Before "Holy Force, Batman!" Crossover/AU, JA, H/C, Qui/Obi-angst (2008 Winner Best Crossover!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Alasse_Earfalas Jedi Knight

star 2
    Aww, how sweet of Yoda! [face_love]

Sorry I haven't been able to read for awhile, I do love where you've taken this story.

Looking forward to more! =D=
  2. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Hee hee Dick if you know what is good for you listen to Yoda you will!!
  3. Sabriel_Orion Jedi Knight

star 1
    I kinda was slacking on reading the past few chapters, so first things first, good job. XD

I wonder what Yoda is going to do with Dick to help him.

I'm looking forward to th next chapter!
  4. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    You know I was just thinking that also.[face_thinking] If Dick has a problem,
    well Bruce is in deeper trouble because I do believe he blames himself
    for not saving his own parents.:_|

Yoda helps everyone, and if he can keep Qui-Gon in line I am
    sure he can help Batman and Robin.o_O

another tick of approval, great story.=D=
  5. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Aww, poor Dick. :( That was really sad when he admitted that he hadn't wanted Obi-Wan to save him. :_|

I can't wait to see what Yoda has in mind for Dick, I really hope it helps him! [face_praying]
  6. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    Dick really needs help. Maybe the Force will help?

I rather enjoyed Yoda rescuing Alfred from Two Face. Hah! He never knew what hit him. [face_laugh]
  7. p_stotts Force Ghost

star 4
    This is what happens when you try writing 3 stories at the same time -- short posts. Sorry, more will come tomorrow... hopefully the final post. And thanks for all the great feedback. Glad you guys are still enjoying the story.

Chapter 19 ? Painful Memories

Dick stared at Yoda, waiting for an answer. The Jedi master?s large eyes were like pools of serenity. He suspected that, given enough time, he could fall asleep looking into those eyes.

?Someplace more comfortable you would feel??

Dick glanced around the small medical bay. ?Uh, yeah. I can think of a few places.?

?Choose one, you should, and go there we will.?

?What about Obi-Wan?? He glanced at the sleeping man. ?Shouldn?t we stay here until Qui-Gon wakes up??

?Know, Qui-Gon will, if needs him Obi-Wan does.? He hobbled into the passageway. ?Come. A healing sleep Obi-Wan needs. Disturb him we should not.?

Dick lay stretched out on top the covers of his bed, staring up at the midnight-blue canopy. Of the places he?d considered coming for this? whatever it was they were about to do? his bedroom was the only place that afforded privacy. If I?m gonna freak out, at least the others won?t be around to see it. He darted a glance at Yoda and gulped. Of course, I might be looking at this all wrong.

?Close your eyes,? Yoda said.

He did as instructed. Fingers gently stroked across his forehead, followed immediately by soothing waves of peacefulness. Dick sighed and let himself sink into the feeling.

?Clear your mind and show you I will.?

?What?? Dick?s eyes flew open. He struggled to sit up, but found himself held in place by some invisible force. ?Let me go!? Immediately the barrier dissipated, and he shot out of bed. ?What are you trying to do to me??

?Hmph. Help you I cannot if relax you will not.?

Dick crossed his arms over his chest. ?Answer my question.?

?Remember you your parents? deaths??

?What?! Of course I do!? Images flitted through his memory ? images of the horrified looks on his parents? faces as they plunged to their deaths ? images of him clinging to a lifeline, frozen in place, staring at their still, crushed bodies. He closed his eyes and turned away from the unwanted memories. ?I remember ever last detail.?

?Thought about it often you have??

Dick whirled around and faced Yoda. Confusion and pain churned in his gut. ?YES! Why are you asking me this??

Yoda blinked, but otherwise didn?t react to his outburst. ?Think you could have saved them, do you??

?Robin could have saved them.?

?Robin was not there. Save them how could you??

?I DON?T KNOW! Okay? I just know there had to be a way, but I was too much of a coward to even try.?

Yoda shook his head. ?Fear you did not feel. Shock you felt. Surprise you felt. Fear? This you did not feel.?

Dick gritted his teeth. ?How do you know? You weren?t there.?

?There the Force was. Show you I can what It reveals to me.?

TBC

***Tomorrow -- Acceptance
  8. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Yeah Yoda show him and help him. =D=
  9. Sabriel_Orion Jedi Knight

star 1
    Gah. So short. :/

I can't wait for the next chapter!
  10. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Come on Dick, let Yoda help you! [face_praying]

I can't wait to read how this turns out! :D
  11. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    Acepting that you couldn't do anything is one of the best things a person can do to get on the road to recovery.
  12. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4

Yoda can be quite frustrating.o_O
    Come on Dick let it all out Yoda wont go away until you do.[face_not_talking]

great work=D=
  13. p_stotts Force Ghost

star 4
    Final installment! Thanks for taking this ride with me and for all your support and positive feedback. The ending of this isn't canon, I'm sure, but this is an AU story -- so this is my take on it. As always, enjoy. :)

Chapter 20 ? Acceptance

Yoda leaned closer and placed his hand on Dick?s shoulder.

Dick closed his eyes as images of that day assailed him. I look like a little kid! I don?t remember being that young. Events played out, as he knew they would, but it was still painful to watch, and he couldn?t help screaming out his denial of the events, just as the image of his younger self did. When the images ceased, he opened his eyes to take in Yoda?s expression of sympathy.

?Help them no one could. Their time it was.?

Dick suddenly realized he was crying and swiped the tears away. ?But why didn?t I die with them that day??

?Your time it was not. Your destiny it was not.?

A loud knock sounded on the door. ?Dick?? Bruce?s voice filtered through the heavy oak. ?You okay in there? I heard shouting.?

