main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holy Hell! An NDA for ILM on episodes 7,8, & 9!!!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Gothic_Yoda, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    I dont know if this has been mentioned yet, but I'll go for it anyway. I think that if Anakin does appear as Hayden at the end of ROTJ on DVD, Lucas might take advantage of that and have a sequel trilogy starring Hayden. That way it could continue the story of Anakin Skywalker, and make the sequels tie in with the other movies. How the story would work I have no idea, but it just kind of seems possible.

2. Darth Vince

Darth Vince Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2000
    anidanami124, to answer what you said:

1. With all the crap Harrison Ford's putting out, he's obviously a pay-check actor at this point.

2. Pop culture has taught you that only films involving 20-somethings are interesting. But believe it or not, it is actually possible to have a cast of 50-somethings. And GL has said alot of things, evidently right now he's saying "nobody at ILM can talk about Ep. VII-IX".

3. Why would they have to recast the roles? GL said, speaking of Indy "People say 'Is Harrison for too old to play Indy', and that's just silly because...ya know...Indy DOES age, he's not perpetually 40, so how is it possible to be too old to play him?'"

4. When you've got a trilogy that would guaranteed make over a billion dollars, it's hard to use the term "risk" as lightly as you did. And they've taken that "risk" with old Obi-Wan and Dooku, and Sidious for that matter. So that doesn't seem to bother him, this cast is much younger than actors he's used in the past.

What we'd like to see has nothing to do with it. What I'm talking about is a guy who has a 1 billion dollar check that he can cash if he wants to, and all he'd have to do is produce and come up with a story.

Get real. I'm not saying it'll happen, but to say that you think a anyone on earth would have an easy time turning down a billion dollars, that's insane. Even the richest man on the planet's gonna go after that 1 billion.

3. HardcoreLegend

HardcoreLegend Jedi Youngling

Jul 5, 2004
    I would imagine the only way the ST would be successful is if it involved Luke, Vader and Ben. Many have said that the reason people are turned off by the PT is due to their absence. Of course, this is almost impossible.

However, Luke and Vader could be brought back. Luke could die at the end of the first film at the hands of oh, I don't know...you figure something out. Yet, to save his life, he is placed in the Vader suit. Of course not identical to the Vader we are used to, but pretty damn similiar.

This sounds all pretty silly, but any SW trilogy with out Vader would more than likely fail to catch on with anyone outside of the SW fan community.

4. Darth Vince

Apr 16, 2000
    I like that. That would be a really brave choice, to kill off Luke early. Nobody would be expecting it, and there's alot of room for heavy drama in that. We've had 3 films to see him grow up, to see him cut down would be powerfull.

5. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    the real problem i have with this whole idea is not due to actors or money, but simply story. where on earth could it go if Lucas only had a three film arc to work with?? i'll tell you where- anticlimatic dissapointment. SW is the story of Anakin, leave it at that.

6. Darth Vince

Apr 16, 2000
    Anakin had little screen time and no character developement until the end of the 3rd film. It was the story of Luke. If the director of Casablanca says that it's the story of Lazlo, well that's great. But it doesn't necessarily make it true.

With any sequel, there's the question of where to go storywise. Many people say "How can you do Indy 4 when the Nazis are already defeated?" Well, there's enough money to be made to give them a reason to come up with a story.

Star Wars is the story of many characters. The aftermath of the OT leaves plenty of room for more.

7. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    too true, vince. we have the EU after but it's what we have, not what we want. i like the EU, and i wouldn't like to see george go against, but it is his story, we must never forget that.

if luke dies at the start of the saga, that would be good. while it is still the story of the skywalker family, the sequel trilogy will need to be about another skywalker

8. Darth Vince

Apr 16, 2000
    I think what alot of people are missing is that the OT characters are cultural icons.

Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Han Solo, Ladno: you say these names to anybody and they know who you're talking about. But ask someone if they know who Qui-Gon is, or Mace Windu, or Padme, or Count Dooku. The OT characters are part of American culture. They sell themselves, regardless of plot or special effects. Return of the Jedi can end with "and they lived happily ever after" and that's fine. The story can end there. But at the same time, there's more to tell. Does Luke try to rebuild the Jedi Order? Does Leia become a Jedi, and if so how does that change her? What's Han's role in the rebuilding of the republic? He's a fighter, not a beaurocrat lol. Where does Han find a place for himself in peace? And I guess all the EU fans would be disappointed if Luke's romance with Mara was left out.

My god, can you imagine the EU debates on these boards if Lucas did make a sequel trilogy? Man, people would be getting banned right and left lol

9. ProdigyLover

ProdigyLover Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2003
    The only way this wouldn't be the worst idea yet, is if Lucas hired another director and screenwriter to make these films (George staying on only as exec producer and story consultant).

The SW franchise suffered a giant black eye with these horrible prequels and deserves to ride off into the sunset with dignity. This would be the only reason I personally would support it.

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    This thread does not belong in this forum.

This forum is for discussion of the Star Wars saga as it stands, not speculation on EU and any sequels fans might like to see. Discussions of sequels have always been directed to the SW Community forum since Saga began.

One of the two moderators should know this.
    This thread needs to be redirected.

11. BattleDroid1138

BattleDroid1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 6, 2000
    Ummm... I think we are talking about the saga here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.