main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends HOME, a young Yoda story. Last Post and Epilogue MAY 24

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jodiwent, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    This is a Young Yoda story for Drabbo_Fetts thread.

I hinted at this story in one of my other stories. Reaing Drabbo's thread gave me the bug to flesh it out.

Home
    Part 1.

One would have to look in the archives of the Jedi Temple to find the name of the planet, and the name of the small green frog like people, but they did exist. Despite their long life spans, by the time of the Jedi purges, there were very few of these beings left; Maybe only one.

This however is a story of when there were many still living, and a time when the Jedi code had just been changed but not cemented. It was not as strictly enforced as in the orders latter days. The end of the second Sith wars and the end of Darth Bane had been little over a hundred years before. Peace had been brought to the Republic; well almost.

As on a few other planets in the galaxy, the home world of the little green people is at war. Not war with great Sith Lords, but a civil war. Between the peaceful little green beings and the larger orange beings. It is not so much as a civil was as it is a more aggressive carrying out of the raids of the larger beings, and the smaller ones fighting back.

For all intensive purposes, they are the same spices, but the larger orange beings have always wanted what the smaller green beings had, and if they couldn't get it, they would take it. Then they started destroying what they didn't take. The raids started changing even more. It is not only the small beings things the larger ones want to destroy. It is the small ones themselves the big ones want to destroy.

The villages of the green beings have become nothing more than their own prison camps and the small beings nothing more than slaves to the bigger orange beings. No, not just slaves, even less. The orange beings consider the green beings as dirt. No different than the dirt one of the camp overseers kicks a small boy into for being too slow.

The overseer and his cronies laugh as the boy stands and wipes off the mud. He is kicked down again.

"Stay there," the overseer tells the boy. "Maybe you'll learn what you are down there where you belong."

The boy does not stay down. "Know what I am," the boy says. "Know where I belong. Know what you - - " As he says 'are' the boy is knocked into the mud again.

The other green people see the boy stand again and are given a ray of hope that they can still have dignity in such horrible conditions. That hope is dashed as the boy is again knocked down. This time the overseer holds the boy's face in the mud.

"If you don't stay down," the overseer tells him, "you'll stay under it forever."

Everyone watches to see if the boy would defy the overseer. The boy wanted to. The boy wanted to stand. He didn't care if he was killed, it would show the others, they could fight back in small ways. Only one thing kept the little boy from rising to his feet again. A voice he hears inside of himself. < "Yoda, son mine," > it said.

He replies in kind, silently, telepathically, < "yes Mother mine." >

< "Down stay," > the mother tells the son. < "Your promise to me keep. Listen to me you will. Do as I ask." >

Yoda wants to stand so much it hurts him to not, but he knows it would hurt him more to defy his mother. He hears the cry of his baby brother and knows he can not leave her here alone. He stays down. He stays alive.

The overseer thought the little frog would stand. He was all set to make an example of him. He was disappointed.

"The rest of you get back to work!" The overseer gave Yoda special instructions, "if I see you anywhere, but there in your mud hole until night fall, and I will kill you."

Yoda turned to give the orange man a defiant look, but he did not move. "Then here, stay I will." Yoda even splashes in the mud making it look like it is fun, not the punishment it is.

The overseers turn to the other green beings an their work. As they walk away Yoda can hear them joking to themselves, "Stupid frogs can't even talk right."

While he is dow

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I just knew the Yoda thread would bring good things, but this is outstanding Jodi. I loved seeing a young Yoda and I loved the images of him with his family. I'd never even thought of Yoda like this much but it was truly a delight!

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    =D= Bravo! So glad to see there will be more! :D

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I love the Yoda story but I would have the the Orange guys be brown with red or yellow eyes.

5. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    A touching story ecpecially for a Yoda fan like me.

6. Fisto89

Fisto89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Excellent! Very good job... Yoda is awesome!

7. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    oooh, great start, Jodi! :D

Heh, Yoda's a defiant youngster, as he should be.

