told you it wasn?t available right now.?

?So you say.?

Dick looked back and forth between the two. ?Hold on!? He turned to Obi-Wan. ?You really believe you?re from another planet? That?s crazy!?

?Diplomatic, Dick.?

?Come on, Bruce. You gotta admit??

Obi-Wan looked truly perplexed. ?Why must you assume I am insane if I say I am from another planet??

Robin gestured toward Obi-Wan with his hand. ?Point!?

?I beg your pardon??

?To be fair,? Bruce said, "there are some indications that what Obi-Wan says may be true.?

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow at Bruce. ?Evidently, not enough to truly convince you.?

?You?ll forgive me if your story sounds a bit farfetched.?

An irritated look crossed Obi-Wan?s face, but quickly faded to an unreadable expression. Dick crossed his arms. This guy needs to loosen up. ?Why don?t you convince us then.?

Obi-Wan remained silent a moment, but didn?t break eye contact. ?Very well.? He stood and turned to Bruce. ?You say my fighter is not accessible.?

Bruce stood as well. ?Yes.?

?I know that it is.?

Bruce lifted his chin. ?You doubt I?m telling the truth??

Obi-Wan?s gaze locked with his. ?Not doubt; I know you?re not. Your thoughts betray you.?

?Really? And what do my thoughts tell you.?

A slight grin appeared on Obi-Wan?s face. Somehow, that unsettled Dick more than a blank look.

?Very well,? Obi-Wan said. ?Your thoughts tell me that my fighter may be found in a large cavern located below this house. There is a closet just off the kitchen with a hidden door at its back. Behind the door are steps leading down to the cavern.?

Dick stood up, his hands fisted at his sides. ?How do you know that??

Obi-Wan glanced at him, then looked back at Bruce. ?I take it I am correct??

Bruce?s gaze flicked to Dick, then to just over Obi-Wan?s shoulder, but his face betrayed none of his thoughts. Dick took his cue from that and stepped back behind the sofa, toward the entryway to the foyer.

?There is no need to block the exit,? Obi-Wan said without even a look in Dick?s direction. ?I assure you I am going nowhere without my fighter.?

Bruce rubbed his hand over his mouth and chin. Dick knew that meant to stand ready but let Bruce handle things for now.

?I?d like you to answer Dick?s question,? Bruce said. ?How do you know about something that is a closely guarded secret known to only the four members of this household??

Obi-Wan?s stance relaxed a fraction. ?As I said, your thoughts betrayed you.?

Bruce smirked, a sure sign this confrontation grated on his nerves. ?Care to be a little more specific??

Obi-Wan inclined his head. ?Very well; if that is what you wish. Although I do not make it a practice to pry into the minds of others, I cannot help but hear your thoughts when you bombard me with them.? He sat back down and clasped his hands in his lap. ?I know you have not been truthful with me about quite a few things.? He looked over his shoulder at Dick. ?About not meeting you on the road, for instance.? He looked back at Bruce. ?About my fighter not being accessible.? He drew in a deep breath. ?And I know that this Batman and R

9. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    I absolutely adore Obi-Wan turning the tables on Bruce. Eidetic memory and deductive skills against the power of the Force. It will be a wonderful challenge.

10. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, ZaraValinor! I'm having all kinds of fun with this. I think Bruce is about ready to accept Obi-Wan's story. Uh oh, does that mean Robin's about to get some competition as Batman's sidekick? :confused: [face_thinking] Tune in tomorrow to find out what happens.

11. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    I am really enjoying this.

Even your chapter titles make me laugh - Move over Robin [face_laugh] I see a little friction coming there.

Great job and nicely written. =D=

azizah

12. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Another fantastic update! :D

Heh heh, Dick and Bruce had better watch themselves! No more lies to Obi-Wan! [face_shame_on_you]

I'm very curious to see if Robin really is about to get some competition, I hope he isn't the jealous type! [face_worried]

I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow's update! :D [face_dancing]

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    that's what you get with a Jedi in the house, no secrets to hide anymore.

Loved the update=D==D=

14. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

I told you so Bruce! You cannot hide anything from a Jedi.

I wonder if they will stop lieing to Obi-Wan now.

I know Bruce is a very private man but hey! he has been outdone by a mere Padawan.

Excellent.=D= Please add me to your PM list my friend.

15. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks all for the kind feedback. I love all the speculation. More later in the day. I have a general idea of where this story is going, but not the details of how to get there. Oh well, it will come to me as I write. :)

16. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Chapter Seven - Make Room For Obi

Bruce stared hard at Obi-Wan, who didn?t so much as twitch. Suddenly, he grinned. ?I think he really is telling the truth, Dick.?

?But?.?

Bruce held up his hand. ?Think about it. No one, and I mean no one, outside this household knows what he just told us. We know that to be fact. Then there is his remarkable healing ability that seems to have returned him to health weeks before Dr. Sanderson said, and, of course, his fighter.? He looked at Dick. ?If you think about it, it?s not so hard to accept that he?s from outer space. After all, he?s not the only alien we?ve ever encountered.?

Obi-Wan bowed to Bruce but wondered who he was referring to. He pushed the thought to the back of his mind, wanting to tend to more important matters. ?I?m certainly glad you finally believe me. Now? may I see my fighter? I would like to determine if I can affect repairs here. If so, I may be able to return to my own world without waiting for my master to rescue me.?

Dick rolled his eyes. Talk about laying it on thick.

Obi-Wan turned around and looked at Dick. ?I assure you, my intentions are quite sincere.?

Dick felt his face heat up with embarrassment as well as his rising irritation at this oh-so-perfect supposed alien. Doesn?t this guy ever lose his cool?

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow. ?A Jedi maintains control over his emotions at all times.?

?Stay out of my head!? Dick snapped. He whirled around and stalked from the room. He needed to clear his head of this confusion and anger that made him feel emotionally off balanced. A session on the obstacle course might do the trick. He headed for the garage to retrieve one of the stunt cycles Bruce kept for just such a purpose.

Obi-Wan turned to Bruce. ?I apologize if I upset him. I had no intention?.?

Bruce held up his hand. ?Dick has a bit of a temper at times, especially when he feels threatened.?

?But I?.?

?Forgive me,? Bruce interrupted a second time. ?I phrased that poorly. I?m not blaming you.? He drew in a deep breath. ?Dick lost his parents when he was a young teenager. They were circus acrobats and someone sabotaged the trapeze. Dick was able to grab onto a security line but had to watch his parents plunge to their deaths. He tends to feel a bit jealous when someone horns in on his time with me. I spend little enough time with him as it is.?

Obi-Wan thought back to the friends he?d watched die and nearly die when he was younger?and how he?d misinterpreted Qui-Gon?s seeming ambivalence, back when they were unsure of each other. ?He is insecure of his place with you.?

Bruce shook his head, staring at the door through which Dick had exited. ?I don?t think it?s that drastic. Oh, he did at first, but that was six years ago. I?m not a very demonstrative man, but he knows he?ll always have a place at my side.?

Obi-Wan cocked an eyebrow at him. ?Does he??

The sound of feet skipping down the steps interrupted their conversation. A young woman with a long blond hair pulled back in a tail practically bounced into the room. ?Hi Bruce!? She extended her hand to Obi-Wan. ?Hi! You must be the guest I?ve heard so much about. I?m Barbara.?

Obi-Wan grasped her hand and bowed. ?I?m pleased to make your acquaintance, Mistress Barbara. My name is Obi-Wan Kenobi.? He sensed shocked surprise coming from her and wondered if he?d done something wrong, but when he straightened up and looked at her, she had a wide smile on her face.

?My, such a gentleman. I don?t get much of that here?what with all the testosterone floating around.? She waggled her eyebrows at Bruce. ?Obi-Wan, would you like a tour of Wayne Manor? We wouldn?t want you getting lost in this old mausoleum.?

?I would appreciate that. Perhaps you can take me to my fighter.?

Barbara shot an enquiring look at Bruce.

?Why don?t you let Barbara show you around, Obi-Wan. I?ve got some business to attend to in Gotham City. I?ll take you to your fighter when I get back.?

Obi-Wan sensed B

17. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    Dick is already jealous of Obi-Wan in regards to Bruce, what will he feel when Barbara is showing interest in the 'alien'.

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely update and now Obi-Wan has some explaining to do? or Barbara?

19. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    A good stopping place?! It's another cliffie! [face_shame_on_you] [face_laugh]

I wonder what Barbara thinks of Obi-Wan now? I hope he can convince her he's not a threat.

