main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holy Hell! An NDA for ILM on episodes 7,8, & 9!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Gothic_Yoda, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gothic_Yoda

Gothic_Yoda Jedi Master star 2

Aug 29, 2003
    The implications to this are staggering to say the least!

Let's for one second put away our skepticism and embrace the thought of sequals to Star Wars. Is it possible? could they land Harrison Ford? Would Carrie Fisher go on a diet?

And if sdo, what would be the setting to this? The arch nemisis? (besides Thrawn and other EU stuff)..

This bit of news is very startling! Dare we hope, or do we even want? I havn't made up my mind yet. What are your thoughts?

Gothic Yoda

current song: Velvet Acid Christ; Cyber Communist Plotting Red Revolt

At this point this is nothing but than mere speculation, which is against the rules as you are aware. I can understand your reasoning for posting it here but this forum is for in-depth discussion of the current saga. Hopefully this will clear up any existing confusion.

2. Jedihillis

Jedihillis Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    What are NDA's? Sorry i'm uninformed.

3. darth-dom

darth-dom Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2000
    Non Disclosure Agreements.

It means ILMers aren't allowed to talk about Eps 7,8 & 9. Interesting, huh?

:D

If we do indeed take this to mean they may be in the pipeline... I'm not sure what I feel about that. GL won't want to spend another 10 years on a SW trilogy. I think if it happens he'll do them back to back and release one a year.

4. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I really don't know what to think... Could it be possiable? I really don't know

This news has certainly thrown me back a step or so!

5. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I really don't want a sequel trilogy to be honest. Where would they go with it?

The saga is supposed to be about Anakin. He's the main character. They would have to make the saga about another main character, and there's really no one who fits that bill. Can't be Luke or Leia, since they weren't in the first 3 movies. The only character who could possibly span all 9 movies would be Palpatine, if they took the EU route and brought him back, but then that would be making the villian the main character, which would be awkward.

6. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    My guess is that this has something to do with the TV series that's going to air sometime after episode 3. Instead of us getting the sequel trilogy in movie form, we may be getting it in the form of a TV series.

Personaly, I do want more Star Wars movies, but I'd much rather the Skywalker Saga be left alone and instead we get a new saga about the ancient Jedi VS. the Sith, or maybe even young Yoda.

7. DarthBinderClip

DarthBinderClip Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002
    There are lots of directions that George could take the story of Anakin. Just because he is dead doesn?t mean that he can?t be in the story, Obi-wan died in episode 4 and he was in it for 5 & 6. Maybe that is another reason that Hayden was included in the new release of ROTJ, so there would be continunity in episodes 7, 8 & 9.

8. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Episode 7: The Gungan Always Rings Twice

Lucas has said he doesn't want to do Star Wars forever. Perhaps he will entrust other directors with himself as Executive Producer and Writer.

Given the layoffs at LA, I doubt we'll be seeing some kind of sequel-videogame.

My bet is either:
    1. Movie: No EU stuff as it has been written; Lucas will do things his way and craft what stories he wants; Outsource to different directors and make them back-to-back; If Carrie Fisher or anyone else like that is involved, I hope they look old and fat and play some tertiary roles

2. TV Series: Given the success of The Clone Wars cartoon, maybe we'll see 4-6 hour live action or animated mini-series for each Episode

9. Nrf-Hrdr

Nrf-Hrdr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 3, 2000
    I've long been resigned to the fact that Star Wars is inevitably going to be franchised into oblivion, so i'm not too surprised about these rumours. All I can say is, theatricaly releasing any more Star Wars films would be a terrible, terrible thing to do.

10. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't believe they will be more star wars movies after episode 3, its over. I don't know who came up with the nda rumor, but thats all it is. GL stated no more star wars movies after E-3, later collaborated with S. Sansweet. No, star wars is going to be live action tv, and animation. Maybe even cgi movies direct to dvd kind of thing. I also don't want to see another set of movies in the theater about the same thing: a galaxy falls, jedi in need of self-reflection, a power faction takes over, the dark siders want revenge, come on, how many more of these types of stoires can you really tell before becoming repetitive. also, for lack of a better term, star wars eu is here to stay. Thats were star wars will continue the next several years. Look at the sucess that the novels, comic books, video games, and cartoon series have had? and all that is part of merchandising, and merchandising brings money, about 4 billion dollars for the star wars franchise. So eu is here to stay and it will continue and be part of the new tv series when it comes out.

