HOLY SHAMALOEYS!! It's paintball time!!

Discussion in 'Chicago, IL' started by JodoKast74, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    <<TLDR Warning>>

What's the difference between the A5's hopper and the X7's hopper, other than the fact that it's flatter on the top (making it look like a squashed and smoothened Richochet R5 hopper)? I'd be interested in buying one of those hoppers, if only to completely open up my line of sight through my red dot sight. The accessory rails are an excellent upgrade, in my opinion. I can see why you call it a cosmetic-only upgrade, but for people like me who don't like iron sights, it's one less thing to have to buy. The magazine is the cosmetic upgrade in my opinion, although it doubles as a "tool storage" container. I'd probably drop the smaller, straight magazine on there because there's be no way to lay flat on your stomach and fire with that huge block protruding out of the bottom.

In all, I'd love to have one of these things, but it really looks like this is more like an "A5 v1.5". If you don't have a marker, this is a great place to start, but if you have an A5, then you're probably better off putting more money into the marker you have.

In any event, I'd love to take a shot at designing a professional-grade Tippmann marker. I've been pretty good at designing things in the past, so let me know what you think of this idea (if you can actually read the whole thing):

I'd start with a F2000 body--a newer "bullpup" design that internalizes most of the barrel (making the gun much shorter without compromizing accuracy). I'd leave everything alone, except for the the grenade launcher and sight, which would be optional. The most interesting departure from today's paintball markers is that this design would feature an internal hopper and feeder mechanism. To accomplish this, the entire stock would have to be hollowed out (including the part above the magazine), which would form an internal 100+ round hopper/loader. Just above where the magazine meets the body, I'd install a gigantic vertically-mounted, electrically powered cyclone feeder with an off-the-shelf laser emitter/sensor in the chamber that would verify that each shot was loaded before firing (even if you could pop the barrel out, paint breaks inside this thing would be something to avoid like the plague). To power the Cyclone feeder and laser system, the magazine would could hold a couple of AA NiMH rechargable batteries, which are available from any grocery store for about $20. The last thing that I'd do is to install a set of ports on either side of the stock for compressed gas and paintballs (remember, this thing has to be ambidextrous). In order to feed air and paint, I'd design a backpack with holster for a compressed-air tank and an integrated 500-1000 round reinforced rectangular hopper. To get the paint and air to the gun, a flexible .75 caliber hose with the air line spiraled around it would probably do the trick.

In essence, the gun would be continuously fed paint in almost any natural standing position until you laid down or fired up at an extremely high angle that made it impossible for gravity to feed the gun's internal magazine. If that happened, you'd have that internal magazine to run off of. Based on the price of the A-5 and the assorted mods out there, I definitely think that something like this could be built and sold for under $500.
  2. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Christ dude.

You've got too much time on your hands.
  3. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    I only post a few times each year, so I try to make up for it. ;)

Edit: Further proof of my insanity. Not that cheesy Powerpoint-generated images help . . . they generally make things worse. Unfortunately, as I wait for the next train home, it's all I can do.
  4. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
  5. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    That link didn't work FYI.

I looked through the X-7 product manual and the guts of the X-7 are pretty much an A-5. I don't want to say they are exactly an A-5 but even the receiver housing looks very much like the receiver on the A-5.

I think I read somewhere that if you had an A-5 anything released for the X-7 should fit on it. Whether or not that is fact remains to be seen. I guess if you are looking for a marker this would be a good one but if you already have an A-5 you are good to go then. This wouldn't be a performance upgrade it would only be a visual one.

Oh Bry, if you are looking for an offset hopper, I have the OpsGear one that is pretty good if you want it. The only reason I'm not using it is the stock hopper looks a little better on my marker. $20 bucks and it is yours. That is what I paid for it and it is unused.

Also if you don't use the iron sights how do you aim? The Force? I know that is how Bosh aims.
  6. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    I resized the image, so it was down for a minute. Try it again and see if it works.

The one thing that annoys me a bit is the price of the X-7. $330?! Come on. The accessories are really expensive too. Thanks for the offer on the offset hopper--I think I'll stick with my Tac-Cap for the time being (perhaps I'll pick up a X-7 hopper on eBay).

As far as shooting is concerned, I almost always fire with the marker's stock jammed into my shoulder, but it's hard to say whether I shoot through the sight or blind fire more often. I'm not sure about your marker, but mine is almost too heavy to accurately fire with one hand. Anyway, if you're not paying attention, or you're missing wide I always use the sight. Unfortunately, the sight whittles away your peripheral vision to nearly zero, and makes it much harder to see and successfully dodge incoming fire. Last year, you almost nailed me with about two dozen shots while I took aim at someone else (probably Brickout) in the Embassy. For more hectic situations, I just blind fire. Practicing like a madman (thanks to several thousand rounds of leftover ammo) and having a enormous 20" barrel helps you figure out where the gun is pointed with a reasonable amount of certainty.