And awww, the part where he's looking up at the sky is so sweet! Reminds me of Anakin in TPM when he looks at the stars. :(

Great job!

8. son-of-kenobi

son-of-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 16, 2004
    is there more? can you please write some more? great stuff

9. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Yes there is more :D A few more posts I think.

Thanks everyone for replying. I am on a crummy computer today, I want to post before I get cut off, so I will respond to replies later.

Home part.2

Days Later - -

After the days work, Yoda started a game with the other village younglings.

"Tag, it you are."

The boy he had tagged ran after Yoda, but saw another boy who wasn't as good at getting away.

"Tag, it you are."

Giggles, which had become scarce in the village bubble across the living area. Soon an ant hill of younglings were zig zagging back and forth; chasing each other; jumping out of the reach of the one that was 'it' at the time.

The kid that was it, jumped towards three others, including Yoda. Those three kids jumped away, and crashed in to the table where the food had been put. Not that it was really a table, more like a plank of wood propped up with sticks. The vegetables and bread slid down to the floor. The other younglings ran away, afraid of the adults' wrath.

"Back come here," Yoda called after them. "Help me fix you have to."

No one heeded his plea. With a sigh, and a drop of his ears, the six-year-old started alone to fix what they had all broken. After repairing the table, he began to put the food back on top.

It just so happened that as Yoda was doing this, the man who had pushed him away days before walked in.

"Doing what are you?" The man was the self-appointed 'boss' of the villagers since the orange people had taken over. "Food trying to sneak you are."

"Not doing that am I," Yoda insisted. "On the ground the food was. Putting it back I was."

The other villagers returning from their work heard the accusations. So did Yoda's mother.

"The food, how on the ground did it get?"

"Playing we were," Yoda admitted, "knocked it over we did." He lowered his head.

"We?" The man looked around. "See no one but you I do."

Yoda knew how bad it looked.

"Fooling around you were," the man admonished. "Ruined our food you have."

"Ruined nothing is," Yoda snapped back.

"Yoda," his mother called. "Over here you will come. Now."

The mother didn't want him near the man. "Shout at my son, you need not."

"Count this food I will. Know how much there was I do," the man said, ignoring the mother's statement. "If any missing is, out of your share it will come."

"Steal my son does not."

"See about that we will. In your sleeping places everyone wait, while count it I do."

No one had the energy to argue with the man. If the boy had taken something, they wanted to know. So they waited while the man counted. It was not long before the boss had discovered what everyone feared.

"Missing some Doughnana's there are," he informed. "The boy must have eaten them."

Everyone turned to Yoda and his family. To steal food from each other was one of the worst things anyone could do, even before the orange people ran things. Under such conditions, it was even worse.

"For them all, no food tonight." The man seemed to think he was judge and jury.

"Done nothing have I," Yoda protested. "If had I, my mother and brother nothing to do with it."

"Your tongue hold youngling," the man ordered.

"My tongue hold I will not," Yoda said as he approached the man.

"Where you hid it ready to admit, are you?"

"Hide it I did not," Yoda continued. "But know where the food is, I do."

"If hide it you did not, how know you where it is?"

"Because, young I may be. Stupid I am not."

The man, who had been telling the others what to do, looked slightly worried.

Yoda's mother was not stupid either. She said, "where the food is, tell everyone my son."

The villager's eyes now bore down on the boss instead of the youngling. Arms were folded in front of chests.

One of them asked, "yes, the missing food, where is it?"

"In his pockets it is," Yoda said as he pointed to the boss.

Two of the village men grabbed the boss and searched his pockets. The missing vegetables were there. The men put them back on the table.

10. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Next part should be up later tonight, the key word being late. ;)

11. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Home part 3

One advantage the little green people had over the larger orange people was that their smallness made it easier for stealth. Barely a foot fall could be heard as the villagers made their escape. Even the younglings were silent. None of the younglings had ever been beyond the borders of the village. None had ever been to the other side of the river that made its western boundary. That way was too dangerous. The villagers didn't dare use the north-south road. That was where the overseers kept their quarters. The only logical way out was through the gimmer forest; It made the village's eastern boundary.