Is Dick going to have even more reason to be jealous of Obi now? [face_thinking]

Can't wait for more, I love this story! :D

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004

Ha, Ha now Barbara is confused, and wondering "who is this guy"[face_laugh]

Of course you have made me happy once again with another post.[face_love]

great job =D=

21. Quigonjecca

Jul 2, 2007
    This is perfect-- calm, ever-composed Obi-Wan stuck on our poor planet of mass confusion and no Force sensitives. :p It just keeps getting better!

22. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    [face_coffee]
    This next post should answer your question.

[face_monkey]
    Evidently, Barbara believes in acting first and asking questions later.

@};-
    Do read on to get some answers.

[face_good_luck]
    Thanks very much. Read on for more of Barbara's reaction.

[face_alien_1]
    Just wait. It gets even better.

Thanks all for the kind feedback. Glad you're enjoying this so much. Here's the next chapter

Chapter 8 ? This Place Gives Me a Headache

Obi-Wan sensed the kick before Barbara?s foot every left the ground. He ducked just before she made contact with his head and spun away from her. Two handsprings brought her within range again. He used his forearm to knock her punch off to the side then flipped backward. ?Mistress Barbara! Please stop.?

Barbara ignored him and aimed a front kick at his knee.

Obi-Wan pivoted on his other foot and quickly turned out of the path of the strike. ?Please, Barbara. Stop this!?

Kick? punch? handspring? chop. Obi-Wan easily blocked each attack. He could have taken her down at any time, but didn?t want to risk hurting her. Instead, he flipped over her head, swung around and extended his hand. The Force sprang to his command, levitating Barbara and holding her a foot off the ground. She jerked her body back and forth, trying to break free.

?Hold still!? Obi-Wan shouted. ?I mean you no harm.?

?Leave her alone!? Dick barreled into him.

Obi-Wan released his Force hold on Barbara and grabbed Dick?s shoulders. He used the momentum of their fall to throw the other man over his head.

?Stop this nonsense at once!?

Alfred stood in the kitchen doorway, hands on hips. His gaze shift to just past Obi-Wan?s right shoulder. ?Barbara, NO!?

Obi-Wan turned his head just as Barbara?s foot impacted with his temple. Pain ripped through him, oblivion close on its heels.

?I am very disappointed in the two of you, behaving like children.? Alfred?s voice greeted Obi-Wan?s ascent back to consciousness. He must have only been out a few minutes, as he was still lying in the wet grass. Pain reverberated through his skull. He moaned, sat up and grabbed his head. Some knelt beside him. A hand rested on his shoulder. Obi-Wan leaned forward and promptly spilled the contents of his stomach into the person?s lap just before blacking out again.

He awoke a second time in that same bedroom. I certainly am making a habit of this. Pain throbbed inside his skull in time to his heartbeat; a dull roaring echoed in his ears. Force, someone shoot this Sith-spawned Wookie trying to pound his way out of my head.

The mattress dipped. He glanced up to find Barbara seated beside him. He grabbed his bandaged head. ?Drop kicked by a girl while my head was turned. Garen and Reeft will never let me hear the end of it.?

?Sorry about that,? Barbara said. ?I didn?t know you knew about us, but Bruce and Uncle Alfred explained everything to me.? She grinned. ?Don?t worry; I?ll take it easier on you next time.?

Obi-Wan returned the smile. ?

23. ZaraValinor

May 31, 2002
    It's going to be awhile before Dick and Obi-Wan are friends. Obi-Wan just can't stay awya from blonds, can he?

Can't wait to see Obi-Wan in the batcave.

24. Quigonjecca

Jul 2, 2007
    Oooh! Obi and the Batcave... let's see, Batman, Robin and... Hawk? Falcon? Eagle? Mynock? :p Now you've got me thinking about Obi's super hero name!

Can't wait to see the next chapter!

25. Alasse_Earfalas

Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Master star 2

Mar 6, 2008
    You post too often!! [face_frustrated] jk [face_peace]

Force, someone shoot this Sith-spawned Wookie trying to pound his way out of my head.

Very nice use of SW-lingo! =D= :-B

?Drop kicked by a girl while my head was turned. Garen and Reeft will never let me hear the end of it.?

Poor Obi. How humiliating. [face_blush] :p

?My head hasn?t felt this bad since one of my age-mates shoved me and I fell backward over Master Yaddle and down a flight of steps when I was six.?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I about died laughing when I read this! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Looking forward to more! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.