Last fall I did terribly. I missed at least half of the games because I had paint break in the barrel every dozen or so shots, and when I went to get my air tank filled, the guy managed to drain it (I'm not sure how). I still haven't been able to figure out what was causing all of those breaks because I did so many things to my marker in such a short period of time beforehand (added that 20" barrel, polished the internals, and lubed/reset the Cyclone feeder).
  7. Hazmatt Jedi Master

star 4
    Q-Loader, FTW. If I wasn't in pay-off-all-the-bills-now mode, you'd see one of these on my A5 in a coupla weeks.
  8. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    I aim to please, bitches.

Bosh
    "bitches"
  9. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    By the way, how's that A5?

I followed the link you showed me and looked up a review of the QLoader on Warpig. The design is pretty interesting--for anyone who hasn't really looked into a QLoader and is mildly interested in learning more, try that review. Basically, they took a standard pod and added a spring-loaded central screw that, when released, can drive paintballs out at speeds exceeding that of any marker today. What's more, it doesn't require batteries, and will feed in any direction (upside down, for instance). However, there are several significant downsides: you have to pre-load each pod--a lengthy process that cannot be performed during a game. Because of that, it's a good idea to load up with a half-dozen of these pods ($20 each after you buy the system), making this one of the most expensive upgrades you can buy. Finally, *I* think it's ugly.

One of those things that really proves that I'm cut out to be an engineer is the way that once I find an interesting problem, it's almost impossible for me to stop thinking about it until I solve it. Last night I wound up pacing around my room until 2 AM, trying to hammer out a way to implement a feed system in that F2000-based marker I mentioned earlier. Essentially, I realized after doing some research on the leading forced-feed paintball systems that installing a modified version of the Cyclone feeder in a vertical position would not work because it would most likely turn the contents of the internal magazine into liquid goo if it was forced to try to feed at anything near 10 bps. Those claws were designed to keep each individual paintball in its respective slot, not scoop up balls like a waterwheel. I came up with several solutions, including one that involved an aggressive tank tread-like belt fed system that would probably be too expensive to maintain due to wear and tear. What seemed to work the best on paper was a sharply slanted trough (slightly wider that the width of a paintball at the bottom) that fed directly into the top quarter of a vertically-mounted Pulse drivewheel. From there, paintballs would be drawn down and around the drivewheel before being rocketed into a short vertical tube leading to the breach. Instead of using a laser or LED "eye" system to figure out when each shot was loaded, like the pulse, I'd track the electromagnetic resistance caused by a line of paintballs leading into the breach to tell the motor when to turn on and off. Anyway, that's about it for my rambling about this project. I have to do a bunch of senior design stuff this year and next, so I'll see if I can actually produce this thing using stereolithography.
  10. Fett402 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Do we have a time frame yet??

BTW...all you peeps are weird! That is all.
  11. TomTav Jedi Knight

star 1
    What does:

TLDR

Mean?

Oh, and I am realy going to try and make paintball this year.
    Could I bring a non CF person along?

Thank You and Good Night
  12. Bosh_Talk Jedi Master

star 4
    TLDR = To Long, Didn't Read = "Go back to Internets skool and learn not to be so vapid & wordy"
  13. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Absolutely! Provided of course the sting of a paintball doesn't scare them off. Also a word of warning, this can become addictive. ;)

14. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Not going to make it this time. :(
  15. Hazmatt Jedi Master

star 4
    Enh, I like it.

Essentially, paintballs are too fragile to be handled in any sort of forced-feed way that would be nice. I've seen a couple of backpack systems using compressed gas and while they do work, they are HORRIBLY inefficient. Plus, now you are carrying around an extra tank and thousands of paintballs and weight becomes a huge factor. Finally, a wise Scotsman will someday say, "The more complex the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." If ever there was a sport to benefit from the KISS principle**, it is paintball. I'm even starting to eschew remote air for my marker and just carry a tank.

I'm sure it's just because I am old and lazy, but if I can't play a 10 minute game with what's in my hopper, I'm not sure I want to play.

** "Rock and roll all night and party every day."
  16. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the remote is about as complex as you want to get. Any more complex and you risk pulling a Peaches. That being where you spend more time fixing your marker than on the field. That also something you definitely want to consider in your design.

