main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Holy retcons, Batman! the Yuuzhan Vong where going to be in the CW's

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Vidianefficiency, Apr 22, 2015.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Them being from another galaxy, and not having the same connection to the force as the GFFA citizens do, should remain canon. Take those two things away, and the Vong become....well less alien.....and easier to defeat.

And I dont think they are going to ever be villains to the OT cast, whether that be in the ST or beyond. It just isn't marketable for the Big 3 to go up against a non-Imperial, and non-darkside threat. People want lightsaber duels in their film anyways.

If there is any mention to them in future films, It would probably be reserved to vague/implications of a possible future threat to the galaxy.

I think if we get a Vong Invasion to happen in the canon GFFA, It should basically be the new Canon's "Legacy". Whether in a spin off film/animated series/comics/books, It could take place long after the OT cast is gone, new GFFA, new generation....new enemy. Instead of the return of the Sith/Empire being a threat to the heroes, it would be the Vong, unlike the old EU Legacy.

Besides a Vong Invasion happening, should have major consequences to the GFFA (worlds damaged/altered, many dead, unlike any other conflict that has happened before, etc). And I don't see Disney comfortable showing these consequences on screen, and replacing the empire and darksiders in film, with this strange alien enemy with a very different ideology, that leaves many "scars" upon the GFFA. Which is why the best option is to set an Invasion far into the future (maybe where there is no more empire variation).

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    While I didn't necessarily like NJO too much (oh the irony...), I did actually think the Yuuzhan Vong were a cool idea. Threat from outside the galaxy and unaffiliated with the Sith/Dark Side? Okay. Organic technology? Also interesting. Though if you want to come up with a threatening non-Dark Side enemy that plays with what's been established about the Force so far, I think something more Lovecraftian in origin would work better.

Like I said in another thread, if you want to go dark and scary with the Star Wars universe storywise, you don't want to go so far you'd end up alienating the audience (i.e. killing main characters or franchise mainstays left and right). And don't make the invading race/group too important to the history of the galaxy (you can make them have presence thousands of years earlier, but they shouldn't be influencing the galaxy at large).

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    One thing I wouldn't like them to do is to imply that Vong Forcelessness was because they were extragalactic. If they did that, it would imply that the GFFA is special among the trillion or so galaxies out there, and only it has the Force. Do not want. I much prefer a Star Wars in which the Force is assumed to permeate the entire universe, thank you very much.

In the EU of course, this was addressed - it was explicit that the Vong were once a Force-sensitive people, but that they lost their connection to it in a certain way. But I fear that if they were to bring the Vong in, they might just ignore that, and take the lazy route and say "they don't have the Force because they aren't from the GFFA", which would totally screw up the whole perception of the SWU.

The4thSniporr likes this.
  4. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    And if the Vong and their "relationship" to the Force did become canon, I think it should later be implied that their relationship to it is not completely lacking/void, its just on a different kind of "frequency"/relationship then the life from the GFFA. And it would remain true that the force is apart of all living things.

From the wookipedia

"The Yuuzhan Vong could not be sensed or affected directly by the Force as they had been stripped of it around 15,000 BBY. However, it was theorized by some Jedi, particularly Jacen Solo that the Vong were connected to the Force in a way that the Jedi could not sense, because the Jedi believed that all life depended on a symbiotic relationship with the Force to at least some degree."

5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I highly doubt that many people will get this reference but.....
    [​IMG]

I don't have an opinion either way on the Vong, mostly because I don't know... well much about them other than the small bits I read on wookiepedia. I thought whoever described them as Species 8472 was pretty spot on though.....

6. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I think it would be great if the Vong made tiny cameos throughout the movies, TV series, and comics. I don't necisarily need to see a new take on the Yuuzhan Vong war. I can just read the NJO for that. But having them appear would just be cool fan service and honestly kind of creepy knowing that these guys are still around in the new canon and are watching and scouting.

Also...
    Here!:

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

Disney did this to the EU warning Language

8. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Not even close! THIS is what they did to the EU:

But then again, I don't have a problem with it. It was necessary to move forward with the franchise.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Yeah well, I do have a problem with it.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  10. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    [face_sigh]Welp, it's not like they removed from the it from face of the planet, so you can still have your head canon.

ARC_RC-7567 and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014

This so much I don't think people understand that the movies and TCW just did not work with the EU anymore.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  12. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    Is it bad that I laughed at that to much?

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Nah It's just brothers being brothers There were more funny versions but...

14. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I don't have any problem with the Vong being a part of the Star Wars canon Universe sometime in the future (and I think it would be quite awhile before they would ever appear as the ST seems to mostly be about the Empire still) as long as they keep them within the same galaxy. I think turning Star Wars into an alien invasion story from a different galaxy would be an absolutely horrible idea to put on the big screen and I don't think too many people would be that thrilled with it.

We see enough alien invasion movies already in the cinema. Why would we want to see one in Star Wars.

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe because Star Wars is partially inspired from such alien invasion movies and fiction books of the early to mid 20th century. I think there is one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe irl. Sure, it's a pretty amazing Star Wars galaxy we live in on here. But a man would have to be some kind of fool to think we're all alone in this universe.:cool:

Ichor_Razor and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

And it's a big enough galaxy for them to find things to fight within their own GFFA. No need to turn Star Wars into Independence Day.

17. Octavian Dibar

Octavian Dibar Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2015
    But....that means we miss out on snappy one-liners from Will Smith... :_|

[​IMG]
    "Welcome to Coruscant!"​

18. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014

Lucas already did that back in TPM when he had Anakin land inside the mother ship and launch a missile. Star Wars is about wars and invasions, I don't see the problem with the Vong. Maybe some authors were a problem, but as characters they're good.

19. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    The Vong were great because they introduced an "Outside Context Problem" into SW, which is always interesting.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Can you explain what the outside Context problem is.

21. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    The main problem with the vong is that the whole balance of the force concept would be in jeopardy, is their galaxy beholden to the force? If so who is their counter balance? Is the force a GFFA thing or does it cover the universe? I just think that it was a nice idea for star trek but not the Wars.

22. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Yes the Force goes beyond the GFFA, even in the galaxy the vong originated from. The reason why they don't have the same connection to the force as the people in the GFFA do, is not because they aren't from the GFFA.

The force was stripped from them by the intelligence of their homeworld because they were (and still were after the stripping, but at least they now cant manipulate the force for evil against others) a warmongering species of conquerors. The Vong could still be connected to the force in someway, but their relationship with it ceased to be a symbiotic one like the people of the GFFA are used to.

23. Vidianefficiency

Vidianefficiency Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2015
    That's my whole point their non connection to the force makes a complete mockery out of the main concept that GL cherished and that's balance in the force. I personally want to see everything in the SW universe to be centred around this balance.

Don't be too attached and don't be too detached, great real life lessons, the vong basically don't fit into that narrative.

24. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Looking at their history section on the wookipedia, about the stuff that happened to them before they left their galaxy, has potential to be made into a book someday. Showing us the origins of the Vong and the living homeworld they had a symbiotic relationship to. More of their galaxy and species that existed in it (including droid civilizations), the wars, and in a time period when they could still use the force and eventually become darksiders (until they got stripped).

Darksiders that are so much different then the Sith, and don't even use lightsabers, would be interesting to see.

25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

TPM was more like our traditional war movies then Independence Day. Don't think you were interpetting what I meant correctly. The whole concept of aliens from another galaxy invading star wars is what I was referring to when I said it doesn't need to be like Independence Day. Aliens from another world invading us would be just like aliens from another galaxy invading star wars.

darklordoftech likes this.