11. Darth_Marc

Darth_Marc Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 21, 2002
    Can continue with Luke Skywalker....Hamill has time on his hands...

12. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    No, I hope not. It ends with E-3, and thats the way it should end, at the top.

13. Storm5

Storm5 Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2000
    A George Lucas Quote:

"The first film came out and was a giant hit," he added, "and the sequels became possible. Then people suggested we could do more than three, so I thought, 'Gee, I can do these back stories, too.' That's where the 'Chapter IV' came in. Then everyone said, 'Well, are you going to do sequels to the first three?' But that was an afterthought. I don't have scripts on those stories. The only notion on that was, wouldn't it be fun to get all the actors to come back when they're sixty or seventy years old and make three more about them as old people. That's how far that has gone, but the first six will definitely get finished."

14. Storm5

May 9, 2000
    This is how George Lucas and Gary Kurtz had planned the saga before 1980:

EPISODE 1:
    Was to focus on the origins of the Jedi Knights and how they are initiated and trained

EPISODE 2:
    Introduction and development of Obi-Wan Kenobi

EPISODE 3:
    Introduction and life of Vader

EPISODE 4:
    There were seven different drafts of the film. At one point, they pursued buying the rights to
    Hidden Fortress because of the strong similarities. At one point, Luke was a female, Han was Luke's
    brother, Luke's father was the one in prison (interesting point for some debates) and the film
    featured 40 wookies

EPISODE 5:
    Once written, the screenplay of Empire is almost exactly what is seen on screen. The only cut scenes
    were those involving wampas in the rebel base (cut because of time and unsolved technical glitches)
    and about two minutes of Luke/Yoda Jedi training with no real dialog.

EPISODE 6:
    Leia was to be elected "Queen of her people" leaving her isolated. Han was to die. Luke confronted
    Vader and went on with his life alone. Leia was not to be Luke's sister.

EPISODE 7:
    Third trilogy was to focus on Luke's life as a Jedi, with very few details planned out.

EPISODE 8:
    Luke's sister (not Leia) appears from another part of the galaxy.

EPISODE 9:
    First appearance of the Emperor. "

15. Storm5

May 9, 2000
    Here's another interesting excerpt from a Lucas Interview in Time magazine May 19th, 1980:

"The last three episodes
    involve the rebuilding of the republic."

"Only two of the main characters will appear in all nine films,
    and they are the robots, Artoo Detoo and See Threepio. Says Lucas:
    "In effect, the story will be told through their eyes."

16. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm not interested in a sequel trilogy.
    Star Wars is the story of Anakin and that story ends in ROTJ. I would have been all for a sequel trilogy if it dealt with Luke finding his sister and going after the Emperor. However they wrapped it all up in ROTJ.

-Seldon

17. Darth_Michael

Darth_Michael Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 24, 2002
    About as likly as a Windows without any bugs. Liklier then a bugfree IE, but still well into the deep end.

The droids being the main guys, that thought crossed my mind as well.

GLs problem with a sequel: He would have to at least recognize the EU. Post Vong and Post NJO books is the best shot, but still, lot has changed and he would not get around it.

18. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    I don't know if I buy this, BUT:

A nine part story could easily be strung together. The Story would be about the rise, fall and rebirth of the republic, and how the Skywalker family was destined to witness it all ( first anakin, then luke, then to some extent leia). The skywalker family would be the main characters, (think of luke as an extension of anakin), and the droids could be in it too.

It definately wouldn't be only about anakin at that point. It would need to evolve.

19. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I would approach such films as I would approach EU. If it's not Lucas in control, then it isn't really canon to me.

But more Star Wars movies could be interesting taken as a "what if" kind of story.

Who knows, maybe Lucas will control enough to make this good EU.

That is if these episodes are ever made.

I could see Speilburg being involved as he apparently really wanted to direct one of the prequels.

I just hope he doesn't kiddy-fi everything. Lucas manages to balance everything out well, but Speilburg tends to get overly sentimental and sappy sometimes.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If live action SW is to continue, I would much prefer a new set of films rather than a televison series. If this rumor has merit, then hopefully it deals with the real deal, and not some watered down tv show.

21. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree, Go-Mer. He didn't do that on Indy, though.

22. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    And, of course, this may just be a "shut up" order to the employees because - once ROTS hits the screens - I'm sure the old "how about Episodes 7-9" debate will rise up...no doubt the media will be pressing for info on future SW stuff and this is their way of saying, "Nobody even speculates on something *not* happening without Lucas saying so himself."

It'd be nice to see some more serialized adventures in the SW universe, but (upon reflection) I agree with most people it seems unlikely. Maybe a TV show, though....

23. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Alien vs. Jedi vs. Predator vs. The Jetsons

24. PessimistPanaka

PessimistPanaka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 17, 2004
    I say bring it on. All of the original key players are still young enough. Lucas has said that 7,8,9's plots would revolve around a character not seen since episode 3...then again...he said this a long time ago, before he nixed the sequel trilogy as a possibility. Maybe he will give Spielberg his chance finally. He wanted to direct Attack of the Clones. Who knows. It would be sweet though.

25. Chris Knight

Chris Knight TFN Humor Staff star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    A few years ago (four actually, way before AOTC :)) when the idea for the Virtual Sequels hit, I'd been on a philosophical "thinking binge" about the whole saga and what a sequel trilogy might have been like. I also took into consideration some things that had been said over the years about what sequels would entail (like Lucas saying back in '87 that Luke would get a girlfriend sometime in Episodes 7-9) and drew from real historical stuff.

My idea for the sequel trilogy had no Sith (they're vanquished, extinct, not coming back and doing so would cheapen Anakin's sacrifice in ROTJ so as to make it moot), but there was a bad guy who was founded in an earlier chapter of the saga (if you ponder the mythic origins of Merlin, you'll be hitting the right cylinders). Luke was going to be a main player but he didn't really enter the picture until Episode 8 and he spent most of 7 "behind the scenes" while other things were happening. It would have been thirty years after ROTJ so I figured he must have been married by now, so what better wife to give him than Mara Jade? :) NONE of this was taking the EU into consideration, BTW: Mara just seemed the most logical choice of character who would be Luke's wife in any canon.

I took the perspective that the entire saga is a vast morality tale about power. About finding it and then, what do you DO with power when you have it? It would also have to greatly involve the aftermath of the Galactic Civil War: this was almost thirty years of varying conflict that the galaxy had suffered and there is NO recovery from that overnight (the U.S. is just pulling out of Germany now, sixty years after the end of Hitler's regime). How did the Republic fare in setting up a new government (not as well as you'd think)? What to do with billions of stormtroopers that are now aimless and leaderless (this was going to play a HUGE part in Leia's fall from grace, believe it or not)? How did the Jedi come back from extinction? More to the point, would they have learned from the mistakes of Jedi past? These are some VERY big issues that CAN NOT go unresolved in the scope of the saga (IMHO the EU has done a very poor job at addressing them) by just totally leaving things at ROTJ.

Every major character had been accounted for in my take on the sequels: even Jar Jar Binks, who wound up suffering MUCH more cruelty than even his harshest critics could stomach (imagine an aged, scarred and bitter "Boss Jarrius" with a patch over where one eye was cut off at the stalk). Chewbacca was going to be Prime Chieftain of Kashyyyk, but unable to forgive himself after Han died. Leia would have begun Jedi training but eventually was torn between that and politics and little wonder later on that she made the WRONG choice (but one she found redemption for eventually). Artoo and Threepio figured into each chapter as I'd laid it out (they HAD to be there :)). Boba and Jango Fett were both dead and long gone (yes EVEN Boba) but a HUGE part of Episode 7 had to deal with them. In one way or another all the beloved characters were touched upon from across the saga but at the same time it was about the next generation of characters: Luke and Mara's children, the new breed of Jedi, and how even though it was the generation before them that won the freedom, it wasn't necessarily a freedom for themselves. That is always left for the children to discover, and make of it what they will and even make mistakes and learn from.

Oh yeah, and midi-chlorians figured into all of this, too: I tripped over a VERY cool use for them that's deeply rooted in something in literature (if you go back to Merlin and Arthur again you'd again have an idea).

All of this and more was going to tie into not just this imaginary trilogy, but across the entire saga, make it truly multi-generational but also ponder the deeper issues. I look at the prequel trilogy as being about first discovering power and making mistakes with it. The classic trilogy is about learning how to use that power in a way that doesn't utt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.