There is a documentary series called The Way of the Gun on The History Channel. Try and watch the episode that deals with the development of the AK-47. It talks about how Kalashnikov intentionally designed the gun to have as few moving parts as possible to prevent jams and allow for absolute minimal maintenance. The end result is actually quite an elegant design. Then watch the folly of the us designers in the M-16 episode. It took several iterations to get that weapon right. All the while soldiers were dying in the field because of poor design decisions and many were/are the result of the complexity of the M-16 and its internal mechanisms.
  17. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    I like the skepticism about the remote hopper because if you guys (both scenario paintball enthusiasts) don't like the idea, then a lot of other people would probably voice the same complaints.

I don't know if either of you guys were ever into Super Soakers, but I got into it when they introduced the CPS (Constant Pressure System) line. I owned a couple of them, but the one I want to mention was the one that was essentially a CPS2000 with the 2 gallon backpack system. I hated that squirt gun, because the backpack was incredibly heavy (for a 12-year old kid), bulky, and it bit into your back due to a severe lack of padding. Still, that design is the inspiration for my F2000 concept.

The five key qualities that I wanted to to work on for this concept were:

-Modern "Bullpup" design with high-end 20" barrel
    -Complete elimination of the gun-mounted hopper and air system
    -10 bps minimum with standard E-trigger, and an effective range of over 110 meters
    -Integrated microprocessor featuring on-the-fly muzzle velocity adjustment, shot counter, and additional features introduced by add-ons
    -Optional digital scope with integrated laser range-finder that would automatically adjust muzzle speed for the current distance

I'd never fool around with the idea of a integrated backpack feeder, mostly because it's too hard to maintain enough pressure on the balls throughout the path to the chamber during firing and incredibly easy to break them when you bend that pressurized [by a hundred paintballs rammed into each other] feed line. My idea was more akin to an IV tube. Slap a set of very strong neodymium magnets on the end of the line with a pushbutton valve, and you can rip off the line whenever you want and run off the internal hopper. That way, if you don't mind reloading every 100 shots (like the QLoader guys), you could eschew the feeder tube.

Haz, everyone has their own set of preferences, but I find that it's better to take as much weight as possible off my wrists and move it elsewhere. The first gun I fired wasn't a paintball gun, so things like hoppers and air tanks drive me nuts. Of course, my design has its downsides. It's the paint feed line that's the biggest problem--while most people can deal with a flexible coiled remote, the paint feed line will have to be smooth and crush-proof (like a 3/4 diameter garden hose). I still have a bag of paint around here somewhere--if I get a chance, I'll go see how long it takes to reload a hopper using a garden hose filled with paintballs.

Anyway, let me know what you think--the more criticism, the better. Like I said, I might be able to do this for one of my senior design projects (the dean of my college will be more interested in the microprocessor control aspect of the project, so I may need to get a few senior mechanical engineers in on this to do the integrated loader prototype on a stereolithograph). I was thinking about it before, and I'm not sure if what I said about the loader made sense, so here it goes again:

Imagine a circular table saw. Drop a trough on top of it. Make the saw blade a half-inch thick, grind off the teeth, hollow out a rounded groove, and add soft-paddles every few ball-widths (like the Pulse loader picture I mentioned earlier). There's the basic design of the internal loader. Balls fall into the rotating wheel and are sucked beneath the trough into the bottom of the stock, spun around the wheel, and shot straight upward towards the breach.

------------------------------

In regards to the AK-47/M-16 debate (the forums over at IMG.com have had a similar discussion running for a few weeks), the AK-74 was obviously built with such low tolerances that it can take a tremendous amount of abuse before jamming. Because of that, however, it's very inaccurate at distances of above 100 meters. While you can hit a single person in a crowd at 215 meters with an M-16, it has problem with the way it vents gas because sucks fine sand into it
  18. JodoKast74 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm still waiting for the 7 paintball threads.
  19. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    Heh--from now on, I should just start a new thread called "The Annual Overly-Technical Paintball Thread." If we had a mod that could move all of my posts over there right now, I'd be all for splitting this topic.

Getting back to a more general CF Paintball discussion, have you guys ever done some kind of "Best of . . . " awards for the most kills, best wipeout, etc?
  20. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Better known as the paintball video? Yeah that has been done.
  21. EliteMacFreak Jedi Knight

star 1
    According to the CPX .pdf, we have to sign up by today or face an additional $10 charge. Who do we notify and pay?

~Bryan

22. darthgoat Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah someone needs to get on the game with that. I'm not paying an extra $10 bucks.
  23. Hazmatt Jedi Master

star 4
    I, for one, missed that clause when we were signing up. -1 Challenge Park (at least for private games).

I'm sure it will all work out OK.
  24. TomTav Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have tried to read through this thread - but gave up

Was the time ever set for this?

25. DrJawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    Okay, I want to make sure not to mess up my mask lens, what's the best way to clean it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.