Yoda gestured toward the door, which swung open, seemingly of its own accord.

Bruce walked over to Dick, a look of worry on his face. ?Are you all right?? He glanced at Yoda. ?What?s going on in here??

Dick swallowed heavily. ?Yoda showed me what happened when my parents were killed.? He shrugged. ?You know, from a more objective perspective.?

Bruce looked at Yoda and raised one eyebrow. ?Really? And just how did you that, since you weren?t there??

?There, the Force was.? Yoda?s ears dipped a tad. ?There, you were as well.?

Dick?s head whipped around, his eyes wide. ?What??

Bruce sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. ?I was there that day.? He looked at Yoda. ?But how did you know that??

?Why didn?t you ever tell me?? Dick asked in a little-boy-lost voice.

Bruce?s gaze dipped to Dick?s chest, then went back to his face. ?Guilt, I guess.? He shook his head. ?I was in the audience. I sensed something wasn?t right, but I couldn?t spot anything. If I had, maybe I could have saved them.? He grabbed Dick?s hand. ?I would give anything if I could have saved them for you.?

Yoda made an impatient sound. ?Nothing could either of you do.? He gently poked Bruce?s chest with his gimmer stick. ?Save your own parents, you could not. Save Dick?s parents, you could not.? He sat back and gestured between the two men. ?Meant to be together you are. Alone you are too weak, too vulnerable. Only together can you overcome the dark side.?

Dick drew in a shaky breath. If Bruce was there and couldn?t save his parents, then how could he, a little boy, have saved them? He looked at Yoda and nodded. ?Thank you for showing me. Maybe now I can start to let go of this guilt I?ve carried around with me all these years.?

Yoda leaned closer. ?Wise that is. Guilt is of the dark side. Let go of it you must, or destroy you it will. Destroyed you already it would have, if not for Obi-Wan.?

Forty years later:

Dick straightened up from laying the bouquet of roses on his mother?s grave. ?Happy birthday, Mom. I still miss you and Dad... every day.? He looked down at his hands, gnarled with age. ?It still hurts, even after all these years.? He snorted. ?Doc says it won?t be long now until I see you again.?

Of all the foes he?d faced over the years, cancer had been the only one he couldn?t defeat. He glanced over several rows of headstones to the Wayne Family plot. They?d buried Alfred there eight years after their encounter with Obi-Wan and his fellow Jedi. Not a year after that, Barbara, still grieving the loss, had moved to England, where she fell in love with an Oxford professor. That union had produced a long and happy marriage and a son who?d ended up taking after his mother more than she was comfortable with.

They hadn?t seen as much of each other over the years as they?d have liked, but she did make it back for Bruce?s funeral. He died peacefully in his sleep of a brain aneurism at the age of sixty-fiv
  14. Valairy Scot Chosen One

star 6
    Aw, excellent (except no Qui-Obi mush).

Dick looked up at the sky. I wonder who Gary will choose as Robin this time? He smiled. Gary?s former college roommate and still close friend was a martial arts expert, in addition to being a staunch defender of the rights of victims of violent crimes.

He shook his head and walked toward where his driver waited for him by the limousine. Whoever Gary picked, that was Gary?s decision. Dick had taken care of his end of the deal by training the kid to succeed him not only as the head of Wayne Industries, but as Batman ? and Gary had made him proud.

He closed his eyes as the limousine pulled out of the cemetery. Whatever happened now, Dick was at peace with it. Obi-Wan Kenobi had seen to that.

The End

Closure. Peace.

Beautiful ending.
  15. Nienna_Narmolanya Jedi Master

star 4
    Aww. A truly touching ending. :) I'm glad Dick finally came to terms with his grief and guilt with Obi-Wan and Yoda's help. I especially liked the epilogue and getting to see a snapshot of what life became for the dynamic duo. It's comforting to know that Dick trained a successor and mantle of Batman and Robin will be passed on.

=D= I really enjoyed this, p_stotts. I wish it could have been longer. *waves hand vaguely* You should write more SW/Batman crossovers... :p
  16. Sabriel_Orion Jedi Knight

star 1
    I love how you ended it. Great job. :D
  17. Bastet Jedi Master

star 4
    Aww, that was great! [face_love]

I'm so glad Dick was finally able to let go of all that guilt and find peace, thanks to Yoda, and of course Obi-Wan. [face_love]

I really loved that epilogue-- Whatever happened now, Dick was at peace with it. Obi-Wan Kenobi had seen to that. [face_love]

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us, p_stotts! I very much enjoyed it! :D =D= @};-
  18. earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One

star 6
    Lovely ending to a very enjoyable story

=D==D==D=
  19. Gkilkenny Force Ghost

star 4
    What a wonderful ride I love Batman almost as much as Obi-Wan, almost.[face_love]

Thanks for giving us a great story to read.=D=
  20. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    That was a surprise twist to the plot. I liked the idea that Obi-Wan had to go there to help Robin
  21. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Liked the ending. Good story :D
  22. Lady_Misty Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved the ending. Warm and fuzzy feelings.:)
  23. bek Force Ghost

star 4
    That was a perfect ending! =D=

Wonderful job with this! This was the first cross-over I ever read, got all the way through, and completely enjoyed! Thank you. :)

24. p_stotts Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks, everyone, for all the generous feedback. I'm so glad you liked the story. Now I've got to get to work on the next post for The Portal, but that probably won't get posted until tomorrow.
  25. ClaudiaR Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    very nice!

i am glad I waited it to be complete before reading it...
    it was lovely!

Though I wish you had expanded the Alfred relate to Obi-wan comment...

it seemed to be promising or at least hint of some empathic talent in
    Obi's part as well...
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.