Holy Smokes! Cwash Landing! The Short Round Thread

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

I thought he was a really cool and entertaining character.

Here we go for the history:

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Short_Round

Any other Short Round fans around?
  2. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    I have to say that Short Round and John Connor in Terminator 2 are the rare times where a kid character is actually pretty kick @$$. I loved Short Round and I still love that he is the one driving the car in TOT. I have to say that the scenes with him and Indy definitely have some comradie that is actually touching. When they put on each others hat I almost start crying. Or how about when they are both punching the lights out of someone? That is classic.
  3. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm a super big Short Round fan. I love the part in Temple when he is yelling at Willie "I gotta save indy!" and then she just lets him run up to the big guy and Shorty hits him yelling "I kill you, I kill you!" That was so cool.
  4. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Definitely. My favorite scene of the whole series is when he grabs Shorty and says "I'm alright, kid" and does the wink. From that point on Temple of Doom is simply an amazing ride.

Short Round's theme music is great too.

5. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Oh boy, I can see this thread starting a new trend around here. :p

Anyway, Short Round made ToD for me. Being the first Indy film I saw, it was pretty dark and downright disturbing in some scenes for a young kid. Shorty was the comic relief and the character that always managed to get me to crack a smile. He made it a lot more fun. And of course, who could forget classic lines like:

"Hold on, lady. We go for ride!"
    "You call him Dr. Jones, doll!"
    "Lady! I can't breath!"

Great stuff! :cool:
  6. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Let's not forget the classic Short Round line:

"He no nuts, he crazy."
  7. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally I like

"Indy your heart, cover your heart"

I know we're talking about Short Round but I love Mola Rom.
  8. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I love Indy, Shorty, Mola Rom and everyone but Willie!
  9. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Spielberg has always had a knack for directing children in great performances (Henry Thomas in E.T. and Christian Bale in EMPIRE OF THE SUN) and the Short Round character is one of the best examples. Here's a kid that had never acted at all, let alone in a big Hollywood movie, and he was endearing, he did action, humor and emotional scenes very, very well. I believed the friendship between Indy and Short Round from the beginning. There was a real chemistry there that worked and contributed immeasurably to the fun and adventure of the film.
  10. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4

Well put.
  11. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
  12. Well_Of_Souls Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    One of my favorite scenes in TOD is the campfire scene where Indy and Shorty are playing cards. Classic.

"I am very little, you cheat very big!"
  13. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Now I'm wondering how amazing a Spielberg-directed TPM could have been.
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I just watched ToD this afternoon and seeing Short Round again, I can't get over that this was his first acting gig. I didn't know that. It definitely doesn't show. Spielberg made a great choice with casting him.
  15. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Short Round was great. It is very hard to believe that he had never acted before.
  16. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4

Believe me I think of something similar everytime I see ROTJ, so close, damn directors guild or whatever.
  17. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    I view Short Round as a comical sidekick. But, that's ok TOD is a very dark film. It's actually my favorite.
  18. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Exactly. He works perfectly with the dark nature of the film. And in some cases, Willie serves the same purpose, but Shorty definitely takes the prize.

TOD used to be my favorite for the longest time(it was the first Indy film I saw as well) but Raiders grew on me over the years. I still have a soft spot for TOD, though. It's just one of those films.
  19. GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't get me wrong Indiana Jones is one of the greatest film characters ever created but TOD for me is made by Shortround on heroes side and Mola Ram on the villains side. I'm such a dork that if a serious situation were to occur with a plane crashing I was on I would probably say "No More Parachutes" like Short Round.
  20. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

Exactly. He works perfectly with the dark nature of the film.

Looking back on it now, it was kind of daring to give him a child as a sidekick in such a dark film.
  21. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It worked out great though, I'd have to say that Shorty is one of my favorite indy characters. I thought it was really funny in TOD when indy was posessed, (or whatever you wanna call it), and shorty says I love you and Indy slaps him! [face_laugh] I must be heartless but to me that was funny!
  22. Rick_McGollum Jedi Knight

star 1
    You are heartless!
  23. GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know, nobody warned me to cover my heart and now it's gone. :oops:
  24. WookieeWarrior9 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Shorty is one of the few times that a kid was in a big blockbuster movie and it didn't feel like he was stuck in there to sell action figures. Shorty rules.
  25. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Short Round is hands down the best. He is a lesson in the right way to use comic relief. This kid is classic. legendary.

-Seldon
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.