Even in the dark Yoda could tell he was at the furthest point he had ever been, the point where the gimmer shoots turned into cane. Yoda remembered on day he had stood there and looked into the gimmer trees knowing that was not a place for him. Stories of monsters had been told to the young ones to keep them out of the maze of trees. The gimmer canes were thick, it soon became obvious that it was going to be harder to be silent. Every step forward was accompanied by the creaking sound of the gimmer canes being displaced by little green feet. As the plants grew thicker, they had to be moved aside as well. Little green hands would push three, four, even six sticks to the side to get past them.

Soon the villagers were deep in the forest. Yoda had found in his few years of life that he could tell how people were feeling. What he felt from mostly everyone was - - fear. Different kinds of fear. The adults seemed to be anxious. The children were outright scared. Yoda had heard the same stories of supposed monsters being in the forest, but he remembered they also had been told not to believe in things unless they had seen them with their own eyes. So far the only monsters he had ever seen had just been left back in the village. Yoda instinctively looked back an tried to 'see' if they were being followed. He sensed their escape had been successful so far. The group slowly made its way to the other side of the forest. It took them six hours of walking in the dark to come out of the trees and into cane again on the other side. This is where the villagers stopped to rest.

They had three hours until the sun began to rise. Something about the color he saw the first thing he opened his eyes even worried the calm Yoda. The orange of the morning sky made him think of the people who they were escaping from. Once his mind came into focus, he realized why. They were not the only ones in the gimmer canes. Not wanting to make a sound that could be heard, Yoda reached out to his mental link to his mother.

< "Move not Mother," > he told her. < "Stay down my turn to tell you. Alone we are not." >

Just as Yoda gave that mental warning to his mother, all of the villagers became aware of the others. When some of the little green people stood to stretch as they woke up they were seen by the troops of the orange people's army.

"So glad you frogs could join us this morning - - " The captain of the squad yelled out, "show yourselves!"

None of the green beings who hid in the gimmer canes were stupid enough to actually stand. For the ones that had been unfortunate enough to be upright before they had know the orange soldiers were their it was already too late. Blaster fire ripped through the air and into nine of the villagers. Yoda's mother could see her son jerk slightly several times.

< "Wrong what is?> She mentally asked, < "Hit are you?" >

< "No, not hit am I," > Yoda answered. < "Gone is Todo, gone is Remo, gone is - - " > He stopped himself from repeating the names of all of the fallen. < "Bring us back to the village, no intention have these beings. Kill us all they will." >

That was when all hell broke loose. The soldiers made a line that began to search the gimmer cane for the little green beings hiding among them. Smaller groups of the villagers panicked and ran in all directions. More blaster fire could be heard.

"You can't hide froggies," one of the solders said. There was the sound of blaster fi

12. Fisto89

Fisto89 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    Very good again! :) Poor Yoda... stupid orange people...

13. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    A week with out a computer! AHHHH!

I wrote a new part for this while I was away. I am actually still away, but no one seems to be reading. I'll post it when I get home.

That could be late since I am doing the D.C. to Boston part of my trip today, did Charleston to D.C. yesterdaty. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

14. darshaassant

darshaassant Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Looks good, this does. Stick around, I will. More, you will write.

15. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to replys.

Healer Leona, glad you like my little Yoda.

VaderLVR64, Yep there's more, still a few more posts to go.

Black_Saber, the Orange people are baddies and act monsterous, but I wanted them to be not a lot different than Yoda's people, not actual monsters.

Thank you collectively I must, Sidious618, Fisto89, Miana Kenobi, sonofkenobi, and darshaassant. THANKS!

---------------------------
    Home part 4

For a day the survivors of the attack kept on the move. They wanted to get as far away from the army of the orange people. By now the other solders must have found the ones that the little green people had killed. They would be followed; They might run into other patrols.

"Better we could have planned this," one of the people from Yoda's village mumbled.

"Time we didn't have," someone from the other village said in return.

"Maybe if run away we had not - - " another thought out loud.

"If stayed you had, easier for them to kill all of you made it you would," the leader of the other village made the situation clear. "Barely got away from our village we did."

The adults' conversation stopped, but the younglings' began. They had all been too frightened to talk until they stopped to rest.

"Hungry I am Momma."

"Hungry I am Papa."

"Hungry I am - - " became the younglings chant; "Hungry I am."

Yoda was the only youngling who wasn't chanting. He was too busy trying to keep his brother from crying. The tiny fellow, not even a year old, Kodo had never gone a day without eating, and he was getting fussy.

"Wait you must," one of the women told the children. "Find food we must. Maybe not for days will we eat."

Though disappointed, most of the younglings were old enough to understand.

Kodo was too young to understand anything. He was still looking around at the faces of the others and calling out one of the words he could say, "Mama?"

"Not here is Mother,"Yoda would tell Kodo. His heart broke each time. "To see Father gone she has."

The next time the group stopped, Yoda looked around the area they were in. There must be something they could eat. Other kids had the same idea. Some found berries growing on a plan near the ground. Some were eating them when their parents weren't looking. Yoda found a plant of his own to pick berries off of; Something told him not to pick them. Yoda's 'special' feelings were talking to him. Almost instantly Yoda saw one of the fathers slapping the berries out of his younglings hand.

The man yelled, "eat those not!" He told the other parents, "Gobos the younglings are eating."

The others all asked who ate the berries. They made the younglings spit them back up. Some of the younglings didn't have mothers and fathers to tell them not to eat the berries. A few hours latter, the ones who had were violently ill, and crying. Yoda thanked his 'special' feelings for warning him. Some of those younglings lay down. Some would never get back up. Both were left behind.

"Leave them we can not," some protested.

Others argued, "leave them we must."

They had heard soldiers earlier. They couldn't stay in one place.

"Cary them some could," Yoda spoke up.

"Who? You?" One of the men of the other village sourly said, "already weighed down with a burden you are."

Yoda shot back, "a burden he is not, my brother he is."

Most of the people from both villages had their own to look after. Yoda could not help another youngling and his brother both. Encourage another he could.

"Get up you must," he told a boy who had been a friend. "Walk you must."

"I can not," the boy said.

"You can!" Yoda stomped his foot on the ground. "You will!"

The boy stood weakly. He wanted to lay back down. The determined look on his friend's face kept him standing.

"Keep up you must," Yoda told him before scampering off to catch the others who had already walked away.

When the group stopped next, Yoda was happy to see his friend had kept up, and even felt better. What made all of th

16. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Good stuff Jodiwent. I have been entertained and look forward to more of your postings. Keep up the good work

17. SHADOW_MASTER_W

SHADOW_MASTER_W Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2005
    Quite an excellent story!! I always have wondered about the origins of Yoda and why their were no others of his kind.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Yikes, sorry I got lost for a bit.

Part 2 - Even young Yoda has an affintiy for the younglings... love the tag game. I'm glad Yoda was able to determine who stole the vegetables, and still he shows great compassion to that man.

Part 3 - Oh my... that is just heartbreaking. Yoda losing so many people, including his own mother... :( :(

Part 4 - Jodi, I love the feelings you show in his caring for his younger brother. And now we get a glimpse of special feelings... I'd wondered if Yoda had unknowingly used the Force to stop the man he felt woanted to his his brother.

19. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

I don't think I have ever read a young Yoda story it is good.
    I find it hard to imagine Yoda as a youngling
    As I read I keep seeing him as old and wrinkled.
    I hope Kodo survives

20. darshaassant

Mar 13, 2005
    "Special feelings", Yoda has. Hmmm. Can the Jedi come soon to pick him up?

21. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Jodiwent, have you forgotten this story? Just trying to keep it real!

22. jodiwent

Feb 11, 2000
    darth_gersh Nope, havn't forgoten, just been too busy to type. Thanks for reading.

Healer_Leona Part 4, ;) could be, could be ;)

Thanks for reading, glad you like it, shadow_master_w and Gkilkenny

darshaassnt soon they will :D

-------------------------------------

Home part 5

One good thing about the rain was that the two little green boys had plenty to drink. The bad thin was that the sides of the mountains turned to mud. Being so small made walking in that mud even harder for Yoda. With his every step, his entire leg would disappear. There was another way the boy could travel, but he soon found out that was no good either.

"On tight, hang on," Yoda told Kodo as he hopped up into the tree branches. At first this worked' He hopped from tree to tree to tree until the slippery ran made him fall to the ground. "Stupid tree - - "

It was a somewhat padded landing. Yoda extricated himself from the mud he had fallen into.

< "Did the tree make you fall?" >

Yoda wasn't sure if he was really hearing a voice, or if it was his special feelings talking to him. "Humph - - " the boy voiced.

He unstrapped Kodo from his back and looked at his muddy brother. A sigh of relief came to Yoda's breath. "Not hurt you are."

Kodo giggled, cooed, and played with his brother's finger. Yoda wondered how his tiny sibling could be so happy when he knew how hungry they both were. Yoda noticed that Kodo was looking back up at the tree they had fallen from.

To his great joy, Yoda saw something he knew they could eat growing on said tree. Standing to pick some off, he apologized to the tree, "Sorry I am for calling you stupid. A very great tree you are."

Yoda didn't know if the tree could understand, but he figured he'd play it safe. The older boy shoved one of the fruit in his mouth before mushing up one for the little one. They hadn't eaten in a few days, so both ate until they were stuffed.

"Thank you great tree. Now sure I am, the top we will reach."

A slight wind blew and it seemed to the boys as if the tree was bowing to him. Yoda bowed in return. Again he was ready to trudge through the mud with his precious bundle on his back. Indeed by the end of the second day after they ate the two little boys reached the crest of the mountain.

Yoda looked out over the landscape that opened up on the other side. Even the air was different. He breathed in the crisp, dry, breeze that washed over him. He held his brother up as he had done many times on their journey. Off in the distance the trees ended, and a spaceport could be seen; A buzzing of ships could be seen coming and going from it. It was the only technological place on the planet. It was where traders bought and sold goods that the people of the planet grew or things they needed. "Going there we are."

Yoda had no idea what he was going to do when they got there, he just knew they were going.

A wave of sadness washed over him too. This was the year Father had promised to take him to the spaceport. The fact that he was not going with his father burned in his heart. To forget about that, Yoda kept walking. No matter how tiered he was he kept moving. They were going downhill now, so it went a little faster. When the sun got low, he stopped.

They ate one of the fruits he had taken from the tree. It wasn't until they had stopped that Yoda realized just how tired he really was. Part of him wanted to find a stream where he could wash off the mud from the other side of the mountain that caked both him and Kodo. Instead he chose something else. "Sleep we will. In the morning wash we can."

The little green boy found a pile of dry leaves to make a sort of bed for them to sleep in. They curled up together and fell into slumber.

"Aww cute - - "

Those were the words that woke Yoda.

"What are you doing out here all alone little fellow?"

The voice did not sound threatening, nor were his special feelings telling him there was danger, but when Yoda opened his eyes, and saw a strange large being reaching for Kodo, he j

23. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

its funny!

looks like Yoda wasn't easy to understand when he was young either.;)

24. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Good stuff jodiwent. I liked the humor with the names and such. Keep up the good work!

25. darshaassant

Mar 13, 2005
    Awww... cute! Yeah the Jedi are here! I like how the padawan thought Yoda was an